The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Transmission - Jonathan Pickard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I did a search but didn't see any threads for this. I'm surprised (and I think I remember reading and posting on a thread. Maybe my searching skills are just terrible.)

This looks and sounds great. I would love to know if anyone has this and what they think of it.

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/transmission-......ard.html

The ad copy reads:

"The audience is suddenly mystified by a random spectator's ability to read others' minds. More bizarre is the fact that even the spectator can't see how it's possible!

Hesitantly this mind-reading spectator correctly identifies the colour, suit and finally value of a playing card openly chosen by an audience member moments before. The mind-reader genuinely doesn’t know the identity of the chosen card until they name it! At no point do they see the selected card, no covert signalling takes place and the effect works every time!

It can be stressed that this mind-reading spectator has never met you before and that nothing has been set up. The spectator genuinely doesn’t know the identity of the chosen card until they name it! At no point do they see the selected card and the effect works every time!

Impromptu and innovative, Transmission Remastered builds upon the strengths and principles of Jonathan Pickard's internationally acclaimed original routine to create an iconic and practical mentalism piece that will astound audiences whether performed on stage or close-up.

Works with any chosen card
Instantly repeatable for one or more audience members
Features updated adaptation of original Transmission routine
Plus brand-new routine specifically developed for close-up"
toneill
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of toneill
Can anyone help out by sharing some thoughts on this? The effect is not new, but as mentioned above, I can't find any information aside from the ad copy.

I'd love to hear thoughts from anyone using this.

Thanks,
Ted
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1274 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I've been interested in this for ages! Can't believe I've never heard even a single comment on it.
350zTT
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of 350zTT
I have been interested in this for a while too....that an his updated version of Ambideckstrous, which I have heard is great! I may take the plunge for both!
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2017, 350zTT wrote:
I have been interested in this for a while too....that an his updated version of Ambideckstrous, which I have heard is great! I may take the plunge for both!

I would love to read your review to both if you decide to purchase 👍🏼
music
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of music
Very interesting!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4483 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, this was very intriguing to me as well so I ordered from Magicbox and will post my thoughts when I receive it. Though, living in the states I probably won't receive it for approximately 2 weeks.

RNK
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
I wrote to Magic Box asking if the effect entailed the use of an ins**** st****. I'll post if I receive a reply. When I first read their blurb, I was convinced that it was ruled out by the following language: "even the spectator can't see how it's possible". Maybe you reached the same conclusion. But after some thought, I realized that a strained (i.e., magic dealer's) interpretation of the blurb would, indeed, leave enough wriggle room to allow for the use of an ins**** st****.

If that's what it is, the effect isn't for me.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7137 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You're a very brave man imo RNK. I hope your act of valour is worth it.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4483 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2017, pegasus wrote:
You're a very brave man imo RNK. I hope your act of valour is worth it.

Yes. I agree. I must say it was sort of an Impulse Buy. I always wanted to get that ambideckstrous by Pickard so I picked this up as well. I'll let you know!
Jonathan1000
View Profile
Regular user
172 Posts

Profile of Jonathan1000
Further to my post above, Magic Box replied to my question, saying the effect was BOTH ins**** st**** and DR. I think I understand how they reached that conclusion (though I'd guess it's not entirely accurate). Sorry, but any further discussion would stray too far into (possible) disclosure. As a reminder: I don't own this effect and the opinions I've expressed are entirely conjecture.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals." -- Homer Simpson
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
I have this, never used... asked Jonathan for a performance video to understand better how he puts it all together but got nothing.

I cannot fully understand how this would work... the edited trailer make this look good.

Hope anyone here get a better experience and review than mine.

Cheers
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7137 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2017, Lseeyou wrote:
I have this, never used... asked Jonathan for a performance video to understand better how he puts it all together but got nothing.

I cannot fully understand how this would work... the edited trailer make this look good.

Hope anyone here get a better experience and review than mine.

Cheers

This short review will fill RNK with confidence, I'm sure.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4483 Posts

Profile of RNK
Well, I finally got my package. What you get is an 18 page pamphlet and three special cards. First let me say that a stooge is not used. I will say that DR is used but it's a very clever DR in which case I do not think the two participants will suspect anything. 2 of the cards are used for the close-up routine called MIND FLOURISH and the third card is used for the routine called TELEMENTAL which is used when performing for larger audiences. In the close-up routine the spectators and audience are aware that the 2 chosen participants are initially looking at a special card that is a drawing of a simple flower with some additional basic graphics. The mind-reader participant is handed the simple flower card and is told to study it so to be able to recall information from it in a little bit when the mind reading process begins. While he/she is studying the card the other participant selects or writes down a thought of card (any card). You now hand the special card(simple flower card) the mind-reader was studying to the participant who selected or wrote down a thought of card. And the process begins. You ask the participant who selected the card questions about their selected/thought of card that relates to the simple flower card. Nothing is spoken out loud as the participant is only to answer in his head. You then ask the mind-reader a question and to recall the information he/she remembers from the flower card to help answer it. You do this three times until the spectator divines the color, suit, and value of the participants selected/thought of card.

Now, there is a few methods combined to make this all happen. I actually like this and I was never a big fan of DR. One negative for this is that in both routines the mind reader participant has time to study the card but later has to recall the information from the card by memory. This may be a problem for some people. Though there is not a ton of information on the simple flower card and it's pretty simple, I think it still may happen that the mind reader participant possibly may not remember something from the special card (simple flower card). And it is pretty imperative that they are able to recall things from the simple flower card in order to divine the other participants card.

That's all I can really say without exposing the method(s) used. I do really like the concept and routine. I will give this a try. It is a bold routine as Jonathan states but I can see strong potential for this if you chose the right spectator who has a good memory.

In the larger audience performance TELEMENTAL, the one card used by the mind reader participant looks like a bicycle playing card but is not. (Actually, all three cards have the bicycle back design.) And that participant through your patter when they "select" that card is supposed to play along that it's not different. I can see how some may come to the stooge conclusion given those conditions. But at the end of the routine with a successful outcome, I believe it will play very strong with everybody including the mind-reader participant playing along. In TELEMENTAL the routine uses four people, one mind reader who divines three participants selected/thought of card.

I did the best I can describing everything trying not expose to much.

RNK
toneill
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of toneill
RNK - Thanks for taking a chance on this and providing an excellent review!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4483 Posts

Profile of RNK
Most welcome! I am actually kind of excited to try this out!

RNK
RC
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of RC
Hi everyone, just wanted to let you know that I published a MAGIC BOOK with the help and permission of Dr. Jonathan Pickard. The main effect, "Mental Picture," is based off of Transmission but differs a little bit in presentation and props. I've always been a fan of the idea of a volunteer doing the mind reading without knowing how they were accomplishing it. Blog with more details, video trailer, and Amazon link here: https://www.oldmarketmagician.com/post/m......chandler

This is my first official release for the magic community. A lot of time, effort, and field testing (over 10 years) went into this. For those interested, I hope you enjoy it. : )
minderX
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
218 Posts

Profile of minderX
If someone is interested.

I have one of the original Transmission by Jonathan Pickard unused. I bought one years ago and get one as a gift. Please PM me
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Transmission - Jonathan Pickard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL