The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Seamless Harness Ring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
Anybody know where I can get a seamless 3 inch steel harness ring like the one Daryl uses from Buenos Aires or wherever he said he got his?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Do you really believe everything about a patter story while a magician performs a trick.

Terry Seabrooke calls his linking rings, Elephant Rings. Do you really think they are.

Magic Inc. sold a trick called So-ho, I think it was called. It came with a 6" and 3" ring. He may have been using this ring. They are about a quarter inch in dia metal.

I have never seen Daryl's ring. And I have never seen a harness ring without a seam weld.

Bill
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Macruz,

Can't tell where you post from, but around here, the place to go for solid metal seamless rings of all makes and sizes is a marine parts supply store. I don't know what the actual use is, but they are wonderful for magic. You might try one such store near you (they sell rope of all makes, bilges, really strong velcro--this is great for stage guys--and assorted other magic in the making.) or, look for something like this online.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Sk8rDave
View Profile
Regular user
California
189 Posts

Profile of Sk8rDave
Curtis thanks for the tip.

James George used to have these beautiful 3 inch seamless brass rings which he told me came from the bathroom section of a hardware store. He said that they were shower curtain or towel rings. That was about 5 years ago and since then I've looked for those rings in every hardware or bathroom store I've been to and never found them.

However, I do know where a boat store is nearby and I'll go see what I can find there.

Dave
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Out local Ace hardware store has brass rings in many sizes.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I bought mine here:

http://www.mcmastercarr.com

Go to search and type in steel ring, and look at
part #3564T17.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
You need to find a tack shop. We bought seamless brass rings there in various sizes.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Kingry is right but they may not call them tack shops where you are. Go to any farm supply store and ask for "bridal rings" or "harness rings" and they will have them.

For city dwellers, a tack shop is where you get supplies for raising or riding horses.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Go to a good hardware store and ask to see the "welded stainless steel rings." They are often stocked in a variety of sizes and alloys.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
With welded rings you can usually still see the weld unless it is really well made, however, the brass type I believe are manufactured solidly. So natuarally they are seamless and much stronger, It took me a long time to find one but they do have them in some hardware stores
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
"I have never seen Daryl's ring."
------------------------------------

ROFL...
Wait till he picks up hes towel, then you might b in for a treat.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2004-02-09 05:34, Paddy wrote:
Kingry is right but they may not call them tack shops where you are. Go to any farm supply store and ask for "bridal rings" or "harness rings" and they will have them.

For city dwellers, a tack shop is where you get supplies for raising or riding horses.

Peter

Actually, you want a "bridle" ring, not a "bridal" ring. Those bridal rings will cut off your circulation. Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Well, that one made my day...

OHO is the Okito ring and rope/silk effects sold by Magic Inc., and it has a 4" and a 6" ring to the set (at least they used to) if that's any help...and the OHO effect is pretty visually astounding in itself, and well worth the purchase.

thanks for the Marine Supplies store tip...I am constantly surprised at the value of this forum.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Actually, I find the rings with a visible seam useful.

Part of my routine has the ring stretched out between two specs, and looped around opposing sides of the ring. I then give the ring a good spin. Then snatch it off.

I think this is called the "Hindu Release".

I used to goof up when I snatched the little guy off the string. Now, I use the seam as a point of reference when I loop the string on, and have no more problems.

:magicrabbit:
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Other place where you could find nice rings is in horse things...erm...I don't know how it is called in english. Places where they sell saddles and things that have to do with horses.

I think though that a seamless ring, that size is non-existent outside the magic world. It has to be welded very well and then polished. I wouldn't know why one should do that in the normal world. It probably is easier to get a wooden or plastic ring.

I do have a 4 inch chromed and seamless ring. But I bought it from an english dealer at the blackpool convention and it costed a whopping 35 $!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
I got a nice seamless 3" brass ring from Tractor Supply Co. I don't remember the exact cost $3.00 I think.
ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Seamless Harness Ring (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL