The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Handkerchief Routines? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
572 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
I do use a Handkerchief for one of my card trick. I don't like just putting a Handkerchief out and going straight into a routine. So I tell a story about a dog and chicken crossing the road. The chicken went first and got hit by a truck. The dog just happened to have a Handkerchief in his pocket. He rolled the chicken up in the Handkerchief and took him to the doctor. The doctor pulls on the ends of the Handkerchief saying this one looks like a foot, this a wing ect.
When the doctor pulls on the four ends on the Handkerchief at the same time. The Handkerchief turns into the shape of a chicken.  I have to say that I always get a big laugh at this point. I then use the Handkerchief for the card trick call; 

Point of Arrival  from the book Martin's Miracles, on page  17.

Emmett
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Larry Jenning's Coins and Handkerchief, Maxwell's The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, pp.107-112.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8964 Posts

Profile of funsway
Whenever I see a handkerchief and coins I think of "Birds of a Feather."

I learned this as a kid in Tarbell and have done it hundreds of times with some variations --

additional sleights as well as other objects like stones and candy.

It looks impromptu and is a great lead in to other effects
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, Bluesman wrote:
I do use a Handkerchief for one of my card trick. I don't like just putting a Handkerchief out and going straight into a routine. So I tell a story about a dog and chicken crossing the road. The chicken went first and got hit by a truck. The dog just happened to have a Handkerchief in his pocket. He rolled the chicken up in the Handkerchief and took him to the doctor. The doctor pulls on the ends of the Handkerchief saying this one looks like a foot, this a wing ect.
When the doctor pulls on the four ends on the Handkerchief at the same time. The Handkerchief turns into the shape of a chicken.  I have to say that I always get a big laugh at this point. I then use the Handkerchief for the card trick call; 

Point of Arrival  from the book Martin's Miracles, on page  17.

Emmett

Hi Emmett! Phil Willmarth, many years ago, gave me a copy of his lecture notes, It had the "chicken fold" that you mention. After all these years, you have given me an idea of how to use it! Thanks!

"This" suggestion is, I think, one of the delights of the Café. --We can have an "electronic session"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Larry Jenning's Coins and Handkerchief, Maxwell's The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings, pp.107-112.

Hey Kabbalah! "Youse" just joined the "Thousand Club"! Thanks for the reference. I already have a handkerchief, and I think I have a few coins "somewhere". I "love it" when I can get one more use out of the same prop(s)!

The old "tent rep. shows" always put in their ads in Billboard: Prefer those who can "double in 'b & o"!
Bluesman
View Profile
Special user
Florida
572 Posts

Profile of Bluesman
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hi Emmett! Phil Willmarth, many years ago, gave me a copy of his lecture notes, It had the "chicken fold" that you mention. After all these years, you have given me an idea of how to use it! Thanks!

"This" suggestion is, I think, one of the delights of the Café. --We can have an "electronic session"!

You're welcome Dick, 
I found out that it's better with a nice cloth restaurant napkin for close up work. But if you're doing platform or stage work use a bath towel. The audience can see it better. Also I found that the chicken looks better if you let go of the bottom legs. 
You will get big laughs with this gag. And  people will come up to you to learn how to do it. 
Have fun with it.

Emmett
Bill Mullins
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Bill Mullins
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
I helped (in a small way)to get the Gardner Encyclopedia,published.

Is there a story behind this? I'd like to hear it.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2015, David Neighbors wrote:
I have always Had good luck with Hank Work! I Have some Coin assembly's Using A Hank. And a And A silver-Brass Tranpo In A hank Called "thanks To Kapps" That starts with a great Tranpo By Fred Kapps. And ends up with a production of two five in. Coins !

I just skimmed through this thread again...David! HOW do you spend those 5 inch coins in a machine???
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 11, 2015, Bill Mullins wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
I helped (in a small way)to get the Gardner Encyclopedia,published.

Is there a story behind this? I'd like to hear it.

Hi Bill! I just glanced at the "header" on this thread. A few new names had been added, so, I thought I should take a look.....

I've written up, I think, the "Encyclopedia" anecdote before, but, I'm so proud (!!!) of my small contribution, that I'll write it up again for the "current generation"! (hee hee)

Martin had sent the manuscript for the book to Frances to have it published. Fran was the busiest lady in Magic Inc. She had been the "first lady" when it was IRELAND's, When Fran and Jay moved out of the loop (in Chicago) to the north side, she became BUSIER! Not only did she do most of the sewing (egg bags, devil hanks, ETC.) she also typed (on a now "extinct" electrisch peckenclacker) not only the instruction sheets, but, also, whatever manuscript was going to be published. PLUS, she answered all the mail, AND, wrote a monthly column in Linking Ring. She also cooked a delicious dinner every evening. (For breakfast and lunch, Jay, and, whoever was the current Charlie Miller Suite guest, had to wait upon tbemselves!)

BTW, I THINK that Charlie and I held the record for long time "guests"!

So, Fran received a letter from Martin: "When are you going to publish it???" In her "spare time", she had already typed most of it in a format to fit in a 9" x 6" (+/-)book. For some reason, Martin, (I think) but, it may have been Jay, thought it would be better in an 8 1/2" x 11" size volume. (Remember, this was before computers and desk top publishing!)

Fran said, "I'll have to retype the whole thing!" We were discussing this at dinner, and, I said, "That would take another month or three! This kind of book would be much better if printed in the narrower format that you have typed it in, which would allow a very wide margin. This wide margin would allow readers enough space to pencil in, cross references to other sources like "PHOENIX", "HUGARD'S MONTHLY, etc. Readers wouldn't need to write in TINY notes!

Jay smiled and nodded. I think he said, "Dick! You have just paid "the rent"! A few months later, Fran asked me to write up some material for "Kid Stuff Five". KS5 was to be the "big" one of the KS series.

Earlier editions of the KS series had dealt mostly with birthday party shows. KS5 was to be devoted to school assembly programs, and since I was the "resident" school showman, I was "elected"! Fran had become successful because she was smart enough to "know and use her resources"!

Many old friends of Jay, Fran, and myself, contributed ideas, tricks, and routines. I did a bit of editing, and contributed programs of many old timers whom I had seen. Also, I added a list of the current school booking managers. I also wrote an article about life on the road, and made some suggestions to anyone who might be considering "hitting the road".

Fran signed my complimentary copy: "To Dick! There would never have been a 'Kid Show Five' without you"! (Good for my ego!) When she wrote up the ad for the magazines, she listed all of the contributors, except ME!!! I had been so "close" to the project, that she forgot!

So, Bill! As Paul Harvey usta say: "Now, you know the rest of the story!"

I had a very small part in the "SUCCESS BOOK, VOL. II, also. Inc. published the complete prop list, and script for "The Puzzling Environment". The "TPE" was a program that I wrote and presented for North Dakota State University's Lyceum department. I toured with it in the season of 1971-72. If I remember, I did 330 programs. (The "beginning of Environmental Awareness) It was written to create an awareness, and foster a concern. It had to "reach" students from Kindergarten through Senior High School. MANY of the schools in the Dakotas, Iowa,Nebraska, and,Montana,are/were, K-12 schools. I used magic as the visual aid As far as I know, it was the first time that anyone had published a complete educational program like this. It was a success, and Fran published another "SUCCESS".

So, as the Hollywood ACTOR said to another actor, after a conversation about the first ACTOR'S recent picture: "Well, that's enough about ME! Let's talk about you! What do YOU think of MY next picture?"

Yr's, 'til the season is over!

Dick
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
I have been known to do the Thief of juddpah (I think that is how it is spelled) This is a very simple thing that gets good reactions. Its a pretty commonly known trick but none the less is quite good.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1846 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jarrow's Hanky Panky, from the Stars of Magic, is a great effect using a handkerchief, although it also uses a lit cigarette, which, today, limits the venues where it can be performed. I've performed it for 45 years, and it always gets a great reaction. It is performed on Johnny Thompson's Classic Magic DVDs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Handkerchief Routines? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL