The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » What are the best cards for humid climate? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RLMASKI87
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of RLMASKI87
Hello Magic Café Members, I've tried looking around online and on this forum to answer this question. I was wondering if there are any cards (non plastic) that can handle humidity better than others in your experience. Also any tips on how to reduce the warping of cards in humid conditions?
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
I am not a card magician but I know the baisics and trying to get back into cards. What I do know is a difference between plastic coated and non. Can't recall where I read it or what that difference was. I think one was slicker though but didn't hold up as well as the other. I have just used what others do and don't know of magicians likeing plastic coated. However there are diffent finishes even for non plastic and I am not sure this effects hummidity resistance or not but moisture is bad. If you use fanning powder I am told it contains a substance used on the bolts or something on aircrafts. Apparently repeling moisture to reduce ice buildup. My opinion is that it keeps humidity off and they attract less dirt and grit and stay crisper. More to fanning powder but you may also want thicker cards.

Some brands have thicker stock or more layers (ply). Bicycles are popular for the general magic community being thinner and cheaper. They last and are slick but don't hold as well as bees as they are heavier. Not to mention that they handle like butter. Tally-Ho's are as thick and heavy as it gets. Very well liked amongst magicians. Bee's and Tally-Ho's are eisier to come by as far as quality cards go. But you can also get Richard Turner's cards. Baisically Bee cardstock for a Bicycle deck. Also feel smooth to the edge still using the dozen I got years ago. Anyway you can ask around or pm me. Probably powder and thicker cards will help. Smile
Jeremy Gates
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
886 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
P.S. cards warp from heat is well which comes with humid teritory but. If you have a lot of finger contact of the deck you warm them and they warp. Limited contact helps and giving them a cut everyonce in a while helps that. The oil on your fingers doesn't help them stay slick either. Cool moderatly dry hands are ideal.
Jeremy Gates
Robert D. Adams
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, UK
64 Posts

Profile of Robert D. Adams
The vast majority of paper decks are plastic coated before being cut. I'm not sure If any moisture can pass through the plastic but it certainly can get in the cut edge.

Lee Asher signature Fournier 605's are one of the few modern decks that individually varnish cards after cutting. They are baked dry creating a much tougher and water resistant coating. Here's the catch... they don't fan well straight out of the box. It takes a lot of work to wear down the varnish and get the deck to fan nicely. Other than that they are a brilliant deck of cards. They will eventually handle like a good USPC deck but last much much longer. You can even wash them!

http://www.leeasher.com/store/playing_cards/index.html

I prefer USPC decks for magic. A card clip made by Joe Porper should be enough to keep your deck flat in humid climates. Cheaper makes will not. I always keep my working deck in a Porper clip.

You can use any paper press. There are some purpose made for cards but a cheap one made for craft (leaves and such) would do fine. In my experience the Porper card clip is not only good enough for prevention but will actually remove the pop from a deck as well.

Many sellers stock both Fournier 605's and Porper clips.

(There are some beautiful leather clad versions from people like Dan and Dave and R.E. Hand Crafted if you are feeling rich!)
RLMASKI87
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of RLMASKI87
Thanks J.G. the magnificent and Robert D. Adams for all the great information. This is very helpful and I will invest in a card clip and some fanning powder. I do have a tally-ho deck but it seems to "pop", but with the clip it should help and the fanning powder should help with the card sticking to eachother. I'll Check out those Lee Asher cards and the Richard Turner cards. Thanks for the help!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Depository » » What are the best cards for humid climate? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL