The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to sell a magic trick? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Hi everyone I'm rather new to magic but I've created a magic trick and would like to sell it.. which website is best to try?
Tree
View Profile
Loyal user
Wiggle Wiggle
295 Posts

Profile of Tree
Before you can sell it you need to research and see if it's already been created, most have.
Then you need to research crediting moves etc.
not an easy task, you just can't think you created something and sell it to Magi.
You'll hear more from others about this...
not many people create original effects

If you really did create an original effect...congrats, but really you need to do some extra serious research before making such a statment.
B. Edwards
View Profile
New user
Ohio
50 Posts

Profile of B. Edwards
Ok, you have created a magic trick. Cool!

But...

How many times have you performed it?
What was the audience reaction?

I've had a great idea for a prediction in a (non-gimmicked) brand-new sealed bottle of water for years. My idea looks great on paper, but I've never performed it in front of an audience. Therefore, I can't measure it's true impact and value.

If you are "rather new" to magic, then you should master your creation and perform it to audiences for a while, before trying to sell it.

Brian
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Thanks guys, well my trick uses little effects which other people have created I'm sure but the big effect itself hasn't been created as far as I know
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
A well performed TRICK, produces an EFFECT. The EFFECT IS what the spectator SEES, or, THINKS that he SEES.

At least, use the proper nomenclature!

Note: cf. Fitzkee's "SHOWMANSHIP FOR MAGICIANS". Learn what various EFFECTS are possible!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
I admit grammar was never my strong suit hehe but the difference seems to be quite subtle especially if the trick is done bluntly in front of the spectator and he doesn't realise so the trick and effect would be the same thing then would you call it a trick or an effect?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry, but I was unable to completely decypher that "run on" sentence.

From what I could understand, you seem to I think that a trick and an effect are the same thing. I can't imagine what sort of reasoning you used to reach that conclusion.

I will repeat: The magician PERFORMS a TRICK. The spectator sees "something" that deceives him and/or entertains him. THAT is called the EFFECT.

Read: Fitzkee "Showmanship for Magicians"! Read Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment"! Read Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship"! Read Maskelynne & Devant's "Our Magic"!

Perhaps you should take a remedial course in rhetoric and grammar. To be an entertainer, you must be able to communicate with the audience.

Best Wishes, and, Good Luck!
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
Welcome, magicalmoi.
Some good advice is in there. Some more blunt then others. Don't be discouraged. Do the research and perforemance test your creation. You didn't give any hint as to what the effect is or what it involves, ie. cards, coins etc. Is the efect a Vanish or an apperance? Is it a levitation? We don't know. More information is needed, so that we can help you. Good luck on your quest.
Keith Shazam
SHAZAM!
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2015, Kbuck54 wrote:
Welcome, magicalmoi.
Some good advice is in there. Some more blunt then others. Don't be discouraged. Do the research and perforemance test your creation. You didn't give any hint as to what the effect is or what it involves, ie. cards, coins etc. Is the efect a Vanish or an apperance? Is it a levitation? We don't know. More information is needed, so that we can help you. Good luck on your quest.
Keith Shazam

thank you for your encouragement Smile
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Sorry, but I was unable to completely decypher that "run on" sentence.

From what I could understand, you seem to I think that a trick and an effect are the same thing. I can't imagine what sort of reasoning you used to reach that conclusion.

I will repeat: The magician PERFORMS a TRICK. The spectator sees "something" that deceives him and/or entertains him. THAT is called the EFFECT.

Read: Fitzkee "Showmanship for Magicians"! Read Ken Weber's "Maximum Entertainment"! Read Henning Nelms "Magic and Showmanship"! Read Maskelynne & Devant's "Our Magic"!

Perhaps you should take a remedial course in rhetoric and grammar. To be an entertainer, you must be able to communicate with the audience.

Best Wishes, and, Good Luck!

I live in a country where people don't speak english much so I won't be entertaining in english..
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I don't know of any language that does not have some rules of grammar, and rhetoric. Words do have meaning in any language.

See paragraph #4 of my post above.
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
I think I get it. I will PM you when the trick (did I use the correct word?) gets published hopefully Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Good!

Technically speaking, you'll be selling a PROP and a SECRET. The TRICK exists while it is being performed. However, through years of using the word TRICK, it has become "somewhat" acceptable.

I wish you well in selling your invention!
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

I wish you well in selling your invention!

Technically, he can't be selling an invention, since he stated "my trick uses little effects which other people have created."

Smile
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes!, I agree. I just decided that it was not worth the effort.

I should have put " " around the word, "invention".
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes!, I agree. I just decided that it was not worth the effort.

magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

You should not have put a comma (,) before "invention"? Why pause?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Well, when, I, unpacked, this, "infernal electrisch peckenclacker", there, was, an. oversupply, of, commas, included,. So, I, include, them, at, no, additional, charge,

Besides, I, wanted, to, set, off, the, word, "invention", which, is, my, prerogative, as, the, writer,. The, recipient, may, delete, any, or, all, of, those, commas, if, he, desires, to,. (There, I,even, included,a,"Charlie, Miller,! (I, ended, that, sentence, with, a, PREPOSITION,!) Charlie, Miller, who, was, a, strict, grammarian, gave, me, "carte, blanche," to, do, that, any, time, I, wish, to,. He, even, gave, Winston, Churchill, Prime, Minister, Of England, special, permission, to, use, a, preposition, to, end, a, sentence, with, mainly because, Churchill, in, the, interest, of, using, the "Queen's, English", properly, had, stated, that, using, a, preposition, to, end, a, sentence, (with), was, something, "Up, with, which, I, shall, not,put,!"

So,! as, Rhett, Butler, said, to, Scarlett, O'Hara, in,"GONE, WITH, THE, WIND,": Frankly, Scarlett, "I, don't, give, a, d--m,!

Yours, 'til, the, square, circle, is, empty,

Dick,

P.,S., Pleae, find, enclosed, some extra, ",s",. I, have, an, ample, supply, (,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,)
Kbuck54
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of Kbuck54
I think we all know, who the dangleing participle is in this conversation.
SHAZAM!
magicalmoi
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magicalmoi
Do any of your spectators survive your show?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to sell a magic trick? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL