The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper/Silver/Brass coins (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 28, 2015, inigmntoya wrote:
Johnson makes a nice set. http://www.johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop......ts_id=26

I would second Johnson's.
Oh wait, I already "first-ed" them way back in the second reply to this thread.

So do I have this straight, the OP's desire all along is to find a CSB that behaves exactly the way every standard set does?
If your knowledge and experience with this gaff is so limited, are you really ready to drop the change that a Lassen gaff will cost you?
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
London Uk
139 Posts

Profile of WKM
Videoman, your first reply was making an incorrect assumption, that I wanted a Chinese coin without a hole. Or did I read that wrong..... Oh wait....

"If I understand you correctly, you would like something other than a Chinese coin with a hole?"

So you were in fact recommending something that you had assumed that I didn't want?? Why would you do that? No matter. My question was somewhat specific and is now answered, thank you all.

Your most recent reply also comes across as somewhat derogatory. It is none if your business if I am ready to "drop the change" that a Lassen set would cost and while I appreciate that this particular gaff may be somewhat new in its specific material makeup to me, hence my question, I have practised and performed coin sleights for over 20 years using shells, C/S and a wide variety of other gaffs. I would therefore appreciate your assumptive, derogatory, and self serving comments posted elsewhere, and not I'm my general direction. Thanks.
Liam Ball AIMC*
The Gentleman Magician
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, WKM wrote:
So you were in fact recommending something that you had assumed that I didn't want?? Why would you do that?

Because in your original description of what you wanted, you said:

Quote:
Ideally I'd like a set that can be shown without the shall being seen from the underside.

And...

Quote:
I mean that I would like to be able to show it from the underside without the shell being visible.

I'm *STILL* not sure what exactly you meant by that, but given that when nested a CSB set is generally only shown from the non-chinese side (in the johnson case, as a 1/2 dollar), displaying the "underside" would mean showing the Chinese coin, and you can't freely/cleanly do that if the Chinese coin (shell) has a hole in it because the copper side of the insert will be visible through the hole. In that regard, Videoman's suggestion that you were looking for a set without a hole -- a type that you usually have to get from a custom maker like Lassen -- was perfectly reasonable. His suggestion of Johnson also came with a caveat:

Quote:
Johnson makes a pretty nice set but you can't show the underside when nested.

Since you said *IDEALLY* you wanted to be able to show it from the underside (whatever that meant), so it wasn't a hard requirement.
He was simply pointing out a nice set (Johnson), but trying to ensure that you understood that it didn't meet your "IDEAL" preference.

No disrespect intended, but 20 years of practicing or performing aside, your initial request and confusing attempts at clarification presented you to us as someone "with limited knowledge of this gaff".

I'm glad you believe you got your question answered, but as I said above, I'm still not quite sure what it was.
It's one thing to know that yes, Hein's "Catch Up" uses a CSB set, but quite another to know what this meant:

Quote:
So in short, I want to be able to nest them, shell down, without it being obvious that there is a shell there......
The spectator would see a coin, not a gimmick.....

What does "shell down" mean?

You also stated:

Quote:
Hi, yes I want a Chinese coin, but I want to be able to show say the copper or silver side when nested, so that I can do so cleanly.

But that CANNOT be done with a CSB set. Depending on how it's made, only one of silver or copper can be shown cleanly when nested. Continuing with the Johnson set as an example, if you nest with the copper side showing you're going to have a big old ring of silver around it that looks awfully fishy.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Hallelujah!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Amen ! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks inigmntoya, for explaining that much better than I could have.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Chinese Bit by Joe Riding seems to be the set you are looking for. You could show both sides from what I understand.
Steven's use to have them, I not sure they are available anymore through normal resources (stores).
I would love to get a set.
M.Paul
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of M.Paul
Ditto what Jerry said re. Chinese bit. Although I have a lovely csb set by Roy kuepper that I can get away with showing both sides.
M.Paul
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of M.Paul
You can see the copper coin through the hole but you can get away with showing on this side.
M.Paul
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of M.Paul
Ditto what Jerry said re. Chinese bit. Although I have a lovely csb set by Roy kuepper that I can get away with showing both sides.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
London Uk
139 Posts

Profile of WKM
Sorted now, I have a CSB , which is exactly what I was after from Blackpool. I already have the chinese bit, so that's not what I wanted. The one I got is beautiful and exceptionally made, so I'm very happy. Thanks for your help guys. 😄
Liam Ball AIMC*
The Gentleman Magician
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, M.Paul wrote:
I have a lovely csb set by Roy kuepper that I can get away with showing both sides.

How? The two sides of a CSB gaff are different.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, WKM wrote:
Sorted now, I have a CSB , which is exactly what I was after from Blackpool. I already have the chinese bit, so that's not what I wanted. The one I got is beautiful and exceptionally made, so I'm very happy. Thanks for your help guys. 😄

Glad to hear, but why don't you let us know what it is exactly that you ended up getting.
Type of coins it uses, maker, cost, etc.
Can you show both sides of the gimmick?
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Yes, please let us know the details of the coin set you got, what vendor and cost.

M. Paul, is thr Roy Kuepper set still available?

Thanks.
WKM
View Profile
Regular user
London Uk
139 Posts

Profile of WKM
It is a standard CSB. Copper silver with chinese shell.

Complete its a dollar on one side and looks like a dollar.
Other side is the chinese, obviously nested I can see the copper, but shell removed it then looks like an Egyptian coin.
The Chinese is one of the lovely new coins from the sets and shell's and looks beautiful.

It was made by Auke Vandokkum from cups and balls and is almost identical to the set used by Karl Heinz.
He says that he made Karl's set.

It was £120, and is exceptionally made. I'm very pleased with it.
Liam Ball AIMC*
The Gentleman Magician
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for sharing, sounds like a very cool set and also a great price.
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1409 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Special Blackpool price.
On his website he is asking 140 half dollar size; 220 for Euro size coins.

Take a look:

http://www.cupsandballs.nl/
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I just got a Walking Liberty CSB set from Roy about a month ago. Nice and definitely well made for the price.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Mick-L-Hinman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Mick-L-Hinman
Mark masons csb is very good.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I have been using my Walking Liberty set for years. I had a Schoolcraft Peruvian set but that was stolen. The Johnson(I BELIEVE) is the set that I am using and have had no issues with it. But I am looking for a Colombian set.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Copper/Silver/Brass coins (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL