The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Boxing fans--I need advice (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The man in question - whom I had the pleasure of meeting - is very knowledgable about the history of boxing. Not just a fighter, but a thoughtful and interesting man now that he has matured.

He is a big fan of Jack Dempsey. So google Jack, and you won't go too far wrong. Ask him about the 'long count' and how there may have been another long count in his own fight with Buster Douglas. I would be interested in his answer.

He is a mild enough man, and should be an easy interview.

I once interviewed heavyweight contender Gerry Cooney, and he didn't like the subsequent article. Ten years later I had the chance to spar a round with him. I thought he'd never know I was the same guy. At the end of the round he flattened me, then whispered: I remember. We had a laugh about it afterwards.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Look up Cus D'Amato, then ask your subject what Cus meant to him. And how different his career, and life, might have been had Cus not died when he did.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Thanks, all. I'm taking notes.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Grrr--looks like it's not going to happen.

Mr. T and another boxer whose name you would recognize--EH--are the subjects of a new documentary film. They will be in NYC to promote it, and the PR guy said they would be available for interviews. Turns out now they don't want to do them. So, I'll get to see an advance screening of the film, but no interview.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Why so coy about the other boxer's name?

FWIW, I see a documentary about a certain famous Brooklyn boxer has been in the works since at least 2012 ... its existence seems to be public knowledge, but I'll refrain from mentioning it right now.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
They haven't started their publicity campaign yet, and it's considered bad form not to wait for them, if I'm going to do a review.

In my autobiography this episode will go down as the time two famous pro-boxers were too intimidated to go face-to-face with me. Slim's publicity people have billed me as THE MAN THEY REFUSED TO FIGHT AT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
A shame you did not get to do the interview. It would have been fun. But it might happen again at some other time.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2015, landmark wrote:
Grrr--looks like it's not going to happen.

Mr. T and another boxer whose name you would recognize--EH--are the subjects of a new documentary film. They will be in NYC to promote it, and the PR guy said they would be available for interviews. Turns out now they don't want to do them. So, I'll get to see an advance screening of the film, but no interview.

Ok, I can figure out who Mr T and EH are. But who is this PR guy? I can't think of a boxer from that area with those initials.
Smile
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
He won't fight me either!!! PHONIES!!!!!!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
EH must be Canadian.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
LOL.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Boxing fans--I need advice (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL