The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Better call Saul. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I didn't catch the fact that the lawyer Saul is trying to help who has the strange phobia is his older brother. I was trying to figure out what the connection was until I watched a short introduction to the series.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I didn't realize it immediately either until the scene in which Chuck tells Jimmy that he shouldn't ride on his coat tails by continuing to use the name McGill.
RLMASKI87
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of RLMASKI87
Oh wow I didn't realize that either. Intresting
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The show is really picking up steam. (Not that it didn't have a great start!)

It made me think. The writing is sooooo much better than 90% of the dreck that's on TV. Why can't more of it be this good? In another thread, people talk about how much they like Arrow or The Flash. I'm a comic book fan and should like those but to me, the quality in writing is night and day and just makes those un-watchable. (Not to pick on those two but they are the ones that I 'wish' had this kind of writing.)
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I was a fan of Breaking Bad. I have watched the first three "Saul's". Overall I've enjoyed them, but I have a few critiques/concerns.

One potential problem I see is that we all KNOW what happens to Saul. I think that eliminates a lot of directions to go. I am not nearly as engaged as I was with BB since I know Saul changes his name, gets a practice, etc. It's a bit like watching the old TV special "Santa Clause is Coming to Town"; once we get past the "Ohhhh, so THAT'S how it happened!" I think interest in the show may wane.

Also, they really stretched the coincidence factor, even for a TV show. There was absolutely no reason to have Tuco in the show. The odds of those two meeting -- particularly in the completely random way in which is happened -- is almost astronomical, considering how Tuco later played such an important role in Walter's life. I understand that a gratuitous appearance by past cast members is important to gaining viewers, but if it happens too often it'll take away from the show.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2262 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Its going to be tough to top Breaking Bad, but so far I like it.

It was interesting to see Bob Odenkirk (Saul) show up on the Saturday Night Live special. He was a writer for them for a year I believe. Great special by the way.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I know he wrote for Conan. I saw the cast on his show once and they showed and old staff photo with Bob in it.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
I was a fan of Breaking Bad. I have watched the first three "Saul's". Overall I've enjoyed them, but I have a few critiques/concerns.

One potential problem I see is that we all KNOW what happens to Saul. I think that eliminates a lot of directions to go. I am not nearly as engaged as I was with BB since I know Saul changes his name, gets a practice, etc. It's a bit like watching the old TV special "Santa Clause is Coming to Town"; once we get past the "Ohhhh, so THAT'S how it happened!" I think interest in the show may wane.

Also, they really stretched the coincidence factor, even for a TV show. There was absolutely no reason to have Tuco in the show. The odds of those two meeting -- particularly in the completely random way in which is happened -- is almost astronomical, considering how Tuco later played such an important role in Walter's life. I understand that a gratuitous appearance by past cast members is important to gaining viewers, but if it happens too often it'll take away from the show.

See it a different way here. Eliminates a lot of directions to go? What's wrong with having a set direction, especially in a prequel?

As for Tuco, why wouldn't a character in BB be in Saul? It's a prequel to BB after all. Gratuitous? He plays an important role, as does Mike, and who knows who else will as well.

Said it before and saying it again, Vince Gilligan has a firm grip on good television.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Well, Mike and Saul had history, they had a relationship. It makes sense that they had to meet at some point. The same can be said if he were to encounter Badger or Skinny Pete, since they know him as a "criminal" lawyer.

Tuco, on the other hand, had no history with Saul in BB that needed to be accounted for. He had an important role in Walter's life, not in Saul's, so yes, it was gratuitous. Metro Albuquerque has a population of about 887,000 people. For two random people to meet would seem to be 1:887,000 (and I realize that is probably not accurate, it's oversimplified), but or two SPECIFIC people to not only meet but have a life-threatening interaction (the same two that become entwined in Walter White's life) is, well ... astronomical. I was never very good at statistics, so maybe a math whiz out there can crunch the numbers.

What would seem to be too much a coincidence? If he got into a car accident with Marie and sued her? If he got into a barroom brawl with Hank? If he somehow became involved with Walter Jr? They were all important characters, too, but it would seem "gratuitous" to me if Saul just happened to run into all of them.

As for having a set direction to go, there is nothing wrong with it. I just think it limits where things can go. I will never worry that Saul's life will be in danger, for example, because I know what happens to Saul in the end. I wasn't at all concerned that Tuco would cut off Jimmy's finger, were you? That's all I meant. It works for a movie, but I think it's limiting for a TV series. Plus, if this goes 5 years how are they gonna keep Mike looking younger than he does at the beginning of Breaking Bad?

But you are right, Gilligan is very creative and understands his medium, so he has a good chance of pulling it off.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Well, Mike and Saul had history, they had a relationship. It makes sense that they had to meet at some point. The same can be said if he were to encounter Badger or Skinny Pete, since they know him as a "criminal" lawyer.

Tuco, on the other hand, had no history with Saul in BB that needed to be accounted for.

Based on this, perhaps the main point of Tuco's appearance was to introduce and develop Nacho:

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/bette......167.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2015, balducci wrote:
Based on this, perhaps the main point of Tuco's appearance was to introduce and develop Nacho

I suspect you're right. Of course, they didn't need Tuco to introduce this character, which is why I said it was gratuitous.

There's nothing wrong with doing that; it's a bit of a reward to loyal BB viewers. I just hope they don't do it too often, and give "Saul" it's own identity.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I suspect that 'Better call Saul' will be used to introduce us to LOTS of characters from Breaking Bad and how they got to where they were. (Which is one thing that will make it fun.) Most of these will probably be ones that we already know Saul was associated with, some that we didn't realize. Since Saul made his living off of working with the area's underbelly, do we really know that he didn't have some sort of relationship with Tuco? As it turns out, that chance encounter with Tuco is what set the whole cycle in motion that took Saul to where he was when WW met him. The bigger coincidence may be that WW ended up working with Tuco, not the other way around! But, given his line of business, that is not too surprising either.

Having said that, I agree that having Saul have chance encounters with various people that WW knew that AREN'T related through the criminal element could well stretch the realm of believability.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Saul have some sort of interaction with Hank. After all, they are on opposite sides of the drug enforcement coin. Walter Jr? No so much.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I'm hoping they use the series to create a new characters and situations as opposed to dredging up too many people from BB. I don't see how they can avoid bringing in Gus since he is a "Mike connection", which I look forward to since he was one of my favorites.

Time will tell.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
They're ALREADY using the series to create new characters and situations.
RLMASKI87
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of RLMASKI87
Can't wait for the new episode!
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Of course they are. I meant that I hope they make BCS it's own show, rather than rely too heavily on callbacks to BB. I believe that the more it finds its own identity, the better it will be.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2015, balducci wrote:
Based on this, perhaps the main point of Tuco's appearance was to introduce and develop Nacho

I suspect you're right. Of course, they didn't need Tuco to introduce this character, which is why I said it was gratuitous.

They used what we knew about Tuco's character in order to build Nacho's. Nacho was shown to be someone cool and intelligent enough to know how to handle Tuco. (I think the article I posted mentioned this, if not it was mentioned in another one I saw.) If Nacho had done this with someone else, it wouldn't have had the same impact.

They also used Tuco's appearance to show us how different his character in Breaking Bad would be (due to the effect of meth over the years).

AND to show us the sort of people Nacho works with.

So it really wasn't gratuitous. They used what we already knew to advance the current story faster in a couple of ways than it would have been possible to do otherwise.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Of course they are. I meant that I hope they make BCS it's own show, rather than rely too heavily on callbacks to BB. I believe that the more it finds its own identity, the better it will be.

Your opinion, and they might do that.

But I think we are meant to consider 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' as parts of the same overall story. And so I expect to see a lot of call backs. The two shows will complement one another. Some of what happens in BCS will fill in the back story of some events we saw in BB. My guess is that they will do that quite a lot.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Http://www.ew.com/article/2015/01/10/better-call-saul

"Gilligan and Gould said the question they’re most often asked is whether certain Breaking Bad characters will show up in the new series. It turns out stars Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul will not appear in the first season, but all Breaking Bad characters could and likely will show up on Saul at some point."
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2015, balducci wrote:
But I think we are meant to consider 'Breaking Bad' and 'Better Call Saul' as parts of the same overall story. And so I expect to see a lot of call backs. The two shows will complement one another. Some of what happens in BCS will fill in the back story of some events we saw in BB. My guess is that they will do that quite a lot.

Your opinion. And you might be right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Better call Saul. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL