The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » On mentalism types and presentations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1273 Posts

Profile of WDavis
It seems there are waves of topics and concerns that flow through the café.

This one seems to be on the rise.

Firstly, please forgive typos as I am using my phone for this post.

Now on to the post.

Dale Carnegie once said, "in art there are few principles, and many techniques"

Using this as the cornerstone of the discussion, the question arises next, what are the principles of types of mentalism and what are techniques?

For me, within the context of presentation type principles fall under the over arching ability and technique is the way that is being conveyed.

For example let's say you presenting, a mind reading effect. The principle simply is you can read the participants mind. The technique follows with how the principle is demonstrated. Comedy, drama, etc are all techniques used to convey the message you can read minds.

Please understand while I use the term technique many will gravitate towards methods as the associated term. Quite understandable, as they are also techniques because they help to convey the message you can read minds.

In the end, I guess what I am saying we are getting hung up on trying pass techniques used to convey a message as the presentation type

Such as shamanistic psychic comedy etc.

These convey the message but the message is the presentation and finally the presentation is you can read minds.

In a sense, as I type this rambling these recent posts seem to be confusing what we are saying vs how we are saying it.

What are all of your thoughts?

Cheers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » On mentalism types and presentations (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL