The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help Please, recommend books on reading with playing card (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I am trying to develope my ability with giving spectator reading with playing card,so I can use in my Q&A act.
I would love to use playing card instead of Tarot for reading because I perform mentalism with cards also and I don't normally bring tarot with me when performing.
Please recommend books on reading with playing card,thanks.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Sychou: It's not a book, but I think you'll still be interested. Paul Draper devotes a substantial portion of his Penguin Live Lecture on cold reading to his method of giving readings with playing cards. I think you'll enjoy it. Best of luck.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1828 Posts

Profile of David Numen
If you can read tarot cards then it's a very simple procedure to transfer that knowledge to playing cards. Cups are Hearts, Swords are Spades, Wands are Clubs and Coins are Diamonds.

Over 20 years ago, when I started doing readings, I recall a client talking about an elderly gentleman who "only read playing cards" and she seemed to find this to be more impressive than reading tarot because there were no pictures involved. An interesting insight that lay people are maybe more clued in than we like to think.
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1575 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
I agree with this perception. Whenever I do readings, I use playing cards. It always seems to be more impressive to the sitter. Countless times I have heard them say, "he doesn't even use the Tarot".
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
It impresses people who would have sat with a tarot reader anyway, and it doesn't scare away the people who want nothing to do with tarot cards.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Playing cards only cover the majority of the Minor Arcana (No Pages) ... The Major Arcana is completely left out. So instead of 76 options you only have 52.... Considerably less opportunity for a clear reading.

But if you must ... Cartomancy Overnight is awesome....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Check out Richard Websters - Playing Card Divination for Beginners

You should be able to learn most of the meanings for the cards in a month or so, I wrote them on the cards whilst practicing, plus he outlines a great general spread and a whole bunch of relationship spreads.

He wrote an article too, though the definitions he gave in his book differ slightly from the numerological meanings he gives below

http://www.deceptionary.com/ftp/RWebster-PlayingCards.pdf
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Luke Jermay has some interesting thoughts on Making Mind Reading Look Real
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1575 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Slim King wrote:
Playing cards only cover the majority of the Minor Arcana (No Pages) ... The Major Arcana is completely left out. So instead of 76 options you only have 52.... Considerably less opportunity for a clear reading.

But if you must ... Cartomancy Overnight is awesome....

Major/Minor, makes no difference to me, Dave. I don't believe in Tarot, a lot of times when I use playing cards to give readings, I just make it up. Essentially, it is a "reading" I'm doing - on the sitter. The cards are just used to feed into the notion that they are a necessary part of the process.
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Alwow
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
548 Posts

Profile of Alwow
Julian Moore also has a book on Cartomancy
"Everything I show you is the truth... And the truth is the loveliest of lies"
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1474 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Although the luke jermay reference isn't a book, so doesn't directly answer the OP question.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you want something that isn't traditional and offers you a few (hopefully) interesting avenues to explore I released something called meta-ph-oracle last year... non-traditional, each card explained, several ideas on how to put together the reading, as well as how to add a bit of spice to any card mentalism that you like performing...plus some more "out there" things to tinker with too...its been reviewed on here, and downstairs in inner thoughts are some quick and dirty shotgun style readings using it, with people naming their own cards and me responding...i haven't got the links I'm afraid...
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17522 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, sychou wrote:
I am trying to develope my ability with giving spectator reading with playing card,so I can use in my Q&A act.
I would love to use playing card instead of Tarot for reading because I perform mentalism with cards also and I don't normally bring tarot with me when performing.
Please recommend books on reading with playing card,thanks.

Here's what I did once ... I literally wrote the meaning of each card in permanent marker on the face of each card. It worked like a charm and the sitter and I had a great time working out the combinations together. I played the Devil's advocate at times and it was extremely fun. They also knew that I wasn't BSing them as far as the true meaning of the card.
It might be a fun place to start and takes zero memorization!!!! Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Chaz93 wrote:
Luke Jermay has some interesting thoughts on Making Mind Reading Look Real

In Jermay's Leading Reading are also some thoughts.
-

Prometheus
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Iain Dunford's Meta-Ph-Oracle makes the most 'sense' to me.

I like the traditional categories of wealth/money, work/school, health/well-being, relationships/love for card reveals and Q & A orientations, but they strike me as a little outdated for personal readings. Maybe the focus is a bit too materialistic for my tastes? Iain's material is centered around energy and action/non-action therefore more internally centered.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2578 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Check out Luke Jermay's DVD "Making Mind Reading Look Real". Excellent method of using cards for readings.
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1880 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Paul Draper used to have a 20 minute video on Jeff McBride's site about Anthropological Cold Reading. Seeing him in action for one reading was worth as much as a book to me. I have terrible Internet so I have not invested in the Penguin lecture but I intend to in time.

I also have Julian's Cartomancy book and it is very good. His exercises and practice readings will have you up to speed faster than any other book I have seen. But you have to do them out loud to get the benefit. His extensive example readings sort of make my eyes blur at times but if you take one at a time they are very instructive. His materials are worth far more than he charges. But I am glad to get a bargain on this stuff.

My method of practice when learning an oracle is to save a bunch of Dear Abby columns from the paper and just use the questions as if they were from a live sitter. My wife and I enjoy doing these out loud together. You can find plenty of online advice columns to get practice with real questions from real people. The point is to relate what your cards or bones or ink spots say to the question at hand.

Patrick
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2015, Mr. Woolery wrote:
I have terrible Internet so I have not invested in the Penguin lecture but I intend to in time.

If you do decide to purchase, you can download the lecture first and then watch it later. Start the download before you go to sleep, and during these long Alaskan nights, it should be completed by sunrise.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2173 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I almost always find that books on oracles written for the lay public are better than those written specifically for readers.

The two books I recommend for learning the meanings of playing cards are Nerys Dee's Fortune-Telling by Playing Cards and Richard Webster's Playing Card Divination For Beginners.

And remember that a useful practice tool for cartomancy is available (for free) at The Deceptionary.
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help Please, recommend books on reading with playing card (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL