The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » ILLUSION COMBINATION (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Hello dear friends,

I have the Ring cage illusion (girl comes out and in the cage of parallel rings attached to a pole) and the Bsmberg Sack escape ( girl escapes a sack).

For those of you who have done or understand these illusions I would like to ask:

What are your thoughts about having both illusions in the same show? Which one first? What are your general thoughts about comparing both effects from audience PoV.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

S
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Hi Soleil,

Please don't chase me, 'cause I don't own any of those two illusions, but I could give you my logical audience point of view.

Both apparatus are used to demonstrate an escape or a solid through solid effect. At least, that's what the audience sees... So I would suggest using the Ring Cage Illusion only since metal is more impressif as a solid material then a simple sack made out of tissu.

For this reason I wouldn't put both effects into the same show. Another suggestion would be to try to combine both of these effects making the Ring Cage Illusion more difficult for the escape artist... What do you think of this ?

If you really would like to keep both effects in the show, do the Sack Illusion first and the Ring Cage Illusion later in the show. Remember, speed makes those effects more impressif.

Hope I helped you at least a little bit.

Oliver.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Very good points Oliver, thank you.

You confirm my thoughts.

It will be better for me to keep both illusions in the show. I think I will separate themas much as possible so audience will have the time to "forget" they a so similar.

If you guys have more ideas as how to present right similar illusions in the same show, please feel free to share them as many other will benefit from this interesting conversation here on the MC.

Thank you
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
Quote:
I think I will separate themas much as possible so audience will have the time to "forget" they a so similar.

So you are going to do a very, very, very long show? ;-)

If you really want to keep them both in your show I would try to think what else you can do with the two pieces? Try to rethink the effects in different ways: Change the protagonist (you / your assistant), turn it around (make someone appear in the sack instead of escaping), think about interesting and different plots for both illusions or whatever ... After all this is the most important question for me: What is the plot of every single illusion? If the plot is very different it will not matter that the effect is similar.

Cheers,
Ingo
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
I have to agree with Ingo.

Try to use the object in a different way and change the presentation, so the plot changes and the audience impression aswell. Ingo's idea of making someone else appear in the sack is an excellent suggestion, but don"t forget, make it simpe, so the audience won't get too much confused. The simplest plots and stories are the bests.

Oliver.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Funny, I remember in The Magic Show Dpug Henning did three illusions that might have all seemed similar to the audience, sawing in half, quartered lady, and zig zag.
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of soleil
Hi Ingo, good ideas.
For this particular contract I will have to work the show all to music and without speaking. Very difficult to develop an illusion's plot this way.
As for the Bamberg sack escape I think it's not possible to do an appearance with this method.
Anyway, I will continue to look for new approaches in this somehow weird show format.

I think Hans Klok is the king of performing many similar illusions in the same show. Just check out his Vegas show on YouTube. Smile
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
A good silent act/act to music has also (always) a plot. Every good piece of magic has a plot. The question is: what is your magic about? To communicate your plot you do not need a word. Think of dancers or all those silent acts that communicate their plots through acting. Mime, gesture, costume, even the music you chose affects your plot (or the other way round).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » ILLUSION COMBINATION (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL