The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Pension Before Age 40: Are Military Benefits Too Rich? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16~17~18 [Next]
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Who is asking for your thanks? You don't pay squat to American Soldiers. Historically, they've kicked your *** twice and saved it twice. We're even, so you should direct your animosity elsewhere. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Animosity? I am just trying get you some more money. Look it wouldn't be so bad if you soldiers knew what you were fighting for. You are simple minded folk, who are given very simple propaganda, which they swallow hook line and sinker and spout for why they are there. If had had any brains they would demand a cut of the spoils, like the old soldiers used to do. If had any common sense you would tell you’re so called leaders that never lead that money talks and BS walks. What soldiers need is somebody with a brain to represent them and to ask how much they are going to get out of it. Why should you not get a share of them oil contracts that they gave away to the big oil boys? You can still fight for cause if like but why not ask for a share of spoils also?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Somehow, I don't think Tommy is serious.

If he is, screw'im.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I think soldiers ought to get a cut of the spoils war seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jruQfJkDLRg
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Though this may surprise some of you, I believe combat troops should retire on a very generous pension. If anyone has earned it, they have. While I might not agree with every fight they are involved with, they do put their lives on the line and should be compensated accordingly. I think the US pension is far too small for them.

The same goes for fire-fighters and cops.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Perfect answer.

Agreed. As it is for teachers, cops, factory workers, and all the rest.

How can you consider that a perfect answer in light of your past statements that some people are underpaid? Unless I'm misreading Scott's answer, he's basically saying that nobody is overpaid or underpaid.

In the new Light 'n' Lively go-go go to hell society, I've lowered my expectations. Just getting the B*stids to honor their contracts would be a major miracle, in my eyes.

But you see, they can't even do that. It's their nature. Even if they're ahead fifty points, they still have to cheat and lie. It's a compulsive thing.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, tommy wrote:
I think soldiers ought to get a cut of the spoils war seriously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jruQfJkDLRg

Tommy , is that link serious or part of a comedy show? Couldn't work it out.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ian have you seriously never heard of Major General Smedley Butler? Google is your friend.

Tommy
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
The elite for whom the wars are fought couldn't care less about the soldiers. They care about their profit. Soldiers are expendable cannon fodder. As are teachers, cops, factory workers, old people, and white and blue collar workers. The only ones who do not have to worry about their pensions and golden parachutes are the super-rich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8_0MHo7-0

Perhaps, one day, soldiers will understand that that is the system they are giving their lives to defend.

Agree completely.

But why stop at the soldiers understanding? What about the rest of the cannon fodder who pay taxes so the war machine can continue, and those profits can be made?

Why does the cannon fodder stand by while the lives and money are wasted?

Speaking as an American, I think if you asked the cannon fodder what they wanted the money spent on I doubt the answer would be more weapons and more war. Billions wasted on things that are essentially none of our dammn business.

Have we really reached the point where the desires of the people don't matter, not even slighty?

With such an obvious need for the money and resources here at home, and the excuses for the waste ever more ridiculous, I find myself asking more and more....why?
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well It is only matter of opinion: While some may think that killing and maiming of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi children, women and men and the killing and maiming of thousands of our soldiers, as we tax payers pay billions for it it is just silly as the Iraqi elections are rigged and totally irrelevant, others may think it is the path to a beautiful democracy in Iraq.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well It is only matter of opinion: While some may think that killing and maiming of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi children, women and men and the killing and maiming of thousands of our soldiers, as we tax payers pay billions for it it is just silly as the Iraqi elections are rigged and totally irrelevant, others may think it is the path to a beautiful democracy in Iraq.

Tommy
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
You serve twenty years in military service to the United States and come back and let us know.

Brilliant!

These folks sign up for 20 years of servitude, perhaps death or even crippling, all the while their high school buddies are making big money under the protection of our military. All for what amounts to a stipend and the need for a second career. I am not for frittering my money away on fed programs, but if the money was GUARANTEED to go to our vets, I would be happy to pay...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
Quote:
Perfect answer.

What group of teachers and cops do you know have kept their same retirement benefits for the last 20 years. Did you forget about unions and strikes? Teachers get a new contract about every two or three years and their benefits increase...so don't tell me they get what they sighed up for. Comparing soldiers to police and teachers is much worse than the apples and oranges analogy. Try apples and roller skates.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, tommy wrote:
Ian have you seriously never heard of Major General Smedley Butler? Google is your friend.

Same could be said for you and Bruce Jenner. You know glass houses, rocks, and all. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perfect answer.

What group of teachers and cops do you know have kept their same retirement benefits for the last 20 years. Did you forget about unions and strikes? Teachers get a new contract about every two or three years and their benefits increase...so don't tell me they get what they sighed up for. Comparing soldiers to police and teachers is much worse than the apples and oranges analogy. Try apples and roller skates.

Um. Are you saying that soldiers never get pay raises? And their benefits never increase? Seriously?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Talk about apples and roller skates. Smile

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Perfect answer.

Um. Are you saying that soldiers never get pay raises? And their benefits never increase? Seriously?

Ha, ha. Are you saying soldiers negotiate their contracts? SERIOUSLY. Smile

Also just for the record. I am quite sure I am older than you and I do not ever remember American soldiers going on strike for more pay or other benefits.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Also just for the record. I am quite sure I am older than you and I do not ever remember American soldiers going on strike for more pay or other benefits.

Probably because they are not allowed to.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/976
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Ha, ha. Are you saying soldiers negotiate their contracts? SERIOUSLY. Smile

They do have this going for them:

"Annual pay raises for all ranks, which apply to basic pay and drill pay, are designed to keep pace with overall wage growth in the private sector. By law, the minimum raise must match the annual change in the Employment Cost Index, a Labor Department measurement of private-sector wage growth. But Congress can, and frequently has, increased the size of the annual military pay raise."

http://projects.militarytimes.com/benefi......owances/

Pay raise history for the US Military:

https://www.navycs.com/charts/
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
Ha, ha. Are you saying soldiers negotiate their contracts? SERIOUSLY.

?? Have you been drinking too much of the happy juice in AC?? Who ever said that soldiers negotiate their contracts? He said they have had increases. No, soldiers cannot negotiate for increases, yes they have had increases, yes they should have further increases, yes, many workers have had their pensions gutted and stolen and the government calls it legal.

Oh and just for the record, the last NYC teachers contract was for nine years, and that was after working with no contract for four years. And the retroactive pay we were supposed to get by Thanksgiving of 2014 is nowhere to be seen. I can only imagine what it would be like without a union.

Soldiers are workers, and like all workers they are exploited and screwed by the compulsive predators. Look at the Carlin clip posted above; he explains it all in 3 minutes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A Pension Before Age 40: Are Military Benefits Too Rich? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..16~17~18 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL