The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Against All Odds By Alakazam Magic (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
I this this has potential and I would consider this if a switch deck is available.

My Wife who accompanies me to Blackpool as my token Layperson to help me evaluate effects, afterwards questioned why the card faces cannot be shown following the demo and immediately suggested that there must be duplicate cards to increase the odds of getting a hit, not the exact method of course but this is how Lay People would think on reverse engineering the effect.

I have to say that the cards do look good and this could be very strong indeed if an Ungimmicked Deck was made available with the effect for the Deck Switch.

I already have Psi Lotto which is similar but has additional subtleties built in to apparently show the numbers.

I like Against All Odds though as the cards look really good.
MikeMgc
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of MikeMgc
Just wondering is there any way that the cards could be displayed, even if briefly so that the Audience beleive that they saw the cards. This can be emphasised afterwards.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
188 Posts

Profile of Lester
Psi-Lottery-absolutely first class!
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, MikeMgc wrote:
Just wondering is there any way that the cards could be displayed, even if briefly so that the Audience beleive that they saw the cards. This can be emphasised afterwards.

I have now started to do this:
During the opening patter I now perform a very tight spread of the cards face up with an emphasis on the last few cards (numbered 50, 51 & 52).
It really is no big deal if you flash a couple of the other cards ( the audiences don't know where you are going with this effect so it is not a problem)
Then simply scoop the cards up turn them over and go directly into the effect).

If any spectator then tries to reverse engineer things the very first thing you did was spread the cards face up - end of reverse engineering theories!

I thought about doing this, practised and discussed it with a good magician friend of mine and we both agreed it was more than doable.
I have now done this live a number of times and so far not even had the slightest of problems.
The biggest problem I have is convincing the spectator that the lottery ticket I have given them is a real, live, in play lottery ticket and not a copy!
I have the lottery ticket in a small sealed envelope and I ask the spectator rip open the envelope then go into the reveal.

If performed correctly this is a very good trick. Once again don't under estimate it.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
232 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Does anyone here feel that having to rearrange the number cards in ascending order at the end of the trick takes away from the impact?

If this is predicting the future, shouldn't we be able to predict the order of the numbers as well?
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3600 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2015, Sean Gem wrote:
Does anyone here feel that having to rearrange the number cards in ascending order at the end of the trick takes away from the impact?

If this is predicting the future, shouldn't we be able to predict the order of the numbers as well?

Even if we could, lottery tickets are always printed in ascending order. In the UK when the draw is made the numbers are rearranged into ascending order to match the tickets. Therefore it doesn't take away from the impact. The problem with having the selected numbers in the original order and the printed ticket in ascending order is that the spectators have to cross check the numbers which kind of kills that TA-DA moment. On the other hand, when the numbers on the ticket are called out in the same order that the selections are displayed there is the problem of that "too perfect" moment. The way I have solved that dilemma in my stage act is that I have the numbers on display in the order they were selected, I have the people that chose the numbers stand up, they are instructed to sit down (a-la hoy) when they hear their number. A member of the audience reads out the ticket, although the numbers on the ticket being in a different order to how they are displayed on stage, the spectator sitting down after each, number is called visually demonstrates that the numbers match without the need to cross check and figure out if I got it right.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
232 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
Mark, I'm no lotto expert, but I don't think lotto numbers are places in ascending order here in the US. I believe the order is random.

Anyone here know if I'm wrong?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5778 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
They are placing them in order more and more.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3600 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I've not seen all US state lottery tickets but all of those that I have seen print the tickets in ascending order. Likewise the slips that you use to select the numbers is printed in numerical order. The machine that reads that slip has no way of knowing in which order you selected the numbers and randomising it would serve no useful purpose and so it is unlikely that you will find a lottery ticket anywhere in the world that is printed in anything other than numerical order.

That said, whatever is normal for the tickets you are using will influence your presentation. In the demo Peter is using a UK lottery ticket and so it makes sense for him to rearrange the numbers into ascending order matching what happens on the televised draw.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 22, 2015, Sean Gem wrote:

Sean, I have performed this on numerous occassions and it is the exact opposite to be honest.
The idea and performance involved of picking up the cards then laying them down in ascending order actually builds the effect
and enhances the performance of the trick. The spectator reads out the numbers on the lottery ticket as you turn the cards over
one by one. By the time you get to the fourth card the spectators are pretty amazed. It works much better if the numbers are in ascending order
rather than just at random. Also, Peter's little idea of incorrectly guessing the last and final card then turning over the correct card is a nice
kicker that also works very well.

In the UK lottery the numbers are always put immediately into ascending order and wherever and whenever lottery numbers are published they
are shown in ascending order - never in the order that that they came out of the machine. Therefore spectators actually expect the numbers to be read out (and therefore revealed) in ascending order.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Sean Xem
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
232 Posts

Profile of Sean Xem
GreatRaymondo,

That explanation was very helpful. I wasn't aware that lotto numbers are always reported in ascending order.

Thank you.
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
I've been playing with this, and I have question.
Is there a quick way to reset this?
It's pretty much one & done.
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
968 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 30, 2015, tomdeg wrote:
I've been playing with this, and I have question.
Is there a quick way to reset this?
It's pretty much one & done.

Nope. No quick or immediate reset for this. It's a trip to the restrooms!
tomdeg
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of tomdeg
Also, our Lotteries here in NY go to 59.
(I should have checked this out before getting it.)
MJG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of MJG
Picked this up a few months ago..have performed it around 10 times now and have to say as regards to the close-up version it's 'okay'..not great..not bad just okay..

Most lay people won't get onto the method but a the same time they may think "Why can't they choose a set of random number cards..or even a random number?"

On the other hand the stand-up piece offers some nice ideas which has really helped me with a stand-up lottery presentation I am currently working on. If you were to buy this just for the stand-up piece then I would say it's good value for money.
chrislomas
View Profile
Regular user
Coningsby, Lincs
129 Posts

Profile of chrislomas
Got this at the start of the month. I use this with changeling at the start of the trick. Pull out a lottery ticket, place it on the table saying I'm rubbish at the lottery. Take out changeling saying all I can do is turn 10 pound into 5 pound. Spectators hands of course.

Go into the routine I say I found this deck on line, and I go into a very similar style that gets taught to get the cards selected. End it with would you go into a shop and buy them numbers on a ticket. Explain its 14 million to 1 odds. Then bring attention to the ticket I left on the table about 5 minutes before hand. The rest just plays out.

Do not underestimate this. It is an awesone effect. Yes, unless you want to go and reset in the loos, you cannot do it again, and you can't hand the deck out. But it is fantastic!!
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1892 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Cannot decide now between this and NumberTised by Lee Earl
Zargo
View Profile
New user
Germany
64 Posts

Profile of Zargo
I bought this and last december I did the stage version for a lottery company in Germany. It went over really great, also the addition with the magic square.
But it needed a bit audience management, because the "chief spectator" wanted to shuffle the deck (not possible).

Afterwards I thought for stage performance a deck switch would be really great. The spectator shuffles and examines a normal deck and in an offbeat change the deck and go with the routine. I would simple switch the deck while taking a lucky wand or something for the spectator out of my case.
Alakazam said they will not print a "normal" deck, cause it is superfluous. I really don't think so.

So question: Do anyone know about similar decks with numbers on it? Also I would love to have this in bigger deck size like jumbo cards or a parlour deck! I would then just assemble my own deck!
Second question: the new version seems for me to be not really a better version, anyone know?
https://www.mystiquefactory.com/products......13353802
Magic by Marko (Zauberer, Trick Artist from Germany)
"Its kind of fun to do the impossible"!
(Walt Disney)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Against All Odds By Alakazam Magic (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL