The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tips For A Better Finger Palm? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
Ken
Try noticing what your hand looks like as it hangs naturally without a coin and notice other people's hands as they hang naturally then try to replicate that look with a coin.You are getting great advise from a lot of very knowledgeable people but noticing the natural look of a hand is the key.Don't practice for a day and just casually observe how people hold their hands.Where people conceal and how they conceal is often dependent on what is most natural. The finger palm is considered by most to be the most natural because that is how the average hand looks as it hangs naturally.

Frank
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Frank. Good reminder! Do I take it from your handle that you are in Dallas? I'm in San Antonio:). Just made my first contacts down here today at the local magic shop. Fun stuff.

Thanks again!

Ken
DallasFrank
View Profile
Regular user
Hey Rocky watch me pull a Rabbit outta my hat...oops wrong hat!
104 Posts

Profile of DallasFrank
Howdy Ken
I am in Dallas.Go join the SAM/IBM assembly.San Antonio has a great club.We have several members from the Dallas club that have moved here from San Antonio and they give the club down there rave reviews.

Frank
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Frank. I talked to Doug Gorman yesterday and he told me all about both:). Cheers!

Ken
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
You might also explore the Palmer Clip. This is a takeoff of his handling in Natural Scotch-Soda.

There are many uses and easy to get to from FingerPalm and back. One is the ability to pick up and handle other objects.

It does not replace the Finger Palm or Wilag Subtlety/Ramsey but works in combination for greater finger mobility and showing of the empty hand.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks funsway. I've copied all that down and will check it out.

Ken
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I agree with those who noticed that you are gripping the coin too tight. I use my third finger only (most of the time) and I never grip it like you do. Just let it rest there and grip it barely enough to keep it from falling out.Until you get the feel for it you may drop the coin a few times, but once you do get it - and you will get it - the coin will stay there through any movement you make.

Third finger, light touch... don’t clench!

Jim

PS- My hands are average or even a bit small; third finger works for me, and I use it for dollar coins too.
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Jim and everyone else. Here is a picture of the latest version - hand much more flat, 3rd finger is doing most/all of the holding, and other fingers are extended somewhat. Also, the coin is barely supported in there. If I opened the 3rd finger any more, the coin would fall out. I'm thinking that 3rd finger still looks too curled in? Maybe not. One interesting thing I tried today is using a silver dollar instead. My hands are really large, so maybe the amount of curl in my 3rd finger is necessary for a half. Something to think about.

Thanks again!

Ken
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The Finger Palm is not one that allows you to keep your hand flat; it is used when your hand is moving around naturally. Watch your own - and other's - hands when they are empty. Notice they are never flat; they all have their fingers curled in partly. Pinky most, index least.

Your FP will look fine and go unnoticed at those times.

You will also have to believe yourself that your hand is empty before others will believe too. (Read Al Schneider for more on that).

Jim
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks JIm. I'll find the Al Schneider reference you mentioned.

Ken
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Agree with J-Mac. Think of it as a transitional sleight. And think of holding something at the same time. A wand, a pen, keys, a coin, etc. I improved my FP immensely when eating meals at restaurantts with fork in hand, the coin hidden the entire time. Try writing with a pen. That, IMO, helps the FP become more natural.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Atom. I've been doing those things with CP, but it makes sense to do it with other palms.

Cheers,

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Tips For A Better Finger Palm? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL