The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bob Cassidy "Slate Killers" (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, Sven Rygh wrote:
I watched it last night.
This is a great elaboration on the Daley Slates, - and some more.

Now I'll watch it again!

Absolutely recommended!

Great seeing you here Sven!

Look forward to a beer in Aker Brygge again - don't be a stranger around here as I know many including me really enjoy your ideas, knowledge and passion for the art.

Brett,
Thanks, - likewise!

Sure, just say the word, and you'll find me at Jacob Aall Restaurant or anywhere else.
It would be great to meet up again for a breakfast or a beer and a chat next time you are in town
gtx magic
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom England
769 Posts

Profile of gtx magic
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Ollie wrote:
Is this mental magic? because have writing appearing out of nowhere.

Henry Slade (1840-1905) is credited with inventing slate writing and incorporating it in his act as a psychic medium. Slade called himself a spiritual doctor and was often referred to as Dr. Henry Slade.

A photograph of a hinged, wooden edged, slate used by the Physical Medium Henry Slade in 1855-ish until his death in 1905. Notice the catch on the lower slate that goes through the lid so a lock can be fixed on the top when it is closed.

Graham.
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
77 Posts

Profile of RiBo
Downloaded this video earlier in the week but just finished my first run through of the content. Absolutely fantastic - Bob's approach to teaching these effects and the associated material is just outstanding. If you're on the fence for any reason at all, just pull the trigger, this is great stuff!
RenzIII
View Profile
Veteran user
318 Posts

Profile of RenzIII
Great stuff as usual Bob,

I enjoyed this very much, the Jax wallet handlings and ideas, dictionary explanations
all bonus I believe, makes the whole package well worth it.

I don't aways download Mentalism, but when I do, I download Bob Cassidy, lol
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
To Seattle Steve and others who are members of my on-line workshop, note that this Sunday, February 8th, Slate Killers will be the topic of our live chat at 1 PM PST. We'll be having an in depth discussion of the material as well as additional routines, moves, handling, etc.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Investigative Mentalist
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle, WA
491 Posts

Profile of Investigative Mentalist
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
To Seattle Steve and others who are members of my on-line workshop, note that this Sunday, February 8th, Slate Killers will be the topic of our live chat at 1 PM PST. We'll be having an in depth discussion of the material as well as additional routines, moves, handling, etc.

Good thoughts,

Bob

Awesome! Smile
Sparda
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Sparda
I'm curious if anyone would just use index cards instead of slates. Obviously the presentation would need to be altered but for me blank index cards would be easier to sell than slates...
I loved the download!
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2926 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I've used index cards and business cards instead of slates. I have some funny Q&A presentations that I like to do with the Spirit writing. I think I may have mentioned it in one of the later Switchcraft supplements. It's hard to keep track sometimes. (Sorry for going off a little off topic)
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18700 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I love the old school charm/romance of slates...

I get that it will have to fit in with whatever else you do, but as a demonstration of what happened in Victoria parlours...i love it...adds so much atmosphere...
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, Sparda wrote:
I'm curious if anyone would just use index cards instead of slates. Obviously the presentation would need to be altered but for me blank index cards would be easier to sell than slates...

This is entirely dependent on persona & context. As someone who does primarily spirit & medium demonstrations, slates fit in perfectly with my performance. As witnessed in the download, Bob makes sure to give a context & some history in order to set up the performance.

If you were to tell a tale about spirits & spiritualism, & followed it with spirit writing on index cards, it wouldn't make much sense. Because spirits didn't write on index cards - they wrote on slates.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I am waiting for someone to suggest small dry-erase boards. Smile

Slates have a mysterious and romantic history.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
I am waiting for someone to suggest small dry-erase boards. Smile

Didn't you know they called him Dr. "Squeaky" Slade?
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I've always thought that if I decided to use any sort of slate writing in my act I'd use dry erase boards. They are more common in the real world, so I think they'd be more familiar to an audience. That said, I don't do slate writing as spirit writing doesn't fit into my show.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 14, 2015, Chaz93 wrote:
I've always thought that if I decided to use any sort of slate writing in my act I'd use dry erase boards. They are more common in the real world, so I think they'd be more familiar to an audience. That said, I don't do slate writing as spirit writing doesn't fit into my show.

But the spirit world has never communicated through dry erase boards - or, at least, not historically. Granted, I'm sure there's SOMEONE out there claiming to be a spirit medium, using dry eraseboards.

Why pass up great, true, historical stories using interesting props, just because they aren't common. What you are doing on stage is VERY uncommon. You're telling stories, creating an atmosphere.

As an audience member, I'd be much more interested in the story of Katie King, than I would be of the spirit of Stan, office supply boy.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Well said, Timothy.

It's become increasingly common of late for mentalists to go out of their way to remove the mystery and romance from mentalism. Why not do crystal gazing with a Coke bottle or a cell phone screen? They are, after all, more familiar to our audiences than real crystal balls.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1456 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Well why wouldnt a spirit be able to move a dry erase pen with as much ease as a peice of chalk? The reason all the mediums used chalk boards for their spirit writing because it was the available tool of the time. These days we have other tools that serve the same function. My opinion is that chalk boards are antiquated and out dated. Using dry erase boards could do well to modernize a presentation.

And again its just personal preference, but I prefer to use tools in my performances that seem common place, rather than something uncommon unless its required. As a slate is just an object to write on and erase and reuse its not required as we now have dry erase boards.

In the end go with what works for you and your show. Chalk boards don't fit in line with mine, but white boards do.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18700 Posts

Profile of IAIN
...i would say its more to do with the familiarity for the spirit's sake, than anything else...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18700 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Though, I guess it depends on the timeline of the spirit itself...doesn't have to be from the edwardian or victorian era I suppose..
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Give it time. In the not-so-distant future, spirits will be sending in emails and text messages. Let's get through the wave of spirits that want to send in faxes first, though.

"Cursive handwriting is disappearing from public schools:"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/educ......ory.html
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Chalk and slate are elements found in the earth- the final resting place of the bodies the spirits once inhabited. Thus, their natural attraction as communication tools.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Bob Cassidy "Slate Killers" (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL