The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Opium (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3777 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I've never be a collector of opium antiques, but when I could find interesting objects at a very good price, I usually bought them.
Today, I found 2 very interesting opium pipes (chinese and vietnamese. So I decided to reunite the opium collection and discovered that I have the beginning of an interesting display.
That includes, a Samovar from a Chinese Tea (and Opium) House (circa 1850), various pipes, weights, balances, ceramic tokens, opium puppy knives...
Maybe the basis for a strange story. Most of the items are from the XIXth century...

Kynean
View Profile
New user
France
94 Posts

Profile of Kynean
Well done Curator! Gorgeous objects and beautiful photos ! For our Art, where all is "smoke and mirrors", I think you have now everything you need for the "smoke" part ! Smile
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1813 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
The mirror is the introspection induced by the smoke, lol.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5945 Posts

Profile of george1953
A really nice collection, you must spend hours searching for these things !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
The Dark Cabaret
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of The Dark Cabaret
I've spent a lot of time in curio shops and antique stores here in the US. I can honestly say though I've found many treasures, I don't find the oddities that you seem to locate. Beautiful find! Do you have any advice?
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
665 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2015, The Dark Cabaret wrote:
I've spent a lot of time in curio shops and antique stores here in the US. I can honestly say though I've found many treasures, I don't find the oddities that you seem to locate. Beautiful find! Do you have any advice?

You are going to have to travel the world or pay handsomely to find similar relics - location, location, location - you might find a variety of Bizarre items on the mainland that you could trade here for items from elsewhere.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3777 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Same source as usual: mostly Brussels Flea Market.
The tea samovar was found in a friend's antique shop. The tea cup comes from the Bình Thuận shipwreck (400 years ago).
I've 2 of those and one from the Cau Mau shipwreck.
Yesterday, I found another opium balance at the same market.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5124 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I love seeing the objects you collect Curator. All of them seem to perfectly capture that wonderful moment of reality melding with mystery...where magic occurs.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
It's MR. Darkness
1456 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Party at the Curator house! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Opium (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL