The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Free Effect With a Cellphone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
What's up everyone I recently submitted a magic effect to a magazine and a couple other places. The response over all has been great but the recuring theme of the feedback is that the effects conditions are too specific to sell. I have to agree, it would really stink to purchase a magic trick for a phone and then realize that it won't work for your specific model.

I do feel like this is a simple idea that is worth sharing though and would like to put it here on the forums so that you guys can check it out and maybe we can brainstorm some ways to make it more accessible to different typs of phones.

The link to the tutorial is below. Basically you cause all of your apps to change to the app freely selected by a spectator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSD0D7TVvAA

If you like what you see please subscribe to my You Tube channel or purchase one of my other Wire Effects. Thank you all!
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1820 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
Thanks for sharing very cool

I will Defently give this a try
C.J.Magic
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of C.J.Magic
Goatears, that was such a thoughtful and generous offer. You also have a great presence on video. Theater background?
MRAC
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MRAC
Thanks for sharing. Good idea and nice teaching! One thing that might give the secret away is that the spectator can see the "status indicators" on the lower end of the screen (showing on which screen you are). Not sure this is something a spectator would focus on but it was the first thing I saw when watching the video. Perhaps there is a way to hide this ...
Thanks again and all the best
M.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Hmmm....seems pretty transparent to me and think anyone with the slightest bit of "phone knowledge" would suspect just as I did when watching the demo. Your screen "dots" are a dead give-away. You can eleviate that by using a custom launcher and hide those things, though I still don't think that it wouldn't be somewhat obvious as to what is going on.

Just my thoughts.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2015, C.J.Magic wrote:
Goatears, that was such a thoughtful and generous offer. You also have a great presence on video. Theater background?

Thank you very much. Yep, I have taken theater in High School and college. Thank you for the compliment.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2015, MRAC wrote:
Thanks for sharing. Good idea and nice teaching! One thing that might give the secret away is that the spectator can see the "status indicators" on the lower end of the screen (showing on which screen you are). Not sure this is something a spectator would focus on but it was the first thing I saw when watching the video. Perhaps there is a way to hide this ...
Thanks again and all the best
M.

Yeah, this was definitely something I was aware of when I put it together at first but through the years in all of my performances I haven't had anybody say anything about it. Some phones display it more prominantly if you'd like you could easily cover it with your thumb or fingers.
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2015, tmoca wrote:
Hmmm....seems pretty transparent to me and think anyone with the slightest bit of "phone knowledge" would suspect just as I did when watching the demo. Your screen "dots" are a dead give-away. You can eleviate that by using a custom launcher and hide those things, though I still don't think that it wouldn't be somewhat obvious as to what is going on.

Just my thoughts.

I haven't found this to be the case in general. There have been exceptions from time to time but I perform it in such a casual way that it is never really meant to be a miracle. For the most part it is received very well.

The custom launcher idea is very cool. I have yet to try it out on my phone but it was brought up by another magician while we were jamming and the possibilities for this type of effect were greatly amplified with this addition.
MRAC
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MRAC
Maybe I'll give the custom launcher a try or play around with the finger cover - but as is I wouldn't dare to perform. Thanks
M.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4936 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think too that using the light assist widget takes away from the effect. A lot of people are barely aware that widgets exist (much less use them) so first impression might be that the light assist widget is a "magic app" that causes the change (especially because you push it and turn the phone around while the "magic" happens) it would probably be stronger to just cover with your hand and use a gesture (no touch on some android phones) or slip your thumb side across the screen to make the change. (I also agree the 6 dots are a give away too but a custom launcher may solve that part). probably good too that it is not on the App Store for any system so the curious can't look it up like a lot of cell phone magic apps although depending on your youtube tags, it still may pop in a search.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Quote:
On Jan 19, 2015, MRAC wrote:
Maybe I'll give the custom launcher a try or play around with the finger cover - but as is I wouldn't dare to perform. Thanks
M.

That's fine, I can only say that neither of these have been a big enough problem during performance.
MRAC
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of MRAC
Thanks - perhaps I'm just not bold enough ;-)
goatears
View Profile
Veteran user
390 Posts

Profile of goatears
Hey y'all I've been experimenting! Using the Apex launcher you are able to get rid of the page markers at the bottom of the screen and you have more screens available to you. Before it only allowed me to have 7 screens and at least now it allows me to have up to 9. You also have the option of changing the apps in the dock (the small row of apps at the bottom of the screen). This really helps to elevate the illusion and solves some of the problems.

I wish I would have known about this earlier as I have been performing a lesser version of the trick for quite some time. Does anyone know if using a custom launcher would help this to work on an iPhone or other brand of phone?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Free Effect With a Cellphone (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL