The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triad Coins (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
bobandjim
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of bobandjim
Inviso, That is a fantastic idea. Thank you very much for sharing.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
I bought the Triad Coins at one of Josh's lectures, (great lecture, by the way - if you can catch it, definitely don't miss it!), because I'm a fan of coin magic. But I have to say, I haven't used them in performance. I played around with them when I first got them, put them back in the package they came in and put them in a drawer. A couple of months ago, while looking for something else, I came across them. Took them out to play with them again...and still just couldn't spark enough interest to want to carry them around. I put them back in their package again and put it back in the drawer.
They are a bit "noisy". And part of the issue for me is that I prefer working with dollar-sized coins and silver coins. Triad Coins are neither. I moved from half dollars to dollars a little more than five years ago and am so used to the larger, heavier coins now that, (with the exception of classic palming), I find the half dollar sized coins awkward.
I have silver dollar sets with matching "[", a couple of stand-alone flippers, (by two different custom makers), and a 3CF set. In conjunction with sleights and proper scripting/staging, those gaffs have been the perfect companions for amazing coin magic. To be honest, I usually only use the "[" and hardly ever touch the flippers. Other coin gaffs, particularly smaller-than-dollar sized ones, just fall short for me. The Triad Coins set, while I'm sure it's a fantastic set for someone, just doesn't fit into my personal style and preferences. It'll probably sit in that drawer another year or two and end up on my table at a local magic flea market or something. That's not a bad review of the product...it just isn't right for me and was an impulse buy at the lecture, based on my addiction to coin stuff and the fact that I always buy SOMETHING at lectures to support the artists.
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Not sure if this is the same as Josh's Three Coin Trick, but I made up a set that works pretty well.

It's a JB Magic / Bob Swadling deep dish '64 Kennedy shell and a New Generation '64 Kennedy Flipper, which is virtually unbreakable.

The flipper goes inside the deep dish shell and it all looks like one coin. Plus, the flipper has a magnet, so the nested set can be ditched rather easily if you don't want to do the last vanish Josh does so well.

Robert
ehz328
View Profile
New user
New YorkCity
10 Posts

Profile of ehz328
I personally love this effect. I believe that the gimmick is beautiful, and in the right situation it could play extremely big. I will definitely be using this, and I encourage others to use it too.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
The Triad appears to have the same or similar properties to Tango coins [ with sharp edges which need to soften with practice. I have checked out several different items in the local Magic shop by Tango and have elected to not buy them due to this property inherent in their work.
They do not allow smooth working of the item at all.

I have a 3t and many other gimmiked coins from different manufacturers and always have an issue with the tango stuff right out of the package. It takes some work to get them to a point you can use them in front of an audience.
I think the coins fit well and yes they are noisy but some teflon tape seems to quiet them down nicely. It does not help the take of the coins though and it looks like working the edges or even light sanding them will help that issue easily.
The stuff on the download is great and Josh does a great job as usual teaching the material.
You can do most of the stuff as the 3t with the exception of flipping it and ditching it.
I give it a 5 on a scale out of 10 for the gimmick itself.
A 10 on the packaging .....love the box it came in.
A 9 overall for the download.
overall it is a solid 8 in terms of purchase and is recomended.
The advice to Vanishing inc is to get this in silver coins which will soften and work more easily. I realize this would also increase the cost of it so that may have been why it was not done on this run.
Quality control the items better would help. Mine also had residue or oil staining inside each gimmick which needed to be cleaned. Though no one sees inside them it effects the working of them.

Enjoy,
Mobius
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Another piece of advice would be to maybe make the gimmick opposite to how it is made now..or how mine is in the Heads / Tails / Solid. The edge on the tails seems much sharper on the solid coin and also on the[ causing them to hang on each other. The Heads side works as normal. As does a regular coin in the Expanded [.
jmagic
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of jmagic
I have the set and they are well made and are perfect for the effect as shown by Joshua
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 14, 2015, Mobius303

A 10 on the packaging .....love the box it came in.

Enjoy,
Mobius

I agree about the sharp edges, mine has those too.
But I totally disagree on the packaging, had to dig out a razor blade and a screwdriver to pry the darn thing open.
I'd much prefer a small bubble ziplock. The current packaging would get a 1 from me. Hated it. Good thing the packaging isn't important Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
The sharpness of the edges is fine with me. Makes classic palming much easier imo.

Jim
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
To tell Coins S's apart:

Put Numbers or letters inside the you know what.

Bottom.

Up
Down

Anything to make life easy.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
The sharpness of the edges is fine with me. Makes classic palming much easier imo.

Jim

True, but classic palming is not an integral part of Josh's routine, whereas sliding the coins against one another is.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Classic palming is not the issue with the set. Sliding them is.
Even with variable pressure it tends to stick or not slide well.
A little 2000 grit on the edge helped out quite a bit.
Mouse tape or Teflon circle on the inside helps to quiet it as well.

There is not problem so far with mixing them up so numbering them is nt necessary.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I never said that classic palming was the issue. However neither is the sharpness of the edges in my opinion. As I mentioned, the only result I see of the sharp edges is the easier CP - no other problem with them. If you are having sliding problems I'm sorry to hear that, but I don’t believe that is a general problem for everyone else.

Also, while not a sliding issue for me, some mouse tape eliminated any potential noise when nesting.

Thank you.

Jim
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
523 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Are the gimmicks deep enough to lay nested on a table without worry?
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
No. I never put gaffed coins down where they can be burned by spectators. That's just asking for trouble! Always wiser to keep them in motion as much as possible.

Jim
disgruntledpuffin
View Profile
Special user
i have nothing to say about my
523 Posts

Profile of disgruntledpuffin
Thanks! The routine I had in mind needed them nested that way. The search continues....
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Dec 17, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
I never said that classic palming was the issue. However neither is the sharpness of the edges in my opinion. As I mentioned, the only result I see of the sharp edges is the easier CP - no other problem with them. If you are having sliding problems I'm sorry to hear that, but I don’t believe that is a general problem for everyone else.

Also, while not a sliding issue for me, some mouse tape eliminated any potential noise when nesting.

Thank you.

Jim

Guess you're lucky the sharp edges don't bother you Jim. I had to smooth mine down a bit which wasn't difficult at all.
Because the sharpness not only made them very noisy, but it also prevented them from sliding smoothly and didn't allow for a soft touch.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I think I see what's bothering you guys. The edges on mine are pretty sharp too, however when sliding my coins I don't press on the edges at all; extremely dry hands have made me keep my thumb in the middle of the coin and pressure is applied there. The edge doesn't slide hard against the other coins. Which I guess is why I didn't notice any "catching".

Jim
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Working with it ...it does get easier to work. The edges are not as sharp now.
I also keep it in my pocket so I think that has helped as well.
keeping the thumb in the middle also helps Jim.
Playing with it, working with it and trying new things with it works out the kinks quickly
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I've been having "sliding" problems too. Has anyone tried sanding the edges or is working with the coins until the edges are smooth the preferred method?
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Triad Coins (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL