The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic palm, finding a sweet spot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Being card magic only for years, I finally realised it's time to take on board another close up subject that can be performed in the hands standing. Coins it is!

After seeing Wayne Fox's lecture this week with a coin routine, that really inspired me.

So I came to classic magic forums searched coin magic DVDs and bought Eric Jones, David Roth and M.Ammar coin dvds.

Their all great with CP explaintations but nearly all of them explain everyone has their own sweet spot for CP, I'm not struggling with holding coin in CP or it slipping.....I am stuck at a wall after all day everyday finding a spot it can be held.... I've tried different positions, various strengths of tightness/grip, I just can not find on my palm where I can grip it, even for a second.
I assumed finding the spot wouldn't take time, just the practice of holding it there and forming the muscles to look nautrual....for me I can't even find a good spot where I can hold it!?!?!?!?

I've tried half dollar coin, half a crown, 50p, 2p and 2 pound coins. Failing with all.

What am I doing wrong that I can't even find a spot to hold it??
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Http://coinvanish.com/
This site has a very helpful guide to classic palming.
Click on "Fundamentals", they'll ask you to answer a question (It's backpalm), then click on How to Classic Palm a Coin.
Good luck
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3315 Posts

Profile of warren
Mb217 has an excellent tip for the classic palm that's worth sending him a pm for which is very simple to incorporate when starting out, adding to that would say the sweet spot is the one that gives you the flattest hand plus the saying keep a coin palmed in your hand whenever possible whilst carrying out daily tasks helps no end.
guyjr
View Profile
Loyal user
Don't mind me and my
228 Posts

Profile of guyjr
I'd all but given up on trying to palm coins back in my youth... glad to know there are some resources out there that might help me also gain this ability. Thanks OP for starting this thread. Smile
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1576 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I tried learning to CP a few times using different lessons as well.
My hands are so dry in the winter that there's no way I can find any spot. I've been practicing with both a Kennedy Half and a US Quarter.
I use moisturizer but it is only effective for about an hour.
I have a pretty good finger palm, so I'll stick with that for now.
Ihor
Ferran Rizo
View Profile
New user
Murcia
39 Posts

Profile of Ferran Rizo
First try to find witch coin is best for your hand, big hands get better big coins as dollars or Half dollars... And to help the palm try to search cois with a good sharp rim. If the rim is soft the coin will not fixed well on the palm. And last advice if you have not palmed coins is patience.... Try during a week palm every time and every day a coin. If it fall do not worry, try again. You have to exercise your hand muscles thenar and hypothenar.....
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
As with most new skills, practice, practice then practice some more. What worked for me was keeping a coin in each hand all-of-the-time Smile As for finding that specific spot, the reason everyone seems to focus on this is that it is slightly different for each person. However if you look at an anatomy book, a typical hand is just that: typical. If you picture the palm muscles as a 'V', you want the coin to be as close to the bottom of that open V. As with most thing 'coiny' it's more difficult to describe than to demonstrate...

One last comment; don't become too focused on getting the coin exactly at the same spot every time. It's one thing to set up a CP for practice, quite another to smoothly transition from a FP to CP to TP in front of an audience. I made it my mission to be comfortable palming 30mm to 40mm coins, or American halves and Morgans or Canadian silver dollars. Unless you plan to use only halves, get a couple of 40mm coins and work on those every other week or whatever suits.

Fwiw it took me about a year to be comfortable with my CP. Oh, and watch out for shooting thumbs!
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
One thing I did to help me build the muscle was practice the muscle pass. It really helped.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Good point Kyoki, I should have mentioned that! I also forgot to mention how I used well-milled coins when first working on my CP: by well-milled I mean I took a jeweler's file and went to town on two half dollars and two junk coins the size of Morgans. This really helped, and for those who may think it may have been a crutch, I can now easily CP coins with no milling.

Hope this helps.
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
Reed McClintock has some very good tips in his DVD and discusses the sweet spot, type of coin to use, different techniques for practice, and more.

I have seen a lot of Coin Magic DVD's from the more popular coin magicians, but I cannot say I have seen every single Coin DVD on the market. But as I recall, this DVD seems to the be the most comprehensive on the classic palm from what I have seen.

"Classic Palming With Coins by Reed McClintock"

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S9953

check it out.

caL
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
dj
View Profile
Special user
943 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, WazMeister wrote:
Being card magic only for years, I finally realised it's time to take on board another close up subject that can be performed in the hands standing. Coins it is!

After seeing Wayne Fox's lecture this week with a coin routine, that really inspired me.

So I came to classic magic forums searched coin magic DVDs and bought Eric Jones, David Roth and M.Ammar coin dvds.

Their all great with CP explaintations but nearly all of them explain everyone has their own sweet spot for CP, I'm not struggling with holding coin in CP or it slipping.....I am stuck at a wall after all day everyday finding a spot it can be held.... I've tried different positions, various strengths of tightness/grip, I just can not find on my palm where I can grip it, even for a second.
I assumed finding the spot wouldn't take time, just the practice of holding it there and forming the muscles to look nautrual....for me I can't even find a good spot where I can hold it!?!?!?!?

I've tried half dollar coin, half a crown, 50p, 2p and 2 pound coins. Failing with all.

What am I doing wrong that I can't even find a spot to hold it??

Mano's (Mano Tejeda) Classic Palm is the best I've seen so far. Incredible!

dj
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
You should definitely search for some videos of David Stone, if you want to see the best classic palm in the business.
dj
View Profile
Special user
943 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
You should definitely search for some videos of David Stone, if you want to see the best classic palm in the business.

I know David Stones classic palm and I know Manos classic palm.

Do you know Manos classic palm???
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Though I have never seen McClintock's how to palm,
His other videos inspired me to improve mine.

For me it was a trial and error personal journey.
Once I learned the basics of both p... and mus-pa...
I have grown in its use in my dominant and non dominant hand.

Harris
With palms of aluminum foil, for a lighter touch in coin magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic palm, finding a sweet spot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL