The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Contact Mind Reading: The Osterlind Approach (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The Annemann quote also highlights the biggest problem that must be overcome in a CMR presentation- if even an audience of magicians assumed it had to be "plants and confederates," it's apparent that intelligent laypeople who aren't familiar with CMR (and many are) will also think it's all a set-up.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
All the advertising for my book, even the title itself, clearly states this is an advanced book for the professional mentalist. Its purpose is not to teach CMR to the beginner, although it can do that, but is primarily directed to the worker who has read other material on the subject, tried it and never achieved the results he wanted. I simply show in the book what I went through and what I learned works for me.

If it seems “iffy” - good! It should. One of the intentions of the book is to point out that all mentalism should have an edge to it and not seem so foolproof that it comes across as a rehearsed magic trick or a totally produced “reality?” television mentalism show. Look at the way Cassidy works. He displays his mentalism as though it were hard and unsure. The results have to appear to be somewhat uncertain to match the magnitude of the experiment. One of the traits most lacking in many new mentalists is fortitude – the willingness to step outside the boundary of the safe and take chances, dealing with the results, good or bad, as they come. It’s what Bob calls jazz mentalism and it can achieve results that are totally remarkable. But you have to have guts! The fact that Bob has done his work in front of every kind of audience imaginable, even motorcycle clubs, speaks of his own grit.

If you are worried about trying Contact Mind Reading in public, think about the feeling you would have walking out on stage to an audience of 2000 to do your first hypnotism show! Some of the greatest feats of our art require nerves of steel to pull off. That is why I see so many mentalists afraid to use a swami or do billet routines requiring multiple switches. They lack courage.

CMR forces you to behave like a real mentalist. Last week, in Italy, I was doing a seminar and had demonstrated CMR with 2 people. Then one of the mentalists insisted I do it with him and I could tell it was a challenge. I decided to pick out an object he was thinking of. After a minute or so I wasn’t getting anywhere. I turned to him and said, “You are not thinking of the object. You are thinking of me!” He looked at me, hesitated, and then said, “You’re right. Let’s try it again.”

The second time around I found the object immediately. He admitted he was not aware of giving me any cues, but also said, “What I found even more fascinating than you finding the object was that you knew I wasn’t thinking of it the first time!” That is the way real mindreading would work. Every person is different and every result unsure.

Finally, as far as the “strength” of CMR, both on stage and in more intimate situations, I guess I must have incredible luck in getting audiences of all types who think it is one of the greatest things they have ever seen. Yes, I do mostly corporate work, but I also perform anywhere I go. Ask around to those people I have spent some time with and they will tell you I’m not afraid to try CMR, cold reading or even instant hypnotism at any time and any place. I simply try to copy those who I admire. All of the greats, from Foster and Reese, down to Dunninger and Kreskin have always been ready to go. That is what makes reputations.
Scott Soloff
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia, PA
960 Posts

Profile of Scott Soloff
Mr. Osterlind,

Thank you.

Best wishes,

Scott
'Curiouser and curiouser."
jremy7
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of jremy7
I have had greater sucess with mentalism while actually "messing up" but not giving up and trying like a falling cat to land on my feet. Richard is of course correct as usual: It takes courage and daring. I'm glad for all the material he has given the mentalism community. It's a remarkable resource for me; not to mention a continuing inspiration.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Some people think CMR no longer holds an audience the way it once did. (When was that?) I may have ceased hotel-hopping four years ago, but I still keep my hand in from time to time. Leading someone to something they're only THINKING about still drives people crazy, whether it's in a grocery store, in a Wal-Mart, or even amongst the feebly retired folks in our complex. (The truly retired ones are the ones home during the day, hanging around the community rooms or the pool.) Interestingly enough, I have better success with my walker than I ever did on (only) my own two feet.

From 2004 - 2011, NOBODY for whom I performed this - had ever seen anything like it. Why weren't they watching Kreskin's show in the 1970s like I was?

----

Second, and less argumentative (It's a cranky sort of day today. The VA phoned and want me to go in for more tests, and I don't have that much blood left after the last time!) I rather liked David's intro, even if he did beat my record for longest and most-rambling introduction to an Osterlind book. This gave me a look into the head of someone who had never seen CMR performed and certainly not as well as an Osterlind performance. Kreskin marvelled me, but the distance that television causes - sort of dampened the miraculous feel. On screen, it looks exactly like a set-up -- because on-screen, there's that strong possibility of a set-up, and we're all born with a distrust of television anyway. (Or we were, a generation or two ago.)

So the first time I tried it, it was with no prior experienced. I'd watched a Banachek video (I think it really was a video, before we had a DVD player, but don't trust my memory if I'm not referencing my journals.) and practiced with Cherie -- and failed miserably. I was to perform in front of a group of hospital workers the next night, so I came up with a plot which - if I failed - would be funny.

Because I saw that the only way I could learn it was to DO IT. And I really, really wanted to start learning right away. Which is why I had no nervousness; I was sure I would fail. My brain was practically turned off.

And it turned out to be as simple as falling off a logarithm.

Future attempts were hit or miss, and I'd say I ended up with about an 87% success rate. Even when I was off, I made sure I was standing with my second choice right behind me. (Every time I missed, the true target was the second choice.) This, and my reaction, brought the house(s) down with laughter.

Therefore, I <u>needed</u> to know what this really looked like to an audience, and David's introduction - almost as long as this current post - gave me that information. Yes, it was somewhat disconnected, but that's how a person sounds when their brains have been scrambled.

Finally I thought there would be only a few things I might pick up from Richard's new book. After all, I'd been doing this for a decade and had received some wonderful tips from Richard along the way. Smug was I.

(Talking like Yoda is Chet.)

Boy howdy, was I wrong! (Richard, ask Lisa for a translation of the phrase "Boy howdy!" when spoken in a cowboy or southern way.)

There - is - so - much - more. For one thing, I've always avoided really impossible tests, such as finding something on a cluttered table, with that something being hidden under a pile of other somethings. That just seemed impossible. Finding a card within a spread seemed impossible with CMR.

Maybe the only real weakness of CMR is that it really looks like a stooged set-up. Using the Osterlind Approach, I cannot imagine anyone thinking a stooge is involved. Yes, he really teaches multiple ways to convince your audience that they have just seen the impossible. There is literally no other explanation.

If Bob Cassidy has this much knowledge and skill, it's no wonder that he is unafraid to perform in front of armed audiences.

With the Osterlind CMR manual (How DOES he fit a thousand pages of information into a slim booklet's 60 or so pages?) I even begin to see the possibilities of determining a thought-of word or object which is not in the area....literally plucking an unspoken, unwritten thought from a victim's mind.

In a handful of pages, Richard has introduced me to real mindreading.

And now the world is all new again.
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I will go and check these DVDs from Richard. I know there will be good stuff and some hidden gem to discover.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
I will go and check these DVDs from Richard. I know there will be good stuff and some hidden gem to discover.

If you put this book in your DVD player, you will damage your DVD player.

*jeep! Good night and God Bless! (Thanks, Red!)
---Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Chet,

INCREDIBLE! It is a book, a book... a book!

Not another DVD (Dumbing Viewers Deeply) ...

Way better to me! Good choice Richard!... Godspeed to you and your family, and thank you for your help!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Book.

Even the word makes me nostalgic. Book.

Someday, Grandpa will tell unbelieving great-grandkids that there was a time when you could read a book, and never worry about running out of batteries.

*jeep! Goodnight and God Bless!
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
jaymeswhite1219
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of jaymeswhite1219
I tried for many years using the Corinda method and always failed. I purchased the preorder of the Osterlind book and started reading it today. If anyone can teach me this it is Osterlind. All his work is gold. I have made a career from mentalist and in a way its all because of Osterlind, he made me fall in love with mentalism 15 years ago and I haven't looked back.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Thank you Jaymes. You have no idea how gratifying that is to me.
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
Mr. Osterlind,

I preordered the book and once I got it I devoured it. I loved every bit of it. Ive read many books on CMR but yours by far is the best.
Thank you so much
Blake
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13144 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
For those who don't know, the very last item on DVD 2 in the Intimate Impossibilities set is Richard performing this.
It makes a nice visual illustration of what is taught in the book.

Tony
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Thank you Blake and thank you Tony for pointing that out.
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
744 Posts

Profile of Marc O
It took me a while before I ordered this book but I finally took the plunge.
2 days ago it was delivered at my door and yesterday evening I started reading this book.
So far I only read the foreword by David.
David made me feel really there, right next to him, watching Richard in action.

After David's foreword I stopped and layed it down.
Not because it was a bad read, NO NOT AT ALL!
But because I feel this book should be treated with proper respect!
This should not be devoured as a simple Big Mac with no taste to it and still leave you with a hungry feeling, no this should be seen as a dinner in a Michelin star restaurant!

Bite for bite this should be tasted, letting the smell and taste of that tiny bit go round and round before you take your next bite.
Looking forward to reading the complete book but for now holding my horses allowing this information to sink in piece by piece....

Boy I hope with Richard's written help that I can pull this CMR of...
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10498 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Not familiar with this - now you have me curious.

Thanks Marc O
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Marc O
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
744 Posts

Profile of Marc O
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, saysold1 wrote:
Not familiar with this - now you have me curious.

Thanks Marc O

No problem at all.
You have helped me out before, glad I could return the favour Smile
The Urban Entity
View Profile
New user
Itta Bena, MS
92 Posts

Profile of The Urban Entity
I've been doing hellstromism for years. And my fav method has been the adaptation of grabbing the hand ala Mr. Osterlind. I found that his approach of hand/arm placement has improved my hellstromism.

In fact, over the years, I've gained an entire act based on the ability to do such. I've found that this opened up a lot of presentations that many people have not yet explored.
WATCH AWESOME HYPNOSIS VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/user/taylormade85/example?sub_confirmation=1

"Pushing The Boundaries of What is Possible With Hypnosis"
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of espmagic
One of the things not really addressed here is that the Osterlind book *is* the one that will make you want to go out and do it. Period. I have read many tomes on the practice, the concept, how it is "supposed" to work, etc., but Richard's small book is the one that rids you of fear, and allows(?) you to actually try it...perhaps only once, perhaps as a permanent addition to your work, but it is easily the best and most motivating book I have read on the subject.

Lee
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
586 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Strange request - can someone who has this book describe what it looks like for me. I've lost my copy! I've been through shelves of books and can't see it anywhere. Particularly interested in what the spine looks like.
Thanks, Ed
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Contact Mind Reading: The Osterlind Approach (45 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL