The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What was the most successful addition to your kid show in the past 5 years? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Best addition to my kids show in 5 years? Doing a kids show.

Biggest improvement? Busking. Learned to entertain. Learned to manage an audience. Learned to pack small. Learned to improvise when things go wrong (and when they go right).

Best routine addition? Bill Abbott's 5 card opener (but I took the main idea and applied it to a coins to cup: easier reset, and with some additional routining, I can get more mileage out of it). Solid warm-up, a great cue to control the audience, more interaction, way to end routines that don't have a solid ending "punch", and makes transitions easier. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Best addition in the last year? Fire eating (by request only, older kids only, outdoor shows only, special conditions only). For the right audience, there is nothing that plays stronger. For the wrong audience... Very unhappy parents.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Ken Northridge wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, Dynamike wrote:
2. Theme Song
Can you point in the right direction for this Mike?

I can help you there, Ken ... Leslie and I composed and recorded Dynamike's theme song.

Check out website for detail about this service.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
For me it was...
1 - A multiplying balls routine that gets the kids yelling, and has a great kicker ending. I took about three different routines and merged them into one that is my own. I have a couple of yelling tricks, but this one really gets the kids worked up and having fun. Sort of sets the stage for show.
2 - a Wiz Kote Machine, modified with a unique design.
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Quentin wrote:
Troublewit

Really? That strong? Interesting.

Even stronger than that!
Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! Trouble Wit is even stronger than THAT!

I started learning it in '65, and finally put it "in" in '68. The audience loved it (and, the teachers were enthused, impressed, and pleased, too!)

As expected, I wore one out, learning it.

I can count on one hand, the fellows that I've seen, who do T-Wit! Clem Magrum, Jay Marshall, Dick Stoner. (that's "3 fingers!) I know that Sid Lorraine, Tommy Windsor, and Frances Marshall did it, too.

Jay made his own (a day long project!) I got my first one's from "somebody" in the UK. (probably Edwin Hooper). Jim Reilly in New Zealand mad them for many years.

I could get a full season out of one. I think that I have two or three new ones left. Hmmm! I think that I'll consider "disposing" of them...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hey! Trouble Wit is even stronger than THAT!

I started learning it in '65, and finally put it "in" in '68. The audience loved it (and, the teachers were enthused, impressed, and pleased, too!)

As expected, I wore one out, learning it.

I can count on one hand, the fellows that I've seen, who do T-Wit! Clem Magrum, Jay Marshall, Dick Stoner. (that's "3 fingers!) I know that Sid Lorraine, Tommy Windsor, and Frances Marshall did it, too.

Jay made his own (a day long project!) I got my first one's from "somebody" in the UK. (probably Edwin Hooper). Jim Reilly in New Zealand mad them for many years.

I could get a full season out of one. I think that I have two or three new ones left. Hmmm! I think that I'll consider "disposing" of them...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, Dynamike wrote:
2. Theme Song
Can you point in the right direction for this Mike?

I can help you there, Ken ... Leslie and I composed and recorded Dynamike's theme song.

Check out website for detail about this service.

I had a feeling you were the one. I may be contacting you this year!
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

These responses are what I was hoping for. I would have never guessed the Trouble could be so rewarding, or that a multiplying ball routine could be such a great opener. Sometimes you have to think outside the box you've put yourself in.

Thanks all.
www.KenNorthridge.com
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
For me it is Chico the Mindreader. I never really thought I would do a puppet routine, but Chico is VERY popular.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
While I haven't used it in years, I used get great mileage out of Roy Baker's multiplying balls routine, "Yell Up For Kids". The basic premise being that balls keep appearing and disappearing without you noticing it.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I have had trouble wit on my thinking about list for 25 years.

About 10 years ago I started using
Hats Incredible, a similar but a bit limited in shapes.
It makes
2 hats
1 mask
1 vase
1 binoculars
Two of them become muscles.
Wide mouth bass

http://www.hatsincredible.com
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2015, RNK wrote:
My rabbit routine using a few different boxes including Loughran's Creature Shock Box.

RNK

RNK, Two questions about this. Is the box deceptive enough for 'know it all' children? 2. What do you do with the rabbit after you produce it? Isn't it anti-climatic?

I purchased this several years ago and unfortunately never incorporated into my show for reasons having nothing to do with the quality or deceptivness of the prop. It has received great reviews from those who purchased it. There were threads devoted to this prop here for those interested in it. One thing I that really appealed to me was the opportunity to use a prop that took the production of a rabbit to the next level, and one audiences had not seen from other performers. Personally, I have just not had the time to rewrite my show introduction to incorporate it yet, and because I perform for very young audiences, it would need to be psesented with a bit of a different presentation that originally intended.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Hands down, Tommy James' No Way Nest of Boxes. I do that at the end of the show, it's like the rest of the show never existed!! I did it 5 times for my high school classes last week. They usually have a retort for everything. They were just thunderstruck. One kid goes, "and now I need therapy." Smile

And Paul, I'm glad you mentioned Chico. I've had it for almost a year. I've never used a puppet before, and I keep chickening out every show! That's it. I'm doing it tomorrow.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Frankie, go for it - do the puppet! One of the best reactions I've had to my puppet act is the very first time I did it. It's funny how that works sometimes.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Ugh. Ok Dan. I'm doing it. I'll run through it one more time tonight. Thanks for the pep talk my friend!
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Creative Magic's "Invisible Paint" with two fifty rainbow streamers and lots of snimal silks
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Magic compass is one I have added to my larger venues.

Before the program I overheard people talking about trouble finding the venue.
My story of my own difficulty even with GPS went over well.

I keep the flat prop (plays big)in my case, and don't always use it

For the right situation it works wonders.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jan 31, 2015, Quentin wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Quentin wrote:
Troublewit

Really? That strong? Interesting.

Even stronger than that!
Smile

Quentin's Five Minutes with a Pocket Hanky routine has always reminded me of a Troublewit routine. I have seen some very strong Troublewit routines, even though I don't use it myself.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Adding pro d-lites and the pro misers d-lite bag.
My bag is also remote control too.
Also the chair levitation has been a great addition.
Todd
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
Creative Magic's "Invisible Paint" with two fifty rainbow streamers and lots of snimal silks

Looks fantastic! Will a small rabbit fit in it for the final load?
www.KenNorthridge.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What was the most successful addition to your kid show in the past 5 years? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL