The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Contact Mind Reading: The Osterlind Approach (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
This is a bit of a tough post to write. It's certainly not because of the quality of the product. And it's not because I don't see CMR as THE closest thing you can possibly get to real mind reading...because I do. And it's not because I'm completely bias, having written the introduction to the book. And it's not because Richard is a good friend of mine. None of these things would influence me to write what I'm about to write. If you know me, you know that's true.

It's a tough post to write because I KNOW that this is one of the true gems of mentalism. It's a 24 carat, 100 proof -- utterly impossible feat to present to audiences. It's impossible for them to deconstruct because, once they have seen there's no stooge, that nothing is written down...that no words are spoken -- there can be no possible answer other than they've just seen literal miracle of mind reading.

Remember: The performer genuinely has no idea what object the spectator is simply thinking of...or where an object has been hidden. The spectator is literally just THINKING of the object/location and the performer, doing nothing more than holding their hand, is about to attempt an impossible location.

I've posted elsewhere about my presentation of CMR for the first time...and the fact that I was first blown away by it when Osterlind showed it to his Master Class in Las Vegas. And I DO mean "blown away" as in chin-hitting-the-desk-and-a-brain-vibrating-with-"what the heck???" I fell instantly in love with the IDEA of this. I shrug when I see the endless methods of ACAAN or the majority of other "holy grails" -- but when I actually SAW this, I knew I was witnessing something utterly extraordinary.

So why is this a tough post to write? Give me a second and I'll explain.

For your fifty bucks, you're going to get a little book. Stacking this up against the other monster volumes on CMR (many of which I read in my frenzy to learn) it looks...well...small. Tiny, actually. Why? There's no filler. There's no self-indulgent pontification. No blah blah. There's just basic follow-the-instructions-and-you'll-be-able-to-do-this kinda writing. Step by step.

You're paying for a method...and learning that method from a guy who has done this for decades.

It's an effect...a demonstration that will leave your audience absolutely gobsmacked.

So why is this a tough post to write? Hmmm.

Two reasons. First: the people who are looking for "chango presto" mentalism -- stuff that works right out of the box, are in for a disappointment. Osterlind says some people have picked this up almost instantly. I believe him. But it took me a very long time and an astonishingly large number of failures and a pile of old fashioned hard work to even get to the point where I'm 50% confident with CMR. It hasn't been easy for me to learn. On the flipside, I wasn't learning from this book, because the book hadn't been issued yet.

This is the first in a series of books that Osterlind is aiming at the performing pros. It's not lightweight stuff. He makes a lot of assumptions about the reader in this book -- primary among which is that the reader already has a solid grounding in mentalism and is beyond needing the basics explained to him.

The second reason: CMR is quite literally...well...beautiful. From a presentation perspective, it's a symphony. I mean that. I would hate for this to become the "flavor of the week" with the "I do magic AND mentalism AND balloon animals in my show" set. When I was writing back and forth with Osterlind about this book, I urged him to put a hefty price tag on it...or to do it as a "very limited release" -- and he wouldn't hear of it. To me? It's worth ten times the asking price. Maybe more. Seriously. You want to talk "ultimate gimmick free and completely propless" mentalism? This is it.

But real gems deserve attention...and this is one of them. For some performers, what's in these pages will transform their act and revolutionize them as mentalists. Others will read it, sort of try it...and put it into the drawer. Then they'll moan about having spent fifty bucks on it. So here's your guide for whether or not you should pick this one up: IF you find your imagination stirred...and your heart beating just a little faster at the whole new world that opens up for you with CMR -- rush to hit the PayPal button now. Sprain your finger doing so, if necessary.

If, however, you're sorta kinda interested in knowing how this thing works, save your money.

This product gets six out of five billets from me. It is a modern-day masterpiece.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2025 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
David, thanks for the preview. Can you shed any light on what makes Osterlind's approach to learning this different from the other established works on it?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
You're welcome, Joshua. Here's what it comes down to: I think you'll agree with me that there are only so many things you can say about CMR. They all boil down to "go out and work on it." But knowing exactly WHAT you're supposed to be working on is the hard thing -- at least it was for me. Some of the books are huge and quite detailed...so detailed that what you're supposed to be doing gets lost in all the words. Does that make sense?

Osterlind's book, as I said above, is direct and to the point. A basic foundation is provided. What you should be doing...what you should be saying to your volunteer...what you should be looking for...the steps you take as you progress -- are all covered clearly and precisely.

Now that I have an idea of what CMR is about, I am going back to some of those other books and realizing what they were trying to convey. But it's like what happens when someone comes here and says they are new to mentalism...and what should they read? The knee jerk reply is that you should read Annemann and Corinda. Yes...they're foundational books -- but useful only when the reader has some kind of grounding in mentalism to begin with.

I appreciate brevity. I appreciate clear instruction. Osterlind's is the best of the lot for this.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
truman
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of truman
Thank you for the review, David. It sounds a bit coarse to ask, but I was wondering since the book came out. How many pages long is the book? Richard's website doesn't say, and it was one of the first things I looked for when I saw that the book had been released.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
It's a small book. Keep in mind that I only have the pre-release PDF...not the actual book yet. But my copy is 39 pages.

Before anyone asks: NO...this isn't available as a PDF. Richard sent me a PDF so I could have a look at it before it was published.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Actually, I sent David a word copy that was not entirely complete. The book is actually twice as many pages as that and contains revised material. In actuality it is as big as many of the previous books on contact mind reading and bigger then some. It also contains unique and different approaches that have never been covered in any other previous books. It is not simply a basic book to begin with, but an advanced book that gives details the others do not.
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
456 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Contact Mind Reading: The Osterlind Approach is 68 pages, perfect bound, and is trade paperback size (5.5 x 8.5").
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Now you know how long the book is in terms of pages. Thank-you, guys. Smile

With reference to "length of the book" -- I don't think I made my point clearly enough in the post above. I read a number of old manuscripts in researching CMR and, while I was fascinated with the subject matter, I found many of them irritating. It may be because I tend to be a visual learner...but I find books -- particularly instructional ones -- that take forever to get to the point are very hard for me to study -- to learn from. I'll skim chunks of text, looking for key words that will give me the information I'm looking for. Since this is an admittedly sloppy way of learning, I often have to go back over the same stuff several times before I understand what the author is trying to communicate to me.

I've read this particular book through several times and have not once felt the urge to cruise over chunks of copy to get to the information I'm after. That's a GOOD THING (a great thing for me) since it takes a very good writer to carry that off. My point was that, in these days of slap-dash publishing, the quality of Osterlind's instruction is outstanding.

There are fresh ideas in this book as well...and a critical "something" that hasn't been mentioned yet. When you're contemplating performing CMR there's one nagging thought: What if it doesn't work? There's no "out." Either it's going to work...or you fail in front of an audience. Osterlind provides some outstanding ideas about this...along with some "insurance" you can take out to ensure success.

Best of all -- this isn't a book that was written from an armchair. It was written by a performer FOR other performers. That means Osterlind considers all the same things you think about when you get down to the nuts and bolts of actually performing CMR. That means something to me.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I cant wait to get this in the mail. I ordered immediately after I saw he was releasing it. I was right there with David at the workshop when Richard did this for somebody during a break. I almost fell out of my chair! Never seen anything like it!
clairvoyant
View Profile
Loyal user
240 Posts

Profile of clairvoyant
So, you like it because it's short and gets to the point without filler. The Larsen chapter is similar in that regard. How does it compare to that resource?
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I haven't seen the Larsen chapter, clairvoyant. But I've heard good things about it. Sorry.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I am going to buy this because of your great post. Thank you.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, David Thiel wrote:
This is a bit of a tough post to write. It's certainly not because of the quality of the product. And it's not because I don't see CMR as THE closest thing you can possibly get to real mind reading...because I do. And it's not because I'm completely bias, having written the introduction to the book. And it's not because Richard is a good friend of mine. None of these things would influence me to write what I'm about to write. If you know me, you know that's true.

It's a tough post to write because I KNOW that this is one of the true gems of mentalism. It's a 24 carat, 100 proof -- utterly impossible feat to present to audiences. It's impossible for them to deconstruct because, once they have seen there's no stooge, that nothing is written down...that no words are spoken -- there can be no possible answer other than they've just seen literal miracle of mind reading.

Remember: The performer genuinely has no idea what object the spectator is simply thinking of...or where an object has been hidden. The spectator is literally just THINKING of the object/location and the performer, doing nothing more than holding their hand, is about to attempt an impossible location.

I've posted elsewhere about my presentation of CMR for the first time...and the fact that I was first blown away by it when Osterlind showed it to his Master Class in Las Vegas. And I DO mean "blown away" as in chin-hitting-the-desk-and-a-brain-vibrating-with-"what the heck???" I fell instantly in love with the IDEA of this. I shrug when I see the endless methods of ACAAN or the majority of other "holy grails" -- but when I actually SAW this, I knew I was witnessing something utterly extraordinary.

So why is this a tough post to write? Give me a second and I'll explain.

For your fifty bucks, you're going to get a little book. Stacking this up against the other monster volumes on CMR (many of which I read in my frenzy to learn) it looks...well...small. Tiny, actually. Why? There's no filler. There's no self-indulgent pontification. No blah blah. There's just basic follow-the-instructions-and-you'll-be-able-to-do-this kinda writing. Step by step.

You're paying for a method...and learning that method from a guy who has done this for decades.

It's an effect...a demonstration that will leave your audience absolutely gobsmacked.

So why is this a tough post to write? Hmmm.

Two reasons. First: the people who are looking for "chango presto" mentalism -- stuff that works right out of the box, are in for a disappointment. Osterlind says some people have picked this up almost instantly. I believe him. But it took me a very long time and an astonishingly large number of failures and a pile of old fashioned hard work to even get to the point where I'm 50% confident with CMR. It hasn't been easy for me to learn. On the flipside, I wasn't learning from this book, because the book hadn't been issued yet.

This is the first in a series of books that Osterlind is aiming at the performing pros. It's not lightweight stuff. He makes a lot of assumptions about the reader in this book -- primary among which is that the reader already has a solid grounding in mentalism and is beyond needing the basics explained to him.

The second reason: CMR is quite literally...well...beautiful. From a presentation perspective, it's a symphony. I mean that. I would hate for this to become the "flavor of the week" with the "I do magic AND mentalism AND balloon animals in my show" set. When I was writing back and forth with Osterlind about this book, I urged him to put a hefty price tag on it...or to do it as a "very limited release" -- and he wouldn't hear of it. To me? It's worth ten times the asking price. Maybe more. Seriously. You want to talk "ultimate gimmick free and completely propless" mentalism? This is it.

But real gems deserve attention...and this is one of them. For some performers, what's in these pages will transform their act and revolutionize them as mentalists. Others will read it, sort of try it...and put it into the drawer. Then they'll moan about having spent fifty bucks on it. So here's your guide for whether or not you should pick this one up: IF you find your imagination stirred...and your heart beating just a little faster at the whole new world that opens up for you with CMR -- rush to hit the PayPal button now. Sprain your finger doing so, if necessary.

If, however, you're sorta kinda interested in knowing how this thing works, save your money.

This product gets six out of five billets from me. It is a modern-day masterpiece.

David
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
911 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, David Thiel wrote:

It's a tough post to write because I KNOW that this is one of the true gems of mentalism. It's a 24 carat, 100 proof -- utterly impossible feat to present to audiences. It's impossible for them to deconstruct because, once they have seen there's no stooge, that nothing is written down...that no words are spoken -- there can be no possible answer other than they've just seen literal miracle of mind reading.


Don't wanna be disrespectful to classic techniques (CMR is still great and has some great uses) and calling it miracle of mind reading would describe it perfectly... 5-6 years ago.

I've done CMR and even invested quite a bit of money in books on the subject in the past and yet I don't do it anymore simply because the main effect (finding an object hidden in a room) isn't as powerful now with so many new prop-less mind reading effects coming out.

Not saying that CMR is no longer needed in any way (i still use it sometimes, just in smaller ways) it's just that with all the new material coming out lately, it stopped being as amazing as it used to be and mentioning that "You're actually doing this for real" as a selling point is no longer as powerful of a statement as it was 5 years ago.

Just my opinion obviously , anyone agree?

(Also I haven't read the book, so maybe it actually is full of completely new approaches that modernise it into a true and useful miracle of direct mind reading, if not than I think we need one)
Reader discretion is advised.
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Ford Kross's explanation of CMR from It Ain't Body Building (suggestive Mentalism part 2) is also very short - only six pages!
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18312 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Michael Zarek wrote:
Just my opinion obviously , anyone agree?


Nope - mainly cos its down to the presentation...so if you don't have an interesting presentation for it, then yeah - its boring...but nothing is inherently boring just because new stuff is out...though it might feel more exciting to perform to the individual because it feels 'new'...
Michael Zarek
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
911 Posts

Profile of Michael Zarek
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Michael Zarek wrote:
Just my opinion obviously , anyone agree?


Nope - mainly cos its down to the presentation...so if you don't have an interesting presentation for it, then yeah - its boring...but nothing is inherently boring just because new stuff is out...though it might feel more exciting to perform to the individual because it feels 'new'...



You're absolutely right, and I'm not bashing the technique at all.
I personally tried many different presentations without being able to find one that I would be satisfied with but obviously that's just me.
My opinion is simply that the basic CMR effect at face value is no longer as impressive of a feat as it was 5 years or earlier because now we have other prop-less effects which are in their basic form still more impressive.
Reader discretion is advised.
Sensio
View Profile
Special user
I promise I won't exceed
632 Posts

Profile of Sensio
Practical and Pragmatic
These are the basic ingredients imho of all of Richard Osterlind's material so this book is a little pricey but I am pretty sure no one will be left disappointed...

Tempted...
SENSIOPAD - Finest Peeking Technology

K N O C K O U T M E N T A L I S M . C O M
Image
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3753 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2015, Sensio wrote:
Practical and Pragmatic
These are the basic ingredients imho of all of Richard Osterlind's material so this book is a little pricey but I am pretty sure no one will be left disappointed...

Tempted...


You make some good points, Sensio. I was thinking about this as I read through the book.

To someone who is merely curious, I agree: it's pricey. To someone who is looking to incorporate CMR into their act -- or to give it a serious look, how is fifty bucks pricey compared to the 200-300 dollars people pay for the latest electr*nic marvel or the limited edition ebook? This isn't a book of abstract thinking, it's a nuts and bolts, step by step method for developing a full routine. And you're right: it is completely practical and pragmatic in its approach.

I have to respectfully disagree with one of the previous posters. It's true that CMR has been around for a long time. But to say that it isn't something that will blow modern audiences away? Nope...not in my experience. As Iain suggested it is very much a matter of presentation. But stop for a second and tell me why this ISN'T as close to mind reading as you can possibly get. No pump*ing. No words exchanged verbally or with writing. It can be performed any place. Any time. Close up or on stage. No props. No prep. No batteries. No confeder**es. No angle or lighting considerations.The volunteer simply thinks of where something is hidden or to be delivered and the performer knows what they are thinking. It's got drama and a powerful mystique.

Of course there is a method. But how is this not mindreading?

I didn't choose to champion this book because Osterlind wrote it. I honestly wouldn't do that. I chose to get behind it because it's a superb product and, as such, it deserves to be brought to the attention of those who might use it. Of course I don't expect mentalists all over the world to start performing this. They won't. It doesn't fit everyone's style and there is a lot of hard work to get it even close to stage ready. And actually performing it for strangers for the first time will, in fact, make your knees sweat.

My attention and ambition are fixed on the delightful expectation of what I will have in my performing arsenal once I have complete experience and confidence in the system.

I'm backing the book for the performer who looks at this and sees CMR for high impact effect it is. That's the guy who will have his whole mentalism act transformed by what he learns in performing CMR.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.


www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
523 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Michael Zarek wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Michael Zarek wrote:
Just my opinion obviously , anyone agree?


Nope - mainly cos its down to the presentation...so if you don't have an interesting presentation for it, then yeah - its boring...but nothing is inherently boring just because new stuff is out...though it might feel more exciting to perform to the individual because it feels 'new'...



You're absolutely right, and I'm not bashing the technique at all.
I personally tried many different presentations without being able to find one that I would be satisfied with but obviously that's just me.
My opinion is simply that the basic CMR effect at face value is no longer as impressive of a feat as it was 5 years or earlier because now we have other prop-less effects which are in their basic form still more impressive.


My other effects, propless or not, are stronger than the "basic" CMR effect. But I think the reason is, that I can't put it into a act of mine, because it is not my style, or I just can't think of an appropriate presentation. In the right setting it plays very well, but if it way more impressive 5 years ago? I don't know.
But you can do much more with muscle reading. Use it for a book test, to find a certain person/object etc., or as a method to fall back on.
In Pablo's Zodiaco is CMR used in a very brilliant way, IMO. You can use CMR for a propless PIN revelation with some creativity. The "basic" CMR effect is just the tip of the mountain.
-

Prometheus
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
663 Posts

Profile of Waters.
For presentational information and dealing with nuances like push versus pull, I am sure this will be well worth while. I haven't not (I know double negative) benefitted from reading any of the texts I have regarding CMR. I am sure this will be no different.
Follow the link...
www.experience-architecture.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Contact Mind Reading: The Osterlind Approach (45 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL