The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » So....who is coming to Blackpool? (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Just curious! It's my first time going to a magic convention and I am very excited!
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Not me. Went once and never again - uugghh, Blackpool!!!!!
On an almost related topic. I'm going to see Luke Jermay perform in Crawley (makes Blackpool seem classy) next week. On his promo material for the show he makes it quite clear that he is not a magician, doesn't use psychological principles but is in fact a real mind reader (just to be clear I have no problem with these claims, to each their own). On the same page though it shows that he will be performing at Blackpool magic convention and a number of other magic conventions. Surely this negates his claims to be a real mind reader? Why on earth would a real mind reader be associating with magicians? I wonder if the public even notice such things and if they care?
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Whats wrong with Blackpool?

Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, ed wood wrote:
On an almost related topic. I'm going to see Luke Jermay perform in Crawley (makes Blackpool seem classy) next week. On his promo material for the show he makes it quite clear that he is not a magician, doesn't use psychological principles but is in fact a real mind reader (just to be clear I have no problem with these claims, to each their own). On the same page though it shows that he will be performing at Blackpool magic convention and a number of other magic conventions. Surely this negates his claims to be a real mind reader? Why on earth would a real mind reader be associating with magicians? I wonder if the public even notice such things and if they care?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
What's wrong with Blackpool? The day isn't long enough to tell you. I won't be there.

There are plenty of smaller, friendlier, more intimate conventions where you get to meet people, enjoy lectures, and really learn.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its the QVC of conventions...not for me...
I've asked to be banned
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
742 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2015, LoveKey1988 wrote:
Whats wrong with Blackpool?

Quote:

I'm sure you'll have a blast, especially if you haven't been to many conventions before and if you have more of an interest in conventional magic than mentalism. Blackpool is not the most pleasant of towns so don't expect to do much sight seeing if you get tired of the convention. I recommend drinking heavily, although that is my solution to most things.
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3353 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:

I guess that's a very clever disclaimer in itself....disclaimer by assumption Smile
Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/ Learn Mentalism with the Pro's: https://www.mymind.rocks
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Is Derick Leaver still involved?

If so, many are probably still banned.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
I made the journey from Spain to attend over 25 years ago. I have never been back, it was a total let down for me. It promised so much yet delivered so little, I won't be wasting time and money on it again that's for sure.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
What conventions are worth attending in UK? For future reference!
Daniel Meadows
View Profile
Veteran user
Manchester, UK
392 Posts

Profile of Daniel Meadows
Ok - I'll buck the trend. I actually like Blackpool. I think it is what you make it and who you are with:
Go and have a splurge in the dealer's hall where it feels like Xmas morning,
go and watch some of the world's best magicians teach you their pet effects,
go and have a beer in the Ruskin and meet some fantastic people.

Maybe we are getting spoiled with the quality of the lecturers on 'Penguin Live' and 'At the table'?

It is a meat-market at times but I think some people are forgetting that first time at Blackpool, or the fact that people go year after year.

In terms of Conventions I've been to I really enjoyed the Deception Convention in Liverpool last year (other end of the spectrum with nearer 100 people. More intimate and very friendly). I also went to the Session this year for the first time (which was amazing).
I'm off to the South Tyneside for the first time this year too, so will report back on that.
Cerberus Wallet, Equilibrium, Counterfeit, Deadly Marked Deck, Infamous, Instinct
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1968 Posts

Profile of celebrity
I'll be there as regular as clockwork, feel free to join me and any of my friends for a beer. Although Blackpool itself isn't the cleanest of places there is still good times to be had.

I look forward to seeing you there too Daniel and the Session, South Tyneside and my own convention MINDS2 are good to visit too Smile
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1798 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
I'm going for the first time because a. I know a bunch of people who are going so I'll be able to high five a bunch of sound people and b. enough veterans have described it as either amazing or toe-curlingly awful that I MUST see it. Worst comes to the worst I'll just go and play penny slots at the arcade because hey: it's Blackpool.

See you guys there.

Or not.

Phill
The new Elysian Duets, marked cards featuring my unique Optical Marking System:
-+: https://phillsmithcreative.com/products/elysian-duets :+-
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4191 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I will be there.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
What conventions are worth attending in UK? For future reference!

It really does depend on what you're looking for. If you want the smaller, more intimate magic convention then South Tyneside is one to enjoy. If you want a smaller, more intimate mentalism then Minds (in Newcastle) is good. If you want a huge, full on, in your face magic convention with lots of great lectures, shows, late nights, dealers, then Blackpool is the one. If you wanted most of that but on a lesser level then the IBM convention is enjoyable.

I went to Blackpool for many years, then worked on one of the largest dealer stands for many years. It's unique and if it's your first you are in for an interesting few days. Blackpool is a Northern seaside resort and it is what it is. It's more than manageable with common sense. Hopefully you'll spend most of your time in the convention.

Remember, there was a man once who was thinking of moving to a Village. He asked a resident what it was like. He said that when he moved there he expected the Village to be friendly, welcoming, polite and cheerful. When he moved there he found that it was. The man moved on and asked another resident of the same village the same question. He said that when he moved there he expected the Village to be unfriendly, aloof, impolite and miserable. When he moved there he was saddened to find that it was.

Go with an open mind and a full wallet, enjoy Blackpool, then try some more and make your own mind up.
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Rolyan...good story. Read it before but it remains good nonetheless and definetely true words. I am sure I will enjoy it very much!!!
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I am only interested in the magic convention not in sight seeing Smile
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Quote:
I am only interested in the magic convention not in sight seeing Smile

Then you will surely enjoy it. Although to be fair, Blackpool is not as bad as some would have you believe. To quote Cotton Hawes "it grows on you, it's a hairy b@@@@@d but you get to love it".
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Just remember - it's not orange, it's tangerine!
AnthemFlint
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of AnthemFlint
I'll be there! Come see all the new stuff from me and Losander in the dealers room!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » So....who is coming to Blackpool? (24 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL