The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » College? Or Magic? (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Our semester just started, so this is on my mind again.

Until two or three years ago, Germany required a year of mandatory military or civil service from every adult male. Some still do it, even though it is no longer required by law. Two days ago some guy told me about his year as a paramedic. Others work with the elderly or wiyh handicapped people or in a public library.

My impression is that these students are noticeably more mature than those who go straight to college. But as with everything else, one's mileage might vary.
Thorn
View Profile
New user
United States Virgin Islands
66 Posts

Profile of Thorn
Hey Sean , I'm 25 years old and I was almost in a similar situation like you. I have always had a passion for magic and recently decided to dive into it as deep as you did. My advice would be to get a degree or learn a trade as you hone your magic and practice performing. Magic might even be able to help you pay for school and school in return can help you understand different concepts in developing, creating, and marketing your magic.
dannywu
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of dannywu
I'm in University pursuing a business degree, and I find the knowledge I receive from my education greatly benefits my magician career.
seanksutton
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of seanksutton
Just thought I would give people an update on where I am in life (even though probably no one cares haha).

I am currently at the University of Arkansas and am working towards a degree in Sociology/Criminal Justice, along with a minor in theatre. While in college I have learned to be more patient when looking at my career in mentalism-as in, I am spending more time refining my material and my character, and college is a fantastic place to do it.

I have also met a student in graduate school who is getting his masters in Criminology and is also a professional mentalist. It definitely helps to have an older figure who has been where you are and has much wisdom when it comes to not only mentalism, but life.

So, do I think all those young performers out there should go to college? I think so. Learn and do something new. Do something to help people. Broaden what you already know. Make new lifelong friends. All the while, continue to grow your performance skills and find who you really are.

Worst case scenario-you go to college and it does not benefit you at all, and it's the worst time of your life? In that situation, simply drop out.

If any of you have questions about college or anything about me, feel free to message me and I'd be more than happy to talk to you.

Sean Sutton
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » College? Or Magic? (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL