The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sunshine Effect (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2015, insight wrote:
Hello Fellow Magicians and Mentalists,

For those that are interested in investing, my business partner and I have created a new investment fund on Motif that utilizes a concept called The Sunshine Effect. I have run a multi-variate regression analysis to understand the relationship between weather patterns and stock market returns. By exploiting the fact that sunshine results in better mood (and happier people spend more), the fund will time entry into and out of the stock market based on magnitude of sunshine (using an index), in an effort to capture abnormal positive returns for followers.

You can see the fund and its performance here: https://trader.motifinvesting.com/motifs......overview

Happy Investing,
Mike

I notice that there is one CFA charterholder on your team; that's somewhat reassuring. (Note for your website: charterholder is one word, not two.)

I'd love to hear his analysis of this phenomenon.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

For those that are interested in investing, my business partner and I have created a new investment fund on Motif that utilizes a concept called The Sunshine Effect. I have run a multi-variate regression analysis to understand the relationship between weather patterns and stock market returns. By exploiting the fact that sunshine results in better mood (and happier people spend more), the fund will time entry into and out of the stock market based on magnitude of sunshine (using an index), in an effort to capture abnormal positive returns for followers.

You can see the fund and its performance here: https://trader.motifinvesting.com/motifs......overview

Happy Investing,
Mike

I notice that there is one CFA charterholder on your team; that's somewhat reassuring. (Note for your website: charterholder is one word, not two.)

I do not see the details of his fund, its performance, or members of his team when I go to the link.

Does one need a motifinvesting account to see the details?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happy Investing,
Mike

I do not see the details of his fund, its performance, or members of his team when I go to the link.

Evidently not: Leadership Team, Board and Advisors.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Happy Investing,
Mike

Evidently not: Leadership Team, Board and Advisors.

Oh, I see what you are looking at. I may be mistaken, but that is not HIS website or HIS team. That is the team of motifinvesting.

Insights's "motif" page is like a user page on that site. You know, like my profile page is on The Magic Café.

Users there can create their own "motifs" (like a stock portfolio) to invest according to and invite others to copy and use the same. The advantage is that if you do it through the Motif Investing site, it is supposed to be more cost effective and it allows small and maybe even a fractional number of shares to be bought. So someone with a very small amount of money to invest can still invest in a portfolio made of a large number of stocks.

Motif Investing was in the news quite a bit earlier this year. There was one article in particular about how this was an investment mode that appealed to millenials. I'm not 100% sure now, but I suspect this was it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/samanthashar......forever/

So back to my question, I still do not see details of insight's own fund (i.e. "motif"), its performance, (or members of any team of his) when I go to the link. I suspect I do need to create an account to see any of that.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
When I was learning statistics as an undergrad, our professor showed us the Superbowl-Stock market correlation. At the time 100% of the time and NFC team won the Superbowl, the stock market increased for the years (currently it's at 80%),

The lesson learned was correlation does not indicate causation.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Plastics.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Friends,

I have run a multivariate regression, and this strategy works!

I will provide some more info on analysis in my next post that may surprise you.

Regarding bob cassidy'S POST, I am quantifying the sunshine, and I confirm that black friday did not meet the threshold for inclusion as an entry date in my portfolio.

Regards,
Mike
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and isn't what I was referring to.

But why didn't Black Thurday or Black Tuesday meet your threshold? The are, after all, extremely significant dates in the history of the stock market.

That said, a previous poster summed it up pretty well, I think. Correlation does not imply causation.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Bob,

To clarify, those dates also would have been excluded, per the threshold.

To reiterate, I am talking about a regression (thus, implying causation) with high statistical significance.

Again, for those interested, I will share the analysis soon.

Finally, I am not claiming this strategy is bulletproof. But, it seems to work so far.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving and isn't what I was referring to.

But why didn't Black Thurday or Black Tuesday meet your threshold? The are, after all, extremely significant dates in the history of the stock market.

That said, a previous poster summed it up pretty well, I think. Correlation does not imply causation.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, insight wrote:
Bob,

To reiterate, I am talking about a regression (thus, implying causation) with high statistical significance.

Did you really mean to type this?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
I am talking about a regression (thus, implying causation) with high statistical significance.

Regression doesn't remotely imply causation.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

No, it doesn't.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Right. I meant to write that in the analytical write-up, a causality is established between sunshine and stock market performance. It may not make sense now, but I will share the academic paper when I regain access to my laptop.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
Quote:
I am talking about a regression (thus, implying causation) with high statistical significance.

Regression doesn't remotely imply causation.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
Right. I meant to write that in the analytical write-up, a causality is established between sunshine and stock market performance. It may not make sense now, but I will share the academic paper when I regain access to my laptop.

Regards,
Mike

I don't think you've clarified your position. Are you claiming that your regression establishes causality? Or are you stating that you will make a causal argument in your paper, but we haven't seen it yet?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

If there was a causal relationship, I'd think that all of the millionaire investors in the Seattle area would cause the market to tank regularly. Smile
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1339 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
...when I regain access to my laptop.

Regards,
Mike

Not sure I'd invest money with somebody who can't access their laptop.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2015, Salguod Nairb wrote:
You all should invest in wind power. There is enough being blown back and forth to power a small town just off this thread alone.

Sunny day, overcast day, wind power works regardless of luminous dispersal rates.

Is it just me or has your post count dropped?

I'm down to 35 posts this morning....

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Sunshine Effect (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL