The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading resources (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Hello everyone Smile

I am looking for cold reading resources and there are a lot out there and I could not know which one will be good for me!

I have zero knowledge in cold reading so I am looking for a general book. like when someone want to start in mentalism they read 13 step and PME , I want to know if there are a books like this out there for cold reading .

also after that I am looking for a two or three books after that book to enhance my knowledge, and I don't know if that will be enough to be an okay to do cold reading you could also tell me what to read to be an okay.

I don't plan to do a reading seasons I just want to make a better performance with the people .

Many thanks
Seethings
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Seethings
Almost every cr book can be found in the following link

http://www.deceptionary.com/aboutreading.html

Next time, do a search please.
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Sorry but these are a lot and I don't know which one to choose.

I didn't ask where to find . I asked which one is a good resource for someone who didn't do a cold reading before.

thanks
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
If you actually read the page referenced by Seethings, you'll find that it makes very specific recommendations to those seeking to learn cold reading.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
I can recommend Ian Rowland's book about the topic, it is a must have IMHO.
I have read several times that people say that you should learn a oracle/reading system, for which ever reason. But if you just want to practice cold reading you definetly don't need that.
Maybe Julian Moore's James Bond Cold Reading could be helpful too. You get a help to remember basic stock lines in your own words in there, though, just throwing out stock lines isn't really cold reading.
-

Prometheus
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I disagree with Prometheus. Ian Rowland's book is a great resource, but not a starting point.

Try Julian Moore's James Bond Cold Reading and his Speed Palmistry. Then perhaps Richard Webster's Psychometry A-Z, then go out and try some readings in an informal setting. The practice is where you will learn.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Read a couple of cheapo shut-eye books (get them from amazon new and used) - it kinda doesn't matter which really, just a couple to see their point of view...and then I'd say richard webster's psychometry a-z, cos of its simplicity and adaptability - and then as tony says, just start giving short, fun readings for people...nothing heavy, just tell them about themselves...
I've asked to be banned
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
The practice is where you will learn.

Good point, Tony.

Practice a lot, the theory alone won't make a good cold reader out of you.
-

Prometheus
Interfector
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of Interfector
Thanks all
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Just don't buy Ice Cold by morgan. The contents were taken directly from public internet searches...no way to write an original book.

Regards,
Mike
DutchFrank
View Profile
Special user
Has a fence with
541 Posts

Profile of DutchFrank
Zero to ninety by Michael Murray.
Nothing to memorize!
Forgive me any language mistakes.

I'm Dutch.
Mr. F
View Profile
Loyal user
Kentucky
247 Posts

Profile of Mr. F
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2015, DutchFrank wrote:
Zero to ninety by Michael Murray.
Nothing to memorize!

Ill second that.
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
I recommend what seethings and ddyment have said. If you look that page you will find a lot of recommend books with comments on each and also some interesting articles on the subject. Also, search in Wikipedia, I find interesting things there.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Widuk commented:
Quote:
I recommend what seethings and ddyment have said. If you look that page you will find a lot of recommend books with comments on each and also some interesting articles on the subject.

And even some valuable free resources, which those who took the trouble to read the information (as well as this page) have discovered to their delight.

But the world will always have an overabundance of those who spend their time seeking an "easy/speedy" path to cold reading, rather than actually learning how to do it.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
widuk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of widuk
Quote:
On Mar 8, 2015, ddyment wrote:
But the world will always have an overabundance of those who spend their time seeking an "easy/speedy" path to cold reading, rather than actually learning how to do it.

You're right, and not only with cold reading.
erikdobell
View Profile
Regular user
Gatlinburg Tennessee
139 Posts

Profile of erikdobell
Ian Rowland's Full Facts About Cold Reading is probably your best bet, even if you are new. It's pretty inclusive and breaks it down very well. He even gives several breakdowns from his own work on television.

After that it's practice, practice, practice.
Brandon
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
131 Posts

Profile of Brandon
Ultimate Guide to Coldreading by B. Thomas, bought mine on ebay but I think lybrary carries it now.
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Interfector wrote:
Hello everyone Smile

I have zero knowledge in cold reading so I am looking for a general book. like when someone want to start in mentalism they read 13 step and PME

I don't plan to do a reading seasons I just want to make a better performance with the people .

Many thanks

i am sure that with your zero knowledge and the aim you have in mind one of the best deals you could get is going to

http://thecoldreadingcompany.co.uk/coldreading/

that chap julian moore can quickly teach you to cold read anything :
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
One of the difficulties in answering a question like "how do I learn cold reading" is defining the term. If I sit down with you and do a card reading without knowing you ahead of time, that can be called cold reading. Palmistry, numerology, graphology, whatever oracle you choose it still qualifies. But what a lot of people want is to do a stunningly accurate reading without the oracle.

You cannot go wrong with Julian Moore's books for learning the basics. They are cheap, which is a real plus. Get the James Bond reading for a basic script. If you want to learn an oracle like cards, palm, or graphology, he is a great starting place. I would supplement with other sources from the shut eye publishers. This has the advantage of informing you what your clients are likely to be familiar with.

Or if you just want to be cheap (nothing wrong with that) look for the Forer script and Ray Hyman's article online. See the Deceptionary link above. Doug's site is very valuable when you realize what is there and what it means. Memorize a script. Play with it. There are several excellent sources of how to do it, but everyone will tell you the same thing. The only way to get good at anything is to do it a lot.

Patrick
Oliver Wallen
View Profile
Regular user
London
152 Posts

Profile of Oliver Wallen
I once asked Ian Rowland advice on improving cold reading and he just said to do it again and again and again, and to hang out with other cold readers to learn from them and share techniques with each other.
I'm not an expert cold reader so I could be completely and utterly wrong, but it seems to me that having a small basis and understanding of cold reading and then going out and performing it is better than reading hundreds and hundreds of books on the subject and barely actually doing it.
Just my two cents.

I used the word "and" a lot in this message.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading resources (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL