The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Jerry,

The Dynamo Deck was the predecessor to the BCS. But, in truth, they are different in purpose. Yes, some routines can be done with either, but each has its own designated use. I still use the BCS all the time.

Since the topic came up earlier, the Memorized BCS, as well as instructions on working it backwards, can be found in Mystique.

Richard
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1170 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Richard, thank you for your response.
I thought that the Dynamo Deck was similar to the S.U.M. Deck or "The Code" deck. Now I know it is not that type.
Then I thought you were holding back your underground stack deck system, and finally released the Dynamo deck to magic community.
Still don't see the advantages over the BCS with Dynamo.

If I do purchase, it will most likely be with the Intimate Impossibilities DVD's. Still considering, but very happy with the BCS.
Also, I appreciate the location of the current source for Memorized BCS.

Thank you for your time on this matter.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Jerry, if you get Intimate Impossibilities, it explains how to make the Dynamo Deck. I do most of the routines from the Dynamo Deck book, but not all. Either way, if you get just the DVD or both, you will see the differences in the 2 stacks and the different uses for them.

All my best,
Richard
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2015, J-L Sparrow wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
If you are using it to play a BLACKJACK game, here's a beautiful hint: if you are dealing 4 piles (4 players including you as the dealer), and if the audience cuts to an 8 of Hearts... you are in for the win. Because this way, all three players will amount to 21 (Blackjack) and you the dealer will have 20.

I must not be doing something right, Zlwin, because if I use a BCS stack and cut it so that the Eight of Hearts is at the bottom, then deal eight cards (from the top of the deck) into four piles (the last pile being the dealer's), the second and fourth pile each have a 21 (with an Ace and a face card).

Since the fourth pile (which has an Ace and a King) is the dealer's pile, he automatically wins with no need to hit.

If the first player hits twice, then his two extra cards will bring his total up to 21.

As for the third player, he starts with 16, and if he hits he'll get a 7 card, which makes him bust at 23.

So when I try it, the first, second, and fourth players each get 21, with the third player either staying at 16 or pushing his luck and busting at 23. Either way, the dealer (the fourth player) wins and the third player loses.

But you said that the first three players win with 21, while the dealer loses with 20. Am I missing something?

JL Sparrow,

That's my bad. I am sorry. It isn't the 8 of Hearts, it is the 9 of Hearts that makes this work.

When the spectator cuts to the 9 of Hearts. you proceed with putting the 9H away, then start dealing into 4 piles, the 4th pile is yours (the dealer). Here is what would happen:

1st Pile: 7S + 4H
2nd Pile: 2S + 10C
3rd Pile: 5C + 10D
4th Pile: KD + JS

Each of the spectator (1st, 2nd, 3rd) will each take one card. Then this would will be the new hand.

1st Pile: 7S + 4H + 10H = 21 (Blackjack)
2nd Pile: 2S + 10C + 9S = 21 (Blackjack)
3rd Pile: 5C + 10D + 6C = 21 (Blackjack)

Thus, the spectators WIN! You lose because your hand holds two picture cards equaling to 20.

I hope you have fun with this. It's great to be able to say, "I have a premonition. Even before I deal out the cards, I have a strong premonition that I would end up losing this round and you three will win. In fact, you three will have the same total. And I will miss by one." or something along the lines.

This is fun! =)
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, The_MetalMaster wrote:
that is a great idea. my mem deck is the best utility I think I have! good for you to take the time to memorize Richard's system. what effects do you mostly perform with the BCS mem deck?

For my stage shows, I use it for Card Calling. I get the volunteer to take a pile of about 10 cards or more, shuffle it, then I start calling out the cards. The routine is explained in Osterlind's DVD. And book too, if I am not mistaken.

For close up, I love the Poker Deal.
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
That's my bad. I am sorry. It isn't the 8 of Hearts, it is the 9 of Hearts that makes this work.

Ah! Now it works, thanks! I gotta say, good find!

Quote:
Thus, the spectators WIN! You lose because your hand holds two picture cards equaling to 20.

I hope you have fun with this. It's great to be able to say, "I have a premonition. Even before I deal out the cards, I have a strong premonition that I would end up losing this round and you three will win. In fact, you three will have the same total. And I will miss by one." or something along the lines.

Yeah, not only will the dealer miss by one (with a total of 20), but if the spectators encourage the dealer to hit one more time (to see if the dealer gets an Ace), the dealer will get a 2 and bust at 22! So if the dealer doesn't hit he misses by one, and if he does hit he still misses by one. That's an impressive coincidence!

Thanks for sharing your finding, Zlwin Chew! I may have to take advantage of your 9 of Hearts suggestion and "accidentally" cut to it one of these days...
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
J-L Sparrow,
I hope you have lots of fun with it! And if you do have other findings about this deck, do share with me, too.

Richard Osterlind,
Thank you for sharing your greatest secret to the those who would listen. We owe you a huge one! Cheers!
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Thank you, Zlwin. Smile
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
277 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Quote:
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2015, The_MetalMaster wrote:
that is a great idea. my mem deck is the best utility I think I have! good for you to take the time to memorize Richard's system. what effects do you mostly perform with the BCS mem deck?

For my stage shows, I use it for Card Calling. I get the volunteer to take a pile of about 10 cards or more, shuffle it, then I start calling out the cards. The routine is explained in Osterlind's DVD. And book too, if I am not mistaken.

For close up, I love the Poker Deal.

Ah yes, I've performed this twice. Its very good. The last time I performed it to set up Richard's Thought Scan effect. I also like doing it with Simon Aronson's 2 Deck Canasta
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
J-L Sparrow,
I hope you have lots of fun with it! And if you do have other findings about this deck, do share with me, too.

I have found an interesting trait of the BCS stack. I was able to create a magic trick around it, but it requires the MBCS (the Memorized Breakthrough Card System) to take advantage of it. So far I've only discovered this one trick with it (and one variant), but I'll keep looking for more applications of this trait.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Pray tell!!! Smile
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
Pray tell!!! Smile

Thanks for your interest, but I'm not quite ready to make my finding public in that I still haven't found a quintessential example for it yet.

My finding allows the magician to determine where the stack has been cut without the need to look at any cards -- but a little input is still needed. And this needed input should seem insignificant to most memdeck magicians (as well as to other magicians and non-magicians). But thanks to this particular property of the BCS stack, it's just enough to determine where one is in the stack.

But memdeck workers of non-BCS stacks can easily work around this feature by using another trick, such as a sneaky peek, to achieve the same effect. (Of course, that might mean that they'd have to handle the cards, but that might not be a concern to them.) Does that devalue my finding? I hope not, but I don't know exactly -- which is why I'm trying to figure out more (and hopefully more stunning) uses of this property.

So far I've only been able to find a worthwhile use of this property using a BCS stack that's memorized (that is, the MBCS). So anyone who wants to use it on a BCS stack that's not memorized is out of luck, unless a way is figured out that doesn't require the use of a memorized deck.
Scott Horn
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, TX
396 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
Perfect timing... this is the first time Ive looked at this topic because I have no chance of memorizing a full deck stack. However, I recently dug up my BCS booklet which I must have had for over 10 years but never really worked. But now, with some practice, I can work the system. I opened up this topic to see if this has been discussed, and WOW, the second thread from the top is on the BCS.

Now that I have it down, Im hoping to find some good routines. At its face, its kind of a misdirected peek. Instead of peeking the selection, I peek the "other" card to divine the selection.

My question is... are there any good resources to find effects specifically taking advantage of the BCS? I assume many Si Stebbins effects are applicable.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
JL Sparrow,
I sure do hope you will be able to get your new routine on a video so you could show us. It is great to know another fellow magician is wrecking his brain to think of a new trick with the BCS and I am sure one day someone will create something really incredible! Smile
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2015, Scott Horn wrote:
Perfect timing... I opened up this topic to see if this has been discussed, and WOW, the second thread from the top is on the BCS.

Thank you =D this is something I learned the moment my friend told me about it. And there was no turning back.
MichaelJae
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of MichaelJae
BCS=Best Card Stack-EVER!!
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1170 Posts

Profile of Jerry
I really wish a mark deck using the BCS system was made like "The Code" deck.
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
I believe that's the Demon Deck by Larry Becker and Lee Earle.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2868 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Yep, correct.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1170 Posts

Profile of Jerry
Demon Deck is no longer available.

Also, what would be even better then the "Demon Deck" or "The Code", an updated Deland Deck using the current marking systems with the BCS stack.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Richard Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System (6 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL