We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making sponge balls look solid (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

emptyroom
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
75 Posts

Profile of emptyroom
I'm interested in using sponge balls for a multiplying balls effect a la Finn Jon. I know you can buy sponge tennis balls but I'm looking for something that looks more like rubber "bouncy" balls which I use in other routines. Sort of a glossy plastic finish. I'm considering painting the sponges with latex paint, then finding rubber balls which fit the shell and painting them with the same stuff. What do you think, would the finish look smooth enough?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
- Andrew
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21862 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I would not use the Super Soft sponge balls to attempt this, as they would just go out of shape. Maybe you could consider the tool handle dip sold at hardware stores. It is suppose to run smooth over the handles of tools to make a rubber like covering. Don't know if it would be to think for sponge balls, ever the older kind.

I would be much easier to just buy the sponge tennis balls and make a gimmick out of a real tennis ball, but if you have the time and money to throw at your idea, let us know if you were successful.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3032 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Are you aware that you can perform the multiplying balls without a shell, just with four or five solid balls? The moves for this were designed with real full-size billiard balls in mind, but it's so much easier with super balls, and the smaller balls also have better cling than smooth ivory billiard balls. Lewis Ganson is the name to seek out if interested in learning how it's done.
emptyroom
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
75 Posts

Profile of emptyroom
Jim, I am aware of the methods with solid balls. I just like the appearance of balls when Finn Jon does it with sponges. They seem to just grows in his hand... because they do. Smile

Bill, great idea, I hadn't thought of tool handle dip but I know exactly what you're talking about. I have soft and normal sponges so I can try both.

To those with the sponge tennis balls, how compressible are they? I know that's hard to quantify... Finn Jon had routines where he could hide a couple in finger palm and several in a coffee cup. How about this - How many could you hide in a coffee cup? That my knew measurement of compressed sponge, haha.
- Andrew
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21862 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Look up the world magic review show here on the Café, they talk about them several months back. I don't think they are like sponge balls, probably a little firmer then firm sponge balls. Use the inventors name and tennis balls in the search engine here on the Café. Custom the search to their topic heading.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
emptyroom
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
75 Posts

Profile of emptyroom
I found the show on youtube. Thanks Bill. Looks like they aren't compressible enough for me. I'll experiment. Thanks all.
- Andrew
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3388 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I would experiment with color dyed liquid latex, not latex paint. S***** eggs look very realistic with this type of coating.

Just a thought!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I know the routine you're talking about... Finn used custom cut sponges he made himself from upholstery foam. If you're following his instructions/routine exact, you'll want squishy stuff.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Take a look at stress relief balls. They are sponge balls made from self-skinning foam, meaning the surface is smooth and rubbery. This is one place:

http://www.officeplayground.com/Round-Stress-Ball-P1661.aspx
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Making sponge balls look solid (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL