The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hollywood Hypocricy? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Star bucks.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I just really liked the line that said, their gift bags cost more than they pay their maids, their drivers, their leaf blowers, their hookers combined.

That kinda says it all, doesn't it?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, rockwall wrote:

I just really liked the line that said, their gift bags cost more than they pay their maids, their drivers, their leaf blowers, their hookers combined.

That kinda says it all, doesn't it?

How so? I imagine most of the recipients already own much of what is in the gift bags, and probably end up re-gifting them. Quite possibly to their maids and drivers, etc.

In any case, the true value of the gift bags is inflated. "Most off-beat of all is a $25,000 gift certificate for the services of Olessia Kantor, founder of a company called Enigma Life, who will meet each nominee 'to discuss their 2015 horoscope, analyze dreams and teach them mind control technique.'"

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/23/......suction/

Also, apparently the Academy is not the organization giving the gift bags. An unrelated private marketing company now does so.

"The Academy voted to discontinue the practice of giving goodie bags in 2006, the same year that the IRS began showing an interest. Now they are provided by an unaffiliated company, Distinctive Assets, which says it has 'spearheaded the proliferation of award show swag.' Lash Fary, founder of Distinctive Assets, said: 'We aren't doing this as a charitable initiative. We do it because it makes sense for many brands to align their products with the stars. Brands benefit by associating with celebrities.'"

Anyway, sure, the gift bags are amusing.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
You really think they're re-gifting the $25,000 gift certificate to their maids so that their maids can discuss thier 2015 horoscope, analyze their dreams and teach them mind control techniques??? Smile

If I was a celebrity, I'd be worried that my maid will come to work one day and start using mind control techniques on me to pay her more!
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I guess I was making two separate points. First, some of the items in the baskets are ridiculously over valued. Second, some of the useful items will be regifted.

But you do raise a valid concern, from the actors' point of view.

Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
You really think they're re-gifting the $25,000 gift certificate to their maids so that their maids can discuss thier 2015 horoscope, analyze their dreams and teach them mind control techniques??? Smile

You don't believe in trickle down anymore?
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:

You don't believe in trickle down anymore?

Not from a Hollywood liberal anyway.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The laws of Reaganism are immutable!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
So who are the specific owners of these companies and where is it shown that they are conservative? Just curious.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2015, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 23, 2015, balducci wrote:
I think Hollywood is controlled by multinational corporations and conservatives. I think those are the entities who run the Oscars.

The actors may (may!) be liberals (for the most part), but they are only the employees.

Don't confuse the two.

If Hollywood is controlled by conservatives, why are actors deathly afraid of angering those in charge by espousing conservative viewpoints?

I think it's more about angering the liberals on social media. One could be quickly labelled as a racist or bigot in no time flat for having a "different" opinion.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
One could be quickly labelled as a racist or bigot in no time flat for having a "different" opinion.

I suppose so, if "different" means racist or bigoted.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
They are all controlled by the Bankers Super Entity

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2......rything/
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2015, landmark wrote:
Quote:
One could be quickly labelled as a racist or bigot in no time flat for having a "different" opinion.

I suppose so, if "different" means racist or bigoted.

Nooooooo
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The premise of the thread is hilarious. When entertainers put on a broadcast to talk about how awesome they are, what do you expect?

Award shows are revolting displays of Narcissistic self-congratulation, mobilized as advertisement. Every time you watch an award show, a tiny bit of your soul shrivels up and blows away.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I agree with much of what you say but I'm not sure why that makes the premise of the thread hilarious.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 25, 2015, rockwall wrote:
I agree with much of what you say but I'm not sure why that makes the premise of the thread hilarious.

The whole show is a hypocritical sham. It is nothing but lies, sham and contempt for the public.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The premise of the thread is hilarious. When entertainers put on a broadcast to talk about how awesome they are, what do you expect?

Award shows are revolting displays of Narcissistic self-congratulation, mobilized as advertisement. Every time you watch an award show, a tiny bit of your soul shrivels up and blows away.

I'm clearly biased because I work in the industry, but I'm curious if you feel this way about awards shows that aren't industry related? A sales organization celebrating the milestones of its workers, for instance. Or the Academy of Magical Arts' annual awards show. Are those narcissistic as well?
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
And the winner of this year’s ass kissing contest is ....

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 25, 2015, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

I'm clearly biased because I work in the industry, but I'm curious if you feel this way about awards shows that aren't industry related? A sales organization celebrating the milestones of its workers, for instance. Or the Academy of Magical Arts' annual awards show. Are those narcissistic as well?

Depends on the participants' relationship to the outcome. Televised awards are thinly disguised commercials, and are peppered with self-aggrandizement. I dislike most school and industry awards, but for completely different reasons.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Hollywood. The way people go about it, why anyone would think it was real.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hollywood Hypocricy? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL