We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is Shawn Farquhar the best magician at the moment? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
I was wondering if you also think Shawn Farquhar is the best magician in the world? He beat dynamo at a London convention. He was on Ellen and he fooled Penn and Teller? Also does anyone know where you can purchase some of his tricks aside from the tricks on his website as I already have them?
It would be really helpful if you replied.
Thank You
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1115 Posts

Profile of mlippo
>I was wondering if you also think Shawn Farquhar is the best magician in the world?

No

Derren Brown, Mario Lopez, Dani DaOrtiz, Henry Evans are just SOME of the names that come to my mind right now. And I think they're all better than he is.

mlippo
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Brian...A TRICK only exists while it is being performed. MAGIC only exists in the mind(s) of the spectator(s). You CANNOT BUY TRICKS OR MAGIC.

You CAN purchase PROPS and/or SECRETS. Then, it "aint WHAT you do, it's HOW you do it! "Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks, are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." --S. H. Sharpe

Trying to select the "best magician in the world" is extremely subjective. It's like comparing "apples & oranges", or "bananas"! DE GUSTIBUS NON EST DISPUTANDUM! (concerning tastes, we cannot argue.)

You, apparently, are just starting out. I urge you to read, "MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT" (Ken Weber). Then,if you are SERIOUS, study the "TARBELL COURSE IN MAGIC". Others may promote their "favorite" book, as the "panacea". They mean well, but, their opinions are SUBJECTIVE.

The ship was heading out to sea. A young sailor, and a "grizzled" old veteran sailor, were standing at the ship's rail, looking out at the ocean. The young lad exclaimed: "There's a lot of water out there!" The old timer replied, "What you see is only the top of it!"

Tarbell will explain many tricks, but he will also introduce you to the principles of magic. Tarbell was first published in 1927. It has been revised and republished, and, TARBELL IS STILL IN PRINT!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
brianmagic23
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of brianmagic23
Thank you very much dick oslund
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
P.S.

I read Tarbell in the original edition. (The correspondence course was mailed to subscribers--one lesson at a time.)--I'm not that old! I bought the entire course from my mentor's estate, when he died.

The revised edition (1941)published by Lou Tannen, "expurgated" props of competitive dealers,like Percy Abbott, and inserted props that were made by Tannen! Volume VII was written and edited by Harry Lorayne, who was eminently qualified, with contributions by many well qualified performers.

There is now a pdf edition of the original course, available, FREE. You'll need to inquire from someone more computer savvy than I am, to learn how to "get" it.
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Asking who the best magician is, is like asking who the best band in the world is. Subjective opinions about creatives will always vary. I would say he is one of the better ones though. Certainly one of the top stars.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I spent a week on a cruise with Shawn (and our wives!). Shawn is a very polished professional magician. But more importantly he is a terrific person. After just a few day I felt like I've known him all my life. Is he the best magician in the world? Probably not - but then again he just may be.

Jim
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3645 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I spent a week on a cruise with Shawn (and our wives!). Shawn is a very polished professional magician. But more importantly he is a terrific person. After just a few day I felt like I've known him all my life. Is he the best magician in the world? Probably not - but then again he just may be.

Jim
mbwambwa
View Profile
New user
I've never posted anything, so how come I have
61 Posts

Profile of mbwambwa
Following up on what Mr. Oslund said - anyone have informstion on how to obtain Tarbell for free?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
Inter library loan at least here in the states.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Joe Piseski
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
18 Posts

Profile of Joe Piseski
One thing's for sure... Shawn is a great performer, a very king & generous person, and is passionate about helping bring some magic into this world. He's definitely one of the good guys!

BTW, there's a great 2-part interview with Shawn on The Magic Talk podcast (my weekly must-listen to podcast habit!).

Joe
Joe Piseski
View Profile
New user
Tampa, FL
18 Posts

Profile of Joe Piseski
Meant to say "kind"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yes! I was spending the winter months in New Orleans about five years ago. Jon Racherbaumer is a good friend. There is a little regional "convention" in southern Louiana. John said, "I'm going. I'm booked to lecture." So, I went with John. Shawn was booked to do close up etc. We had lunch together, I found Shawn a delight to be with. He did a very polished lecture, and worked one of the evening shows. --Both good, although I liked the lecture better (Personal taste).
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
237 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
Tarbell was available on the Learned pig project - bought by Lybrary.com you might look there
Let the Entertainment Commence!
mbwambwa
View Profile
New user
I've never posted anything, so how come I have
61 Posts

Profile of mbwambwa
Redhatmagic - thanks very much. I'll check it out.
Wenzelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Wenzelo
Maybe not the best but definitely one of the best
Shawn Farquhar
View Profile
V.I.P.
Canada
744 Posts

Profile of Shawn Farquhar
I'm pretty confident to say Shawn Farquhar is not the best magician at the moment. All the magicians mlippo mentioned, Derren Brown, Mario Lopez, Dani DaOrtiz and Henry Evans are awesome magicians but I suspect they too would decline the title. I don't personally know Derren Brown, although we sat together at FISM for a week, but the others I am very proud to call friend and even brother. Here's my thoughts, yes I beat Dynamo in a magic contest, but that was one particular day in a life time of days. That day is gone and many more have passed since then... I've been on Ellen, but so have countless other magicians. I also fooled for Penn and Teller, but once again so did others. Here's what I'm trying to say... who cares who's the best magician at this moment, because by the time you finish reading my post, that moment is gone and another has begun. Let's all just try to be the best we can be at any given moment.

I'd also suggest Ken Webers book Maximum Entertainment and the Tarbell Course. I'd buy the physical books and not the .pdf (even if they are free). Why? Well you will only be able to afford one book at a time so you will read it, practice and then move on. If you get all the volumes at once you will flip through the books read a few tricks that look interesting and move on... missing many of the essay's and important information that will help you become the magician you wish to become. Don't rush the journey, start slow and learn how to learn. There's that old saying it's not the destination but the journey that counts...

Keep well and busy,

-shawn

p.s. My website contains every piece of magic I have ever released to the community, so if you don't see it there... it's not yet for sale.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1115 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, Shawn Farquhar wrote:
I'm pretty confident to say Shawn Farquhar is not the best magician at the moment. All the magicians mlippo mentioned, Derren Brown, Mario Lopez, Dani DaOrtiz and Henry Evans are awesome magicians but I suspect they too would decline the title. I don't personally know Derren Brown, although we sat together at FISM for a week, but the others I am very proud to call friend and even brother. Here's my thoughts, yes I beat Dynamo in a magic contest, but that was one particular day in a life time of days. That day is gone and many more have passed since then... I've been on Ellen, but so have countless other magicians. I also fooled for Penn and Teller, but once again so did others. Here's what I'm trying to say... who cares who's the best magician at this moment, because by the time you finish reading my post, that moment is gone and another has begun. Let's all just try to be the best we can be at any given moment.

I'd also suggest Ken Webers book Maximum Entertainment and the Tarbell Course. I'd buy the physical books and not the .pdf (even if they are free). Why? Well you will only be able to afford one book at a time so you will read it, practice and then move on. If you get all the volumes at once you will flip through the books read a few tricks that look interesting and move on... missing many of the essay's and important information that will help you become the magician you wish to become. Don't rush the journey, start slow and learn how to learn. There's that old saying it's not the destination but the journey that counts...

Keep well and busy,

-shawn

p.s. My website contains every piece of magic I have ever released to the community, so if you don't see it there... it's not yet for sale.

Not the best magician in the world ( Smile ) but certainly the best answer to the OP I could think of!

Bravo!!!

mlippo
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5543 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Great answer Shawn. I love it when professionals act professionally. Sadly, it's becoming rarer and rarer.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3962 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, Shawn Farquhar wrote:

Keep well and busy,

-shawn

I would say that in certain circles, Shawn IS the best magician. His performances really draw people into his world. He has all the elements that come together to make people leave the theater thinking they had a really good time. That is all that matters. If people leave your show thinking they had a really good time, then at that moment, you are the best there is.

All the best,

KJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is Shawn Farquhar the best magician at the moment? (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL