The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Better call Saul. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2652 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
Can't wait for this to hit Ireland.

Try - watchtvlinks.sx. - it's there, along with practically everything else.

Full episodes stream on AMCTV.com (though that may not be available in the UK - there were US sites I couldn't access when I lived there.)
These other streaming sites, while they look fine, are stealing content - and therefore taking money out of my pocket (I write for television so it's a hot button issue for me.)

As for Saul - I'm sold. Love it. I can't wait for tonight's episode.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I really enjoyed the kast episode that showed us how Saul worked as a con man in Chicago when he was still Slippin' Jimmy. I thought the billboard escapade was hilarious, as well as Jimmy's wardrobe purchase.

Looks like this show will be just as successful as its predecessor.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Turns out netflix is on my tablet, so I will be able to catch up. Looking forward to it.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I think you'll like it a lot, Tony. Jimmy McGill, after all, is a fine Irish name. Smile

Again, one of the things I love about the show is that I actually knew a lot of lawyers who were just like Saul. (You can even see a lot of them advertising regularly on TV, on billboards and on bus stop benches- particularly in Las Vegas.)
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Tonight's episode, which focused entirely on Mike Ehrentraut's back story, hit it out of the park. It has to have been one of the bests episodes of dramatic television I've seen.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Jonathan Banks is swinging a very heavy bat, acting wise that is.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, rockwall wrote:
The show is really picking up steam. (Not that it didn't have a great start!)

It made me think. The writing is sooooo much better than 90% of the dreck that's on TV. Why can't more of it be this good? In another thread, people talk about how much they like Arrow or The Flash. I'm a comic book fan and should like those but to me, the quality in writing is night and day and just makes those un-watchable. (Not to pick on those two but they are the ones that I 'wish' had this kind of writing.)

Don't forget who those are being written for as opposed to who this is written for. It is the difference in reading the newspaper vs a novel. Gotta learn to manage your expectations a bit LOL!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think bringing in the back stories of charterers we already know and probably want to know more about is brilliant. I already know and like Mike. Why not tell me more about him and how he became Mike? Brilliant. Same with Tuco and Gus and Gale and on and on. What a way to do things. A way of "discovery" even though you already know the outcome! I loved Apollo 13 yet knew the ending. I watch WWII movies but the ending is a bit spoiled as are movies about George Washington.

To see WHY these people developed into "who" they are is something that can be FANTASTIC story telling as is fairly evident in the Mike episode.

For me this is a MUCH tougher way to do things. Writing when people know the ending and making it compelling is far more difficult. Andrew may be better equipped to speak about it than I. But I do not see it as lazy or relying on Breaking Bad at all. No more than someone relied on history books to write Apollo 13.

This means "great television" is no longer an oxymoron.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:

For me this is a MUCH tougher way to do things. Writing when people know the ending and making it compelling is far more difficult.

Like performing a classic trick and making it good.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I think it's interesting that the best episode so far had extremely limited screen time by the title character.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I t thnk the title is meaningless and a simple vehicle for great story telling.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Maybe. I remember Trudeau once observing that there was a point where Doonesbury stopped being the central character in his comic strip of the same name. Personally, I think Mike (Ehrmantraut, not Doonesbury) is a far more interesting character then Saul. Regardless, I am enjoying the series so far.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Can anyone refresh my memory as to whom, exactly, Saul is hiding from? The Albuquerque bad guys who had ties to him are dead (Walt, Mike, Gus, the NM arm of the cartel, Mike's prison guys, the Neo-Nazis). Saul is no idiot and would follow the activities in ABQ. Hank and Gomez were pretty much lone wolves, and Saul was not really on the radar of most other law enforcement (that I can recall). I must be missing something but I don't see the reason he's in hiding. Is he afraid of Jesse? Do you suppose "Better Call Saul" will revisit the current Saul any more?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Saul had good reason to flee as he was Walt and Jesse's accomplice and frequent bagman. He also directly helped them set up the last meth lab and got Todd to help.

The entire DEA was closing in on Walt when Saul decided to change his identity and run.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
He would have no idea who was still investigating or not. That we know doesn't mean the character knows. That is reason enough.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
So was everyone satisfied with the season finale? I was kinda hoping for a cliffhanger, but it is starting to clarify their personal philosophies.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Very satisfied. It's fitting that the season ended with Jimmy effectively becoming Saul.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I liked it a lot. Either you like it or not. Sort of a take it or leave it dealio. I happened to like it quite a bit. The whole "I am NEVER going to let that get in the way again" was brilliant.

Sort of made me remember the first season of Breaking bad when Jessie said "When you need a "criminal attorney" you want a "CRIMINAL" attorney! It is what put the "CRIMINAL" in Saul.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

What's brilliant about the character is that we can understand why he became Saul and, to a large extent, are able to sympathize with him.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Everyone hasn't screwed him yet, but Mike is certainly demonstrating that he can be trusted and is more dependable than even his own family. It's not just us viewers who are learning about them; they are learning about one another.

I don't agree that it's an all-or-nothing thing. As I said, I would have welcomed a cliffhanger, but I was not DIS-satisfied.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Better call Saul. (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL