The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What Trick To Do After Hindu Shuffle Force? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I know this may sound like an odd question. But remember that this is the "New to Magic" room:-P. I simply don't know enough to know what I don't know - or something like that. Anyway, I've been focusing more on coins than cards for the past few months, and an acquaintance (Facebook Friend) who is a magician said I should learn the Hindu Shuffle Force. Well, I've been working my way through Giobbi's works. I finished Introduction To Card Magic, and then I got his Card College 1. When my friend mentioned the HS force, I went to that section in CC1 and learned the shuffle first (of course), and then the force.

But I didn't realize that there was no actual trick here, but just how to know what card the spec picked. And if I were more experienced, I'm sure that the answer "well, just pick any method for revealing that you know what card the spec picked" would be helpful. But since I am still a newbie, I don't know the good ways of completing this. My gut says I should either just say "was your card the (fill in force card)?" Or just grab the card and show it and ask "is this your card?" But I don't know if that is appropriate or not.

Am I making any sense here?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Ken
Jason Simonds
View Profile
Loyal user
Pensacola, FL
269 Posts

Profile of Jason Simonds
Look into Chicago Opener. It's also known as Red Hot Momma.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8495 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Try reading some good books on card magic that teach effects/routines.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks Jason. I will. Harry - your book is next on my list:-).

Cheers!

Ken
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Never mind.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
The Card College series is structured to be studied in order. The course has been developed so it builds upon previously learned skills. To jump around in the books, especially Vol 1 & 2 is a mistake and significantly reduces the value of the series.

The Hindu Shuffle is introduced, along with its force in chapter 11, while the introduction to forces (with at least one trick using a force) is in Chapter 5. Also, chapter 11 does have a trick using the Hindu force, you just stopped reading too soon.

My advice would be to study CC 1&2 from start to finish, then expand you arsenal with Harrry's Best Ever 4-DVD set. Between those two resources you will have enough for a lifetime of card magic.

Hudson
Joey_Z
View Profile
New user
Wisconsin, USA
89 Posts

Profile of Joey_Z
You are asking a good question by looking for "what can I do besides tell them the card right away" (because that would obviously not be very entertaining). Reread the excellent presentation pointers in "Introduction to Card Magic" again and then reframe your question a little. Spend some time thinking about how you can build tension and mystery as well as what cool way you want to reveal the card...you have the paintbrush, but now you need the art...

Like the great suggestions above, use your resources...read the books and learn how others use their brushes.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8495 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Suggesting my "Best Ever" DVDs is fine, Hudson (I'm not going to knock my own stuff!), but he might be better off with books. (NOT NECESSARILY MINE, Mr. trollderoll KaBULLahh!! Although I do try to help with all my books - just as you do with all YOUR great contributions, which I'm having trouble finding, but we're all sure they're out there, somewhere.)
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks for the advice everyone! I think it was someone in The Workers room that recommended I go from CC1 to Harry. Well, I'm not going anywhere:). So I'll stay the course through CC2.

Cheers!

Ken
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I agree with Harry, and he has some of the best books.

To weigh in on the Hindu shuffle force, one of the problems is I'm guessing you don't actually shuffle cards using the Hindu Shuffle, and I bet no one you would be performing for would us it either.

So, I would suggest you get a new favorite force. Many find the classic force intimidating, but that is really one of, if not, the best. So, here's an idea:

Get one of Harry's books and find two good tricks involving a force and two good tricks involving a free choice. Then, always do a classic force. If they take your force card, then do one of your force tricks. If they don't get the force card, do one of your free selection tricks.

KJ
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Thanks KJ. the Hindu Shuffle Force is something I'm learning as part of a sort of group project with another magician (who I know through my medieval group [The SCA]) and is only sometimes hard to reach for questions:-P. So this one force may or may not be something I do at normal venues. But it's a bit of a special case. Anyway, thanks for reminding me of the Classic Force. When I didn't find it in CC1 yesterday, I thought it wasn't in there. Thank goodness I have the pdf of it so I could search it (LOVE pdf versions of books!). Giobbi put Force Techniques in 2 different chapters. And I didn't notice the "part 1":-P. Of course, the CF is in Force Techniques, Part 2."

Cheers!

Ken
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Whoa! I just noticed that the pdf version of CC1 does NOT have the Classic Force! The ACTUAL book, which I fortunately also have, goes all the way to Chapter 16. But the pdf stops at Chapter 13! That is weird. I'm so grateful that I actually have the print copy!

Ken
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3918 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Very good, Ken. The classic force is really just about practice and timing. Having said that, even professional magicians don't hit on the classic force. This is rare in a "formal" performance setting because participants usually don't want to be the one causing trouble and a pro magician will hold tight on all the cards but the force card and then move the deck so the force card meets their fingers. However, in many settings you may have someone request a different card. No problem, just do an effect that doesn't require a force.

I perform in a wide variety of setting, in many of which the classic force may not work. Because of this, I have thought out my routines so I don't paint myself into a corner. For example, if you take out an envelope with a sealed prediction and fail to force a card, what do you do next? If you have an audience of more than one, you simply force the card on the next person and do two effects in one.

As for the Hindu force with your friend, if it is well motivated, then by all means, it might be the right thing to do. For example, if you are dressed in medieval costumes, then a hindu shuffle and a hindu force might be more in line with the setting. I do some things that are very different from the way I would normally do things, either because they suit the effect or the situation.

Once you have mastered these two forces, you might want to learn a riffle force. That is probably one of the best forces you can use in a setting where you don't want to take too much time having someone select a card.

Have fun.

KJ
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
237 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
There are occasions when the Hindu force is the one to use. I use classic, mostly, riffle often and hindu when required. No one has ever questioned any of them.
Let the Entertainment Commence!
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
First of all, stop doing the Hindi Shuffle! It’s unnatural. It’s not how you’d normally handle the cards (just try teaching one of your spectators to do it!) and if that’s the only time you “shuffle” the cards that way, sooner or later someone’s going to bust you.

Learn a real force, even the cross-cut (done well) will fly under the radar better than the Hindu.
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
942 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Look into a classic called Red Hot Momma AKA The Chicago Opener.
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
Kuzushi
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Kuzushi
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, DWRackley wrote:
First of all, stop doing the Hindi Shuffle! It’s unnatural. It’s not how you’d normally handle the cards (just try teaching one of your spectators to do it!) and if that’s the only time you “shuffle” the cards that way, sooner or later someone’s going to bust you.

Learn a real force, even the cross-cut (done well) will fly under the radar better than the Hindu.

Truth.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:
On Mar 9, 2015, Kuzushi wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, DWRackley wrote:

Truth.

Balderdash!
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I like the Hindu shuffle, even the force. Only once had an issue with it ... and that was a mix of the spectator knowing it and my bad handling.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What Trick To Do After Hindu Shuffle Force? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL