We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Docc Hilford’s "Weerd!" and "It’s even weerder close up” (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
About Docc Hilford’s early stuff, could anybody tell me if his Flora video “It’s even weerder close up” contains the same effects of the 2 audio tapes “Weerd”?
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
The effects contained on the video are different from those on the audio tapes. I personally feel that "It’s even weerder close up" is one of the best of Docc's Bizarre Magick Videos. Note, the quality of the video production is not that great, but the material presented is.

Hope this helps,
Dave
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Thanks StrangeMagick, will get them. I got several videos from Flora Magic, the video production has never been good and the prices are always extremely high. However, I only care about the contents...

By the way Stangemagick: do you have by any chance the “Weerdist on Stage” set? It is rather expensive (100$) and I was wondering if some of the material could be applied in close up settings. Thanks again
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Highmagic

I do have the video set of "Weerdest on Stage". It's been about 6 years since I've watched them, but each one, if I remember correctly, has 2 effects on the tape. I think the material on the close up video is a lot stronger. In my opinion, the stage effects are good ... but nothing earth-shattering. The effects can work close up, but they are routined for stage or parlor. Remeber, in Bizarre Magick, the presentation is primary. However, one of the 2 tapes has the Wrath of Renfield(? sp), Docc's classic "bean effect" done with flies. It added as a "bonus" and is actually the real gem on the tape. Sorry, I can't remember which one it's on.

Hope this helps,
Dave
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
I believe that was weerdest on stage 2.
A wonderful effect, great for picnics!!!

lol
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of highmagic
Thanks again. I saw Wrath of Renfield performed live - this is why I wanted to purchase the stage tapes (even if I only do close-up)
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Does anyone know where I can get a jumping disc? I need it for a presentation.
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
Quote:
On 2004-09-21 15:33, Midnight333 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a jumping disc? I need it for a presentation.

They're simply not made any more. I don't actually think they've been commonly available since the 80s. I've been looking for one for several of years now. If you find out where to get one (or several) please let me know.

Dave Birtwell
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
Any suggestions as how to make a snap sound inside a chest?
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Electronics. You could get very controlled sounds on cue that way. If you are not an electronics wiz, forget it. You could also use magnetics. You might even get a small chest to move or even jump itself if the stars are aligned and all your blood oaths have all the t's crossed. That's probably as detailed as it gets in this forum.

The jumping disc, while dirt cheap, is not very precise as to cue.

BTW, Docc's tapes are fantastic.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Bent piano wire and some wax, a sort of make your own mousetrap in miniature. I do know that the bi-metal discs are still made, they are used in gontrol valves and thermostats, it is just that I am unable to get the manufacturers to respond to my pitiful cries and pleas for such a small quantity. Bah!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

For those that would like to see some "weerd" things in person, Docc and I will be doing a couple of lectures and a theatrical séance workshop at Denny & Lee's in Baltimore next weekend.

I will be doing my regular lecture on Thursday night (Sept. 30th), Docc will be doing his regular lecture on Friday night (Oct. 1st), and then both of us will be conducting a workshop on theatrical séances on Saturday afternoon (Oct. 2nd) at 2:00.

So that you know, we will not performing a séance. The
workshop is intended for those that are looking to learn about theatrical séances and it will deal with just about every aspect of creating, marketing, and performing theatrical séances.

Some of the topics that will be covered include:
·Why Perform A Séance?
·Working With The Lights On Or Off
·Creating & Being A Character
·Portable Séances Versus Permanent Parlors
·Where & What Will You Perform?
·The Marketing of Theatrical Séances – The Business Of The Show

In addition, a number of effects, routines, and techniques will be discussed and taught so that you can design your own unique production.

I hope to see some of you there.

Keep the change,
Rick Maue
Deceptions Unlimited
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Docc Hilford’s "Weerd!" and "It’s even weerder close up” (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL