The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Tres" by Vlad Zyuzin (38 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1881 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I just finished reading Tres. I was a bit worried over the $99 price, but I am very happy with my purchase. This is completely propless, and I believe it will have a very strong reaction. If done well, this is a "start your own religion" routine.

It is a 100% propless 3 part "PK Touches" type routine. Since I am no expert in the history of this type of effect, I can't say how original it is, other than it feels original, and he does credit many other authors

This is ballsy, a bit like your first hypnotism show. It is a Stage/Parlor routine, and I don't think it would be as strong for small groups, much like most hypnotism. I would be happy to be proven otherwise, It is NOT hypnotism, but will have a similar "free" feel to the performer.

Because of the similarities, this would also work well a bit of hypnotism. I do think this could be done in a magic show, but I think the strength would, to a large extent, be destroyed.

It a worst case scenario if this does not work, which good volunteer selection should nearly eliminate, it can easily be downplayed, as opposed to someone discovering an IMP device or electronic gadget, which could destroy a show and more.

At the end, is a very persuasive essay on why to use propless mentalism.

I can see it performed at larger parties, but I don't see non-stage/parlor performers using this much It is interesting enough (to me) to be worth it anyway. I can see this becoming a favorite and a closer for workers. This is a limited offering (not exactly sure what that means) and I am very happy with it. I'll be dreaming all night on how I can adapt it to my show!
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
KC,

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I'm so glad that with this release (which I consider to be my greatest creation to date) I'm able to positively affect other mentalists' thinking and performances. For me, it's all about creating miracles from nothing. No props at any time, no conventional methods at work, that exactly describes my style and what I try to convey in my releases.

For those interested in "Tres", please feel free to PM me.

Kind regards,

-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1881 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
I am very excited about it. I am sorry the review is a little disjointed, I was up late reading "Tres" and wrote it at 2:30 am.

"Tres" is very different than other mentalism I've done, and it has definitely got me rethinking my act. I have always preferred a minimalist approach and "Tres" fits that without having to do any calculations or mental gymnastics.

I would like to say again, if done correctly, this is a "start your own religion" type routine. Don't let this one slip by!
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
I can wholeheartedly say that this is one of the best purchases I have made, and I don't say that lightly. While I have definitely wasted more money on poorly constructed ideas than I care to share, I have numerous extremely strong and well-respected pieces of mentalism within my collection.

Each phase is carefully crafted and could effectively be performed as individual demonstrations. However, with the three phases in conjunction, Vlad has given us a very powerful routine, with each phase logically building upon the last. It is clear that this is not a quick idea that has been packaged and sent out for sale. Careful consideration has been put into each and every detail. Vlad also includes a well-written thought-provoking short essay on propless mentalism. On top of all this, Vlad seems like a very nice person with impeccable customer service.

Josh
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
While the PK/invisible touch section only accounts for 1/3 of "Tres," that seems to be the portion that people are most curious about. I am familiar with several methods for achieving this effect, including Banachek's and Lior Manor's. Vlad offers two solutions. Solution #1 bears no resemblance to any methods that I am aware of. Solution #2 has some similarities to other known methods, but I would consider it a significant improvement. I can't really elaborate more as it would require me to expose methods.

With all that being said, phases 1 and 2 are excellent and should not be discounted. You are getting THREE solid demonstrations. Put together, they create a wonderfully theatrical piece of mentalism, but each phase has strength on its own. No fluff. No throwaway.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
3 demonstrations in an ebook for $100? big deal. I bought Joshua Jays life's work on 4 discs shot in HD for an extra $50. Why do some mentalists think their ebooks are worth so much? They very rarely are. I mean I don't mind paying this sort of money for a nicely bound hardback like Bob or Atlas or many others produce but an ebook? Get real.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1881 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Considering what I make off reading a good ebook or book, or video - $99 is a steal, especially when it is a limited release, with personal support. This means Vlad is making only $3,500 - and how many of us can make that in one show? Due to the size of the market, there is very little money to be made selling an ebook. Ebooks are made out of love for the art, and peer review, not profit.

Now if thousands, or millions were being sold, I would imagine the price would be less. . .

my 2¢

KC

BTW, I was so impressed with "Tres" I bought Vlad's other two ebooks. Too many gigs to read them now, but I imagine they will be great too.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
KC, respectfully, what money you make off a gig is irrelevant to the value of a mentalism ebook. I put it to you that it's your years of study, hard work and refining that pays your wages and not one particular ebook. Or... do you mean that you think you'll get more gigs/higher rate with this specific material in your act?
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1881 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Sean,

I understand your position, and disagree.

My years of studying what? ebooks, books, video, audio as well as myself. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Will I get more gigs at a higher rate? Possibly, definitely yes when you take the group of materials together. I am not just buying words, but years of experience (hopefully). If I can learn just one thing that will help my act from a $99 ebook, it is worth it.

As for ebook vs hard bound, I would rather have an ebook I can put on my phone and Kindle than a nicely bound book that will take up space on my shelf. It is a matter of taste, but now with Amazon printing and binding one book at a time, a bound book is not significantly harder to create than a ebook.

Now I am not saying all ebooks are worth what is charged, there is a lot of junk too. That is the price of admission to our club.

The cost of a piece of knowledge is in direct relation to the amount of work that was put into it, the amount sold, the availability of similar material, and what the market will bear. The work put into creating "Tres" - a lot. The amount sold - 35 (very few). The availability of similar material - low. The market - high, due to the nice incomes possible with performing.

If you look at other professions, this is very little. My wife is an attorney, and the amount of money she HAS to shell out for classes and materials is amazing. When it comes to cost/benefit analysis, my costs are very reasonable - and a lot more fun!

With Vlas's "Tres", the value is not just another trick, but a whole different mindset. It is opening me up to new ideas, not a new book test, so yes, for me it was well worth the $99. Let's say at a particular show I make $450 for 45 minutes - or $10 a minute. That means I make the same amount of money performing "Tres" once as I paid for the ebook. I will be performing this, so it is a very good deal.

With the amount of money I can get from one gig, a good tool for $99 is nothing. That being said, a new, struggling performer will find $99 cost prohibitive. I understand, I've been there.

Also, if the book does not provide you with any usable knowledge, it is worth nothing, less than nothing when you consider the time you wasted on it.

I try to decide with reviews as well as an author's reputation, and even then it is not a sure thing. With Vlad's "Tres" it was different. I don't know why, but I bought it on a gut instinct. Thankfully, it was a great purchase. Vlad is not yet well known, but his other books had good reviews, and his "completely propless" position intrigued me. I did not buy an ebook, I bought Vlad's blood, sweat and tears, his experience on a road I have not traveled. For all this, he is making very, very, little.

Holy cr@p I am long winded.

KC
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of backinblack
In short words: you pay for the content and that content gets his value due to the strengths of the performance that brings you the money.. Smile
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
236 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
KC,

I agree with everything you've said. Unfortunately, I have bought way too many products for much less that only end up occupying space on my shelf, or in the case of ebooks, my hard drive. I will undoubtedly be putting the time into perfecting "Tres," and I have not been this excited about a piece of mentalism in a long time. To me, Vlad's thoughts in this manuscript are well worth the price, and that wouldn't matter if they were in a bound book, an ebook, or in a carefully crafted text message.

Josh
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2859 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
When I was aked to do a review of Vladimir Zyuzin's new release, I immediately and happily volunteered since I already found his previous books surprisingly creative and inspirational.

Reading the blurb of TRES for the first time, I couldn't help but think of it as another pipe dream - a three-phase, completely propless routine wrapping around one of the classics in mentalism?

Phase 1: a spectator coming up on stage and taking a seat in a chair while making himself comfortable and open to the psychological nature of the routine that’s about to follow. The performer points his finger towards the back to the participant’s head while standing behind him. With the instruction of raising his hand at the exact moment he feels that the performer starts to raise his, the participant miraculously does exactly that.

Phase 2: the participant is asked to stand up with his eyes closed facing the performer, who does the same. As they stand facing each other, the performer and the participant make the exact same movement at the same time.

Phase 3: The performer stands next to the participant and asks him to close his eyes. The performer then mimics tapping the participant on his shoulder a few times. The participant opens his eyes, confirms that he felt a sensation, and also confirms how many times he felt it and on which shoulder. The performer’s hand was clearly away from the participant at all times!

Will this going to be another "be-bold-or-die" effect like the ones that have flooded the mentalism scene recently? Smile

Frankly, if I hadn't already known about the power of suggestion, muscle reading and psychology, I would have been sceptical.
But although I haven't been able to rehearse and practice enough to go out with this (due to the tight time frame for this review), I have no doubt Vlad has come up with a fascinating combination of principles here (e.g., a tiny sneaky method from one of his previous books made it into phases 1 and 3 - something very clever to use here again!)

With TRES, you will learn how to perform a pure and adaptable multi phase routine that looks as close to the real thing as possible!
Because - in a way - it is! Smile

Being a non-gimmicked version this relies only on "props" like audience selection, verbal instructions, psychology and the human body.
Doesn't that sound great? Smile

Of course, there are a few caveats, though.
First off, effects like this require a certain type of performer.
One has to be confident and convincing at the same time, has to have a (stage-) persona that would also withstand a failure if it comes to the worst.

Secondly, propless effects, especially those which mostly rely on psychology, are never 100% by nature.
That's perfectly fine by me, and I know that many performers are even appealed by this fact as it makes their work interesting and challenging for themselves, too.
In TRES, Vlad is covering that very aspect in an essay; he brings up the sophisticated point that propless effects - as paradox as this may sound - still are 'secure' in a way: they don't harm you as performer in case of a fail, as it would be the case with e.g. a flashing TT, a dead battery in your secret transmitter or an unmasked stooge.
That's something to think about, imho! Smile

Thirdly, just like hypnosis or muscle reading need a lot of practice, TRES is no exception to that requirement.
One has to be willing to invest dedication and rehearsal before achieving success with TRES.

All that being said, I do not believe this is hot air. Instead, it's a resourceful approach for the courageous performer and it really pleases my personal desire for plain, naked structures in mentalism. And it plays big.

Better still, the book presents enough aspects for the reader to choose only a fraction to start with and get comfortable.
Ballz of Steel don't grow over night, huh? Smile

Regarding the high price tag, it's hard to give a recommendation whether you should or should not go for it.
If you expect a failsafe out-to-perform miracle: please, look further!
If you don't trust in apparently simple psychological techniques: next, please!

On the other hand, those open to innovative methods for the sake of "pureness" will find a very inspiring read with clever methods woven into one other. This one is another competitor among great oeuvres like McLeod's "Force Be With You", Allan's "Raccordement" and of course Banachek's original "PK Touches"

Thanks to Vlad for his latest offering and best of success!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2015, KC Cameron wrote:
Sean,

I understand your position, and disagree.

My years of studying what? ebooks, books, video, audio as well as myself. No sense reinventing the wheel.

Will I get more gigs at a higher rate? Possibly, definitely yes when you take the group of materials together. I am not just buying words, but years of experience (hopefully). If I can learn just one thing that will help my act from a $99 ebook, it is worth it.

As for ebook vs hard bound, I would rather have an ebook I can put on my phone and Kindle than a nicely bound book that will take up space on my shelf. It is a matter of taste, but now with Amazon printing and binding one book at a time, a bound book is not significantly harder to create than a ebook.

Now I am not saying all ebooks are worth what is charged, there is a lot of junk too. That is the price of admission to our club.

The cost of a piece of knowledge is in direct relation to the amount of work that was put into it, the amount sold, the availability of similar material, and what the market will bear. The work put into creating "Tres" - a lot. The amount sold - 35 (very few). The availability of similar material - low. The market - high, due to the nice incomes possible with performing.

If you look at other professions, this is very little. My wife is an attorney, and the amount of money she HAS to shell out for classes and materials is amazing. When it comes to cost/benefit analysis, my costs are very reasonable - and a lot more fun!

With Vlas's "Tres", the value is not just another trick, but a whole different mindset. It is opening me up to new ideas, not a new book test, so yes, for me it was well worth the $99. Let's say at a particular show I make $450 for 45 minutes - or $10 a minute. That means I make the same amount of money performing "Tres" once as I paid for the ebook. I will be performing this, so it is a very good deal.

With the amount of money I can get from one gig, a good tool for $99 is nothing. That being said, a new, struggling performer will find $99 cost prohibitive. I understand, I've been there.

Also, if the book does not provide you with any usable knowledge, it is worth nothing, less than nothing when you consider the time you wasted on it.

I try to decide with reviews as well as an author's reputation, and even then it is not a sure thing. With Vlad's "Tres" it was different. I don't know why, but I bought it on a gut instinct. Thankfully, it was a great purchase. Vlad is not yet well known, but his other books had good reviews, and his "completely propless" position intrigued me. I did not buy an ebook, I bought Vlad's blood, sweat and tears, his experience on a road I have not traveled. For all this, he is making very, very, little.

Holy cr@p I am long winded.

KC

What I was trying to say, not very elegantly, is that it's YOU that adds value to your show and not any single effect. It was a compliment of sorts.
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Thanks for the reviews everybody. I appreciate all of the support more than you can ever imagine.

Sean,

I appreciate your input, however, I wholeheartedly disagree with your viewpoint. I've purchased some works from creative geniuses such as Jerome Finley and Peter Turner in the past that can be considered to be extremely expensive, especially when compared to other mentalism products on the market. However, time after time they've surpassed my expectations and every one of their works that I bought has been worth the high price tag. With a lot of the other (often cheaper priced) material, I've been extremely disappointed. In all honesty, I'd rather spend $300 on a product from Jerome Finley (knowing that most likely there will be at least one genius idea in there that I will use for the rest of my life) than spend $30 on an uninspired e-book that has been put together in a day. Now I'm not saying it's always better to spend more money on an e-book and neither am I saying that every low priced e-Book is not worth a purchase. The point that I'm making is that sometimes a high price tag means high value, which is what I've tried to accomplish with this e-Book.

If you properly practice the material inside, I believe you will have a miracle routine to use for the rest of your life. Not only that, I believe one of the methods (Method 2) that I provided for PK Touches is worth the price tag for the entire e-Book. In my opinion, it's a genius solution to the PK Touch effect and something I will certainly use for the rest of my life as the preferred method to that effect.

Of course, whether or not you find the same value that I do in this work will be entirely up to you. In the very least, however, I believe this e-Book should inspire others to think outside the box and experiment with some truly unique and modern tools of mentalism.

Kind regards,

-Vlad
"The Swan Song" is my last release to the mentalism community. Only a few copies remain!

"Unholy Grail" is now available! Features Perfected Day for Any Date, Ultimate PK Touches, Triple Drawing Duplication, and The Presence (my ghost effect)! Everything is 100% prop-less!

"Tres" LIMITED EDITION e-Book contains my signature "No Touches" PK Touches! Now SOLD OUT!

"Reverie" is for sale! Features extremely strong, 100% prop-less mentalism effects!

"Secret Files" is NOW AVAILABLE directly through me. Contains the EASIEST DAY FOR ANY DATE version!!!
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
You say that sometimes a high price tag means high value but I find that is rarely the case. Only good content means high value imho and it has little to do with how much money it costs.

Good luck anyway though. If people want to pay your prices then why not. It was just my opinion which I find fun to share sometimes!
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
It's funny that there are a lot of versions of PK Touches out there, but the original version of Banachek is still the best. We need new effects and plots, not new methods.
Psy
View Profile
Veteran user
302 Posts

Profile of Psy
Seethings, have you purchased Tres to make that claim?
OTTOEMEZZO
View Profile
Special user
544 Posts

Profile of OTTOEMEZZO
Thanks everyone for your interest. Obviously, everyone has their own opinion, but I truly believe that this is one of the best methods on the market for the PK Touches effect. I wouldn't release it if I didn't think it contributed something new to the mentalism community. Not to mention that this release is not just about PK Touches. It's a carefully structured routine that you can perform at any time with nothing on you. In my eyes, it's pretty hard to beat in terms of overall impact.

Kind regards,

-Vlad

dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2186 Posts

Profile of dmoses
I'll be interested to read more reviews.
I have and enjoyed Banachek's, Nu's, Finley's, Cloud's, Redford's, Taylor's and Manor's work… there's always room for more thinking.
I'm curious how Vlad's work fits within the genre.

best

dave
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2141 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
I am interested too: especially about this new method for PK

and the sequencing which clearly seems the juice here !!

Vlad: do you have a website or do we order by email ??
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » "Tres" by Vlad Zyuzin (38 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.34 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL