The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedy metalbending? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Martin Pulman wrote:
Comedy metal bending? I'm afraid I can't think of anything worse.

Metal bending? I'm afraid I can't think of anything worse.

Perhaps humour could make this most drap and hackneyed bit at least mildly diverting.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2015, Woodfield wrote:
Ian Rowland has a good and funny spoon bending routine in one of his lecture notes.
I've used bits of his in my own routine.Woodfield

True. It's been one of my strongest stage openers for two decades now. Always goes over well, always gets huge 'laugh-out-loud' laughs, always delivers a strong and powerful mystery at the end. I've proved this over countless public shows and at magic conventions too. When people say mentalism can't or shouldn't be funny, I have to politely and respectfully disagree. If you can make people laugh, they will follow you anywhere and you can make them believe whatever you want, and very funny lines provide brilliant misdirection. I see 'making someone laugh' as the most basic and most useful form of mind control, and I make people laugh every single time I perform, without fail. Even in corporate lectures and shows.

Richard Bach: "Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they’re yours."
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1655 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I've got a friend who is in vehicle engineering and if you spent the day with him putting a car on the dyno or whatever I guarantee that at some point he will have you doubled over laughing. He sees the opportunity to enjoy himself by making people laugh in almost everything. Putting a roll cage in a car isn't a hilarious activity in and of itself, but anything you do with someone who is genuinely witty and who wants to make you laugh can become a funny experience.

Phill
-+: https://www.miscellaneousmiracles.co.uk :+-

20% off a collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
876 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, phillsmiff wrote:
I've got a friend who is in vehicle engineering and if you spent the day with him putting a car on the dyno or whatever I guarantee that at some point he will have you doubled over laughing. He sees the opportunity to enjoy himself by making people laugh in almost everything. Putting a roll cage in a car isn't a hilarious activity in and of itself, but anything you do with someone who is genuinely witty and who wants to make you laugh can become a funny experience.
Phill

Beautifully expressed! Bravo!
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1885 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Bob,

So I spent all night worried I offended one of the kings of mentalism????

KC
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, KC Cameron wrote:
Bob,

So I spent all night worried I offended one of the kings of mentalism????

KC

LOL! Yes, you did. I was only pretending to be offended so that I could later make my point about the type of humor I use.

Sorry about that. It's just the way I am sometimes.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3053 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think most people would agree that there should always be humour in a performance. I think it is a question of balance. If the comedy dominates I think it greatly weakens the mentalism.

I also think that great art is born from limitations.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
... one-liners that I've honed over the years that seem to be ad-libs because they relate directly to something a participant has said or done. I think we all use that sort of thing...

For anyone who cares, these pre-arranged "off the cuff" jokes that can be inserted as required are known as 'Lazzi'. The term comes from the Commedia Dell'Arte style of theatre. In any presentational art (be it magic, mentalism or emceeing) I believe it is a very good thing to develop a broad set of jokes, comments, asides and physical "business" that can be thrown into your performance as required to drive things in the direction you want. You should have enough in your repertoire that you can fill any unexpected gaps, but not have to force them.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Comedy metalbending? (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL