The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chris Philpott Penguin lecture (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2081 Posts

Profile of gabelson
I have no dog in this race, but I do know based on what I've been lucky enough to own of Chris' work, I am eagerly awaiting his Penguin lecture on Sunday. His "100 Monkeys" and "Babel" are brilliant, and as Banachek has said, they are rare works that stand on their own. Just speaking for myself, I look forward to this with great anticipation.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2839 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
This should be great based on his work I'm familiar with; The 100th Monkey, Babel, Intimate Mysteries and Incandescence. Plus Chris recently got in touch with me to ask permission to use one of my effects within a wonderful larger routine he'll be teaching which was very flattering. It is my kind of routine, and Chris seems such a nice guy so of course I agreed though the exact method will be kept secret out of respect to those who have purchased it.

I just read the description on Penguin and there are some interesting extras, incuding everything you need for One Monkey Ahead from Babel (one of my two favorites on the DVD, bringing a deviously fresh approach to the venerable one-ahead method and rife with possibilities), Your Darkest Fear ("a suspenseful homage to horror movies;" not familiar with this but given Chis's background and creative talent I'm looking forward to seeing what is all about), plus 3 other effects and 3 of his articles from Magic Magazine. All this is part of the download package so there seems like a lot of added value. One Monkey Ahead, with the needed graphics could sell for the price of the lecture and people would be getting their money's worth. I know, a cliche, but in this case it is accurate in my opinion.

The Open Door, from his book Intimate Mysteries is on the schedule too, and this represents an area where I feel Chris really shines in his perhaps less well known contributions to mentalism; the application of his skill and experience as a scriptwriter to powerful mentalism effects. He shares a style easily adaptable to all kinds of the work we do, empasizing the power of a good story, told in interaction with the participant for lack of a better way of putting it, to engage, deceive and surprise your audience. The kind of surprise that comes as a welcome twist at the end of a great tale, something rare in mentalism.

Given the controversy lately about lectures around here, ordinarily I'd be cautious to chime in ahead of time. But based on the quality and originality of Chris's body of work along with his other talents I'm more than willing to risk a STRONG recommendation to check this one out. And like Gabe I'm not racing any dogs either, I've simply been consistently impressed and really enjoy Chris's style.
Jeff Wassom
View Profile
Elite user
491 Posts

Profile of Jeff Wassom
Intimate Mysteries is wonderful. Planning on mastering Alvo Stockman's 'Singularity' so I can play with these wonderful frameworks (not a requirement, but fits conditions I require).

These are the types of routines people will remember for the rest of their lives which is unique because often people remember being astounded but forget exactly what took place probably because of their lack of involvement in determining the process. This is where Chris' work 'starts' from, so the relevance of say a pack of playing cards are built into a larger adventure.

Looking forward to the lecture too obviously! =)
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10627 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Chris will undoubtedly be superb - his innovative ideas are becoming legendary.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Thank you, Bill.

I know nothing of Chris's work, but based on your words, have purchased the lecture.

Tony
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2839 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Quote:
On Feb 21, 2015, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
Thank you, Bill.

I know nothing of Chris's work, but based on your words, have purchased the lecture.

Tony

NOW, I have a dog in this race, lol. I can't imagine you being disappointed, Tony, and thanks for the vote of confidence. Philpott, you best get out there and kick some magical A&&!
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I am really looking forward to this.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Me too Bobby, 100rh monkey is something I love using. I'm sure it will be a great lecture !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Ollie
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Ollie
How was the lecture?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I found Chris to be very likable.
His stories were interesting and I enjoyed his thought process.
His honesty about himself was also refreshing.

He promised quite a bit of additional download material for the lecture (to be added when he can), so he is also a generous person.

I did not know much about Chris going into this, just what I saw on an interview at a different magic site, so I had no expectations going into this one.

Tony
mr d
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mr d
Good effects? Workable?
hashtagmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of hashtagmagic
The effects were like Chris, honest and generous.
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Chris Philpott
Thanks for the nice comments guys! Here's a clip of one of my effects from the lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SofEHDMuni4 . Hope you enjoy it!
-Chris
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
542 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Maybe this is something for you, Chris.

The 101st monkey

Some see a blue and black dress, while others see a white with gold one.

Ask around, and you'll be surprised!

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/gold-white-......k-417932
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Fun effect, but poor poor penguin
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Hey DutchFrank -- yes, that dress reminded me of the 100th Monkey -- wheels turning...

Hey Blake -- I have a feeling the penguin will be just fine for Luca Volpe's lecture this Sunday. Smile
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Just my thoughts but this was one of my top lectures, and I've seen many... too many

In this there was some really clever thinking and some clever methods but it was the story telling and structuring part that most interested me. A fascinating idea and it really works, as demonstrated by the great pieces shown and taught during the lecture. There was just something more about the presentation than the usual things I see. They had intrigue, drama, suspense and even surprise (Freddie Kruger!). This is what happens when a movie screen writer after years of learning his trade, then turns the skills he's learned to magic and mentalism. This is the dude behind that wonderful AGT performance.

Really good stuff. This is such a bargain and one lecture that everyone should get... I can't imagine anyone being any less than happy with this and I highly recommend it Smile
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
BTW am I right in thinking there are some PDF's to be added to the download section on Penguin? ta
Chris Philpott
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Thank you, Sean! Yes, there are materials to be uploaded (a lot of them!) but I had a computer melt-down this week and am a little behind. They'll be up soon!

And though I did come up with the effect David and Leeman presented at their AGT audition and worked with them both before and during the taping, that very cool "pressure phrenology" presentation was all their own. I wish I could take credit for it though!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Well done, Chris. I really appreciate what you have brought to the art of mentalism. Keep up the good work!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Chris Philpott Penguin lecture (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL