The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Basket illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Trying to squeeze a taller but skinny and flexible girl into a sword basket. Is there a trick to this?
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
If you can put your hands on The Magic of The Pendragons DVD volume I, it covers everything you need to know about the sword basket. The topics covered are: history & concepts, why NOT to use fire, sword choice & safety, basic swordmanship, the foulard, how to get into the basket and placing the swords in the basket.

A very valuable resource, well worth studying!

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Depending on the basket and the girl
You may need another basket or another girl.

We have the same problem with a milk can or a small sub trunk. A lot of the old illusions were made for shorter assistants and there is no way to make then work.

You could cut a 12 inch hole in the bottom and put it on a rolling table. She would step all the way through then crunch, back, inside.
I know it sounds stupid. I'm just thinking out loud,
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Chris,

You didn't indicate who made the Sword Basket or what material it is made of, as this will have a tremendous impact as to what you can do.

Mark's suggestion is right on. Also, see if you can track down the Ralph Adams book and DVD or the first (I think) Rand Woodbury illusion book. Both have ideas in them that will allow you to increase the available space for the assistant while also making the prop more deceptive.

Sincerely,
David
Chris Westfall
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
252 Posts

Profile of Chris Westfall
Ya I don't think I did my research. I got it used off an up north magician for a few hundred bucks. He used to do it with his son. Its weaved and round with a semi-large rounded bottom but the top is the issue, cant seem to get past the opening. Ill try and dig up the make I feel like its definitely and old model.
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Or a photo?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You may have been duped, for years Abbott's Magic was just about the only Basket maker in the U.S. They then changed to fiberglass, when their American Indian person passed away. The only other Baskets that looked decent were Owen's and Kovari from England.

The basket is not round, nor is the lid, they are more square or rectangle then anything else.

Old illusion were built for a woman usually 5'7" and 120 pounds, 36, 24, 36. I made the 35 - 24 - 36 up, wishful thinking. LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Basket illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL