The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rick Lax: The Laptop Lecture (aka 'The 20-Trick Lecture') (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2015, Steve Suss wrote:
Fantastic lecture! They're all great tricks. Depending on the type of magic and venues you perform at you will get many great ideas. I love the cutting of the aces and can't wait to get started learning it and trying it out.It goes perfectly with some other ace effects I presently do. I'm quickly becoming a Rick Lax fan. Good work Rick!
Steve

Thanks Steve!
tgaffney
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of tgaffney
A BUNCH of great tricks, ideas ,insights into creativity,
inventing your own tricks (mashups) and improving presentation.

Some of the "throw aways" are fantastic!

Rick -
Will you point me in the right direction for the Kleenex
origami?

Keep up the great work
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Origamagic Crane is available at http://www.mymagic.com/more.htm (scroll 1/3 page down). Great effect, and Rick's presentation is fun and has built-in misdirection.

Another link: http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......_id/1473

And the jumbo version:

http://www.seomagic-usa.com/catalog/prod......_id/1588
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I've spent today watching this marvellous collection of bits and tricks.

Worth every penny. Love the impromptu tie tricks.

I highly recommend you buy this and 'relax with Lax' on Sunday.

Rick is a great contributor to the MagicCafe and we're lucky to have him around here.

Nice one Rick. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Absolutely agree! Don't forget your chips while you dip in to those innovative touches and clever ideas. Rick'n Roll baybees!
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Lots of great ideas in this download. Looking forward to the second viewing, this time while taking notes. The Lax Cut and the hand to hand transpo of the coin/poker chip are great moves to work on, and nice quick effects in their own right, but I think my fave is the bite-out and restored card. That one is a visual tour-de-force.

In the bonus material, I admire Rick's courage and honesty while discussing his relatively meager (so far) experience performing for strangers, and especially his frank and objective self-review of two of his live performances. It's actually quite helpful to hear someone else review their own live performance. Wish more videos included this kind of thing.

Question for Rick: is there a chance that the shrinking/cloning effect (trick #1) can damage the microwave? I noticed that when you did it there was a bright spark and a loud pop, which until now I'd understood meant that bad things were happening to the machine due to a lack of water molecules in the cooking area.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I was thinking the same thing about possible damage to the microwave. I know aluminum should never be put in a microwave.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
No, the microwave will not be damaged by operating it with these snack containers inside. A quick search brought up these links-

“Microwave heating of food packaged in aluminium foiltrays or in plastic containers with aluminium foil or aluminium laminated lidsis perfectly viable.”
http://www.alufoil.org/alufoil-and-microwave-ovens.html

"...most chip bags are made from aluminum laminated with polypropylene, also known as metalized polypropylene, or low-density polyethylene film. This basically means it’s a hot plastic and aluminum hybrid mess."
http://www.greenphillyblog.com/recycle/recycle-chip-bags/
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
The microwave trick does no harm to the microwave.

Regards,
Mike
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Lots of great ideas in this download. Looking forward to the second viewing, this time while taking notes. The Lax Cut and the hand to hand transpo of the coin/poker chip are great moves to work on, and nice quick effects in their own right, but I think my fave is the bite-out and restored card. That one is a visual tour-de-force.

In the bonus material, I admire Rick's courage and honesty while discussing his relatively meager (so far) experience performing for strangers, and especially his frank and objective self-review of two of his live performances. It's actually quite helpful to hear someone else review their own live performance. Wish more videos included this kind of thing.

Question for Rick: is there a chance that the shrinking/cloning effect (trick #1) can damage the microwave? I noticed that when you did it there was a bright spark and a loud pop, which until now I'd understood meant that bad things were happening to the machine due to a lack of water molecules in the cooking area.

The biggest danger with the microwave trick is picking up the shrunk/cloned material too quickly, while it's still hot.

Also, I've never kept the material in the microwave for a long period of time, and like I say in the lecture, it will activate after about 5 seconds, and right when it does, you open up the microwave and you should be good to go. Smile
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I've spent today watching this marvellous collection of bits and tricks.

Worth every penny. Love the impromptu tie tricks.

I highly recommend you buy this and 'relax with Lax' on Sunday.

Rick is a great contributor to the MagicCafe and we're lucky to have him around here.

Nice one Rick. Smile

Thanks so much Jamie!
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
Rick what are the steampunk looking gauges on the counter behind you during the lecture?
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2015, colinj wrote:
Rick what are the steampunk looking gauges on the counter behind you during the lecture?

Oh man...gonna be so much less cool once I tell you: They're clock people I got on the discount rack at Pier One like 5 years ago. :/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Rick Lax: The Laptop Lecture (aka 'The 20-Trick Lecture') (32 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL