The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Honeyberg (ACAAN) by Honey (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10701 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Zack,gotcha my bad
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
RichardAwesome
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of RichardAwesome
NOPE! My bad. I was referring to this http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4804

I thought that's what we were talking about. Now, after reading the ENTIRE thread I see I'm clearly, CLEARLY mistaken. My post was ill conceived and totally useless Embarrassing really.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8259 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I'm amazed that you purchased that effect with those reviews. Smile
RichardAwesome
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

I bought it before it had a single review. (also, I don't believe ANY of the Penguin reviews, as a general rule)

Which brings me to another question: Does anyone know of a reputable group or person that reviews releases? Unbiased and comprehensive? We need a Roger Ebert or Lester Bangs of magic reviews. I realize the inherent issue is you can't give too much away...but I've never been able to find one.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8259 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, RichardAwesome wrote:
I bought it before it had a single review. (also, I don't believe ANY of the Penguin reviews, as a general rule)

Which brings me to another question: Does anyone know of a reputable group or person that reviews releases? Unbiased and comprehensive? We need a Roger Ebert or Lester Bangs of magic reviews. I realize the inherent issue is you can't give too much away...but I've never been able to find one.

I believe Penguins reviews, that's one thing they do do correctly. It's Ellusionist that only post positive reviews, generally.
RichardAwesome
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Fair enough. I don't doubt they are legit. but they are user generated and never go into great depth. Who wrote it is important. Who do their interests reflect? Those are vital in criticism are they not? (Is this working magician, a sophomore in high school, creators best friend, same guy with 19 email addresses, etc...) Also if there isn't a reasonable sample size I don't know how useful they are. Also, I think you can review anything regardless of if you bought it from them.

My dream would be someone that breaks it down from all perspectives with the same proffesional integrity of a journalist. I need "Roger Ebert" not "Dan L."

It's probably not possible for many reasons.

"there's something I don't like about it, there's not much I can say without tipping the method, but don't waster your money" or "Unbelievable. Blew my audience away. You have to get this!" those aren't critiques or reviews. They are press junket blurbs. Know what I mean?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12060 Posts

Profile of John C
Reviews are tough to come to a conclusion. I've read horrible reviews on items I've downloaded and loved. Maybe the reviewer was an amateur and didn't understand how to handle and manage audiences or some other such skill required for a particular effect. Often a reviewer will simply read the directions or watch the DVD download and run to the computer to type in his/her thoughts.

Reading and analyzing reviews is a skill unto itself. The Café reviews are safer as WE who the players are.

Just sayin'

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I generally keep my negative opinions to myself, but if Penguin's review section were anonymous, I'd be more inclined to participate. I'm not proud of this, but I have knowingly refrained from posting my honest opinions on certain releases because I know it could upset the creators and their mentalism colleagues.
jaizon
View Profile
Inner circle
By time you read this I will have
1540 Posts

Profile of jaizon
Quote:
On Sep 28, 2015, Ben Blau wrote:
I generally keep my negative opinions to myself, but if Penguin's review section were anonymous, I'd be more inclined to participate. I'm not proud of this, but I have knowingly refrained from posting my honest opinions on certain releases because I know it could upset the creators and their mentalism colleagues.

I understand your concerns, Ben, but if you are honest and thoughtful, constructive criticism can not only help the creator, but potential buyers as well.

Preston
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1474 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
I know, and that's part of the reason I'm not proud of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Honeyberg (ACAAN) by Honey (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL