The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sunshine Effect (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Hello Fellow Magicians and Mentalists,

For those that are interested in investing, my business partner and I have created a new investment fund on Motif that utilizes a concept called The Sunshine Effect. I have run a multi-variate regression analysis to understand the relationship between weather patterns and stock market returns. By exploiting the fact that sunshine results in better mood (and happier people spend more), the fund will time entry into and out of the stock market based on magnitude of sunshine (using an index), in an effort to capture abnormal positive returns for followers.

You can see the fund and its performance here: https://trader.motifinvesting.com/motifs......overview

Happy Investing,
Mike
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Does it take climate change into account? 'Cause the fellas here are real into discussing that.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Unless the weather is the same across the country, it's hard too see what difference local sunshine would make. For example, the weather in New York was fair on October 24, 1929 in New York City. That date's also known as Black Thursday, the beginning of the 1929 crash.

http://www.businessinsider.com/stock-mar......r-24th-1

Here's a photo taken in front of the Stock Exchange that day which confirms the sun was shining:

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Looks rather overcast. I do not see any shadows cast from the people in the photo. Which indicates that it is overcast rather than sunny. the only shadows that can be found are in the windows of the building which again would indicate overcast.

Not that I put any credence in the fair weather stock market fluctuation. Just saying that that photo does not look like a sunny day.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Obviously the picture was taken around noon. You can see noontime shadows (very small ones as the sun is directly overhead) near the feet of the people in the foreground. Also, look at the obvious glare on the tops of the cars and the men's hats.

And then there's the weather report for that day, which can be seen in the link above the photo.

It was a fair day- and seems to have stayed that way until the following Tuesday (Black Tuesday), the day the market took another 12% drop.

(But I realize that you will just argue with anything I suggest regardless of the evidence.)
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The really interesting question is whether investors will go for such a cockamamie scheme.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The really interesting question is whether investors will go for such a cockamamie scheme.

Absolutely they would/will.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, magicfish wrote:
Quote:

Absolutely they would/will.

Too convoluted.... Will they go for it, or would they go for it.... I need to know. I've got a small tax return riding
on a solar storm. When that reaches fruition, it's on to a small downpour in Poland and a minor frost in Wales.(Has to be at least -1)
My retirement depends on it.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Ive built several solar farms funnily enough. My next one will be 100 MW.
Yes, of course you can find investors for any idea provided they feel the ffund manager is dealing on the square.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Obviously the picture was taken around noon. You can see noontime shadows (very small ones as the sun is directly overhead) near the feet of the people in the foreground. Also, look at the obvious glare on the tops of the cars and the men's hats.

And then there's the weather report for that day, which can be seen in the link above the photo.

It was a fair day- and seems to have stayed that way until the following Tuesday (Black Tuesday), the day the market took another 12% drop.

(But I realize that you will just argue with anything I suggest regardless of the evidence.)

No you cannot see any shadows from the people in the foreground, you are just saying that. OMG that glare is light from the cloud covered sun. Smile My God it was obviously overcast. I really do not believe we are discussing this. Smile Also I don't believe anyone else believes we are discussing this. Smile Yes I purposely posted because it was your post Smile ...but honestly I believe it was overcast because of no shadows. Most of what you call sun glare is nothing more than an overexposed photo. No definition in the buildings or the street due to overexposure.

Reading the front page of that newspaper seems like it coud be yesterday with all the bad things happening. Shootings, plane crashes, ferry sinking, $700,000 towarad campaign, etc. Guess things don't change as much as we sometimes believe. same old, same old.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
The bottom pillers on the building to the right show obvious noontime shadows, too strong and defined to be overcast.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Check your eyeglasses prescription. And the read the weather report again. It doesn't say "cloudy." It says "fair."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
The bottom pillers on the building to the right show obvious noontime shadows, too strong and defined to be overcast.

Sorry have to vehemently disagree. Even overcast days with no light other than diffused sunlight through clouds will cause that. Diffused light is used to flatter subjects with skin flaws reduce wrinkles etc. It decreases shadows by having the light pass through a source which diffuses it and reduces glare which direct lighting would cause...whereas in this instance this source (diffuser) is the clouds...ergo overcast. How do I know this? I took a photography course in college. Aced it by the way, and not as easy peasy as one might believe. Also obviously very high contrast film was used and does not show much detail mostly lights and darks and as a result would show shadows very clear if they were present from direct sunlight.

Even though this started out by me busting Bob it is definitely an overcast day.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Looks pretty sunny to me (see top left corner in particular), except where buildings are blocking the sun:

http://www.businessinsider.com/stock-mar......-2011-11

Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And note that long shadows of the pedestrians on the left hand side of that photo are CLEARLY evident, indicating that the photograph was taken later in the afternoon. (Unlike in the first photo, where the tiny shadows showed it to be closer to noon.)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Why would Insight need investors ... He has just made $50,000.00 on the Café with the new book??????
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, balducci wrote:
Looks pretty sunny to me (see top left corner in particular), except where buildings are blocking the sun:

http://www.businessinsider.com/stock-mar......-2011-11

No telling what day that picture was taken. There are many dates in those pictures on that site. Not only that...maybe the sun peeked through just as he snapped the shutter. Smile Ha, ha.

Are we really going to discuss this? If so I am willing to concede that at that moment when your picture was taken by this photographer the sun peeked through the clouds if it was that day because it was an overcast day. Smile So I guess I am saying every cloud has a silver lining. Smile

I have to read the weather forecast in New York for tomorrow to see whether I should by or sell or sell short. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2015, acesover wrote:

No telling what day that picture was taken.

Well, it helps if you read the associated text.

"Then the market crashed and crowds flooded Wall Street. It was called 'Black Tuesday'"

"Here, crowds wait outside the Sub Treasury Building (now Federal Hall National Memorial) opposite the Stock Exchange."

"This photographer ran to the roof to show how many people were on the streets by the stock market."

Seems pretty apparent the photo from the roof was taken on Black Tuesday to me.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
No distinct shadows on men in picture 2 meaning diffused light probably caused by clouds (overcast). No shadows on 6 or 7 just on number 8,when the sun peeked through. Smile

Got to love this. Smile Haven't had this much fun since teasing the cat with the laser.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:

There's a tree in Vermont the height of which has a correlation with the level of the S&P 500 that is something North of 0.95.

There's a name for this phenomenon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sunshine Effect (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL