The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Stand-up lapping (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
In the literature I haven't come across much discussion on transitioning from normal (slydini-esque) lapping into more modern stand-up performance. I'd love to read about more approaches to this if they're available as I always perform standing up.

Thanks and happy weekend,
Dartagnan
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The workaroo came darned close. Amnar on the topit should be accessible. remember this is not secret sessions but open threads. the Trabuco holdout? also a good approach.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
It rhymes with deceiving...
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Matting, a technique taught in the NYCMS dvd series and on the Knockout Coin Magic dvd. Holdouts and topits are great, as well as sleeving.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Stand Up Lapping – I’d like to learn more

I tried with a coin but it fell to the floor
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Old school answer is off the cuff.

If it vanishes with a puff
Cuff

Harris
With a sleight winter cuff
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
The workaroo connected both front pockets to the upper entry passage.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Oh, I guess I'll actually contribute as it's something I've been working on.

One of Slydini's main points was that the body takes the hand. In order to move your right hand from the table to your lap, you would rotate to the left and lean back a bit, then lean forward to bring your hand to between your knees. These motions are casual and natural in a conversation. With sleeving, there is a lot larger of a distance to go as you need your elbow straight (and there's not a table hiding everything) (By the way, this can all be avoided in the act of sleeving, but not easily for retrieval) It's a lot harder to completely hide that action, and requires larger motions to cover it. A good example of a motion that would completely cover it is dropping something else on the floor. In the act of picking it up your other hand extends behind you.

There is an advantage to sleeving though, if you used properly. The retrieval position for sleeving is also a natural rest state, and non-suspicious. After retrieval you can leave the hand there for really as long as you want. In lapping you want the image in the spectators head to be that your hand never left the table. (Not accomplished through fast movements, but natural movements) If you leave your hand down there (without reason of course) for too long it looks suspicious. (Ignore how dirty that sounded, I'm trying to have a serious talk here).

So how do you get it down there? Depending on the item, retrieving something from the sleeve requires a bit faster of a motion and either a hard stop (that looks suspicious) or an awkward swing of the arm (that looks suspicious) I feel like even Rocco has this swing.

A lot of coin magicians have this really odd posture where their upper portion of their arm goes straight down, but the elbow is bent at a 90 degree angle, as if that was a resting state. And it is, if you're holding something. When a magician has that posture with a supposedly empty hand it just calls attention to itself. The natural state of an empty hand is almost straight down, but with a slight bend at the elbow. Also your elbow is rotated out just a little bit. The arm is wresting against the body. (I'm afraid I'm going to start getting weird looks watching people's arms, but I heard a story about Dai Vernon watching people put on coats and I can't stop now) The hand as it's falling bounces against the body. It doesn't swing behind the body. You are subconsciously doing the laziest action possible. (It's kinda how the universe works, but this isn't a chemistry (or maybe physics) lecture). You are aiming your hand at your body, and then just letting it fall so that you don't have to worry about it.

I still haven't answered the question, have I? Ummmmm, I don't know. Currently I'm working on is pushing my wrist slightly into my hip as my hand falls (with practice you can do this pretty late in the motion) and letting it rest there for a second, and then, in a much smaller and easier to hide motion you can retrieve the coin. Still working on it though.
Ferran Rizo
View Profile
New user
Murcia
39 Posts

Profile of Ferran Rizo
I whatch, long time ago, in a excellent Carlos Vaquera lecture in UK, that he uses a kind of bag. It has four compartments and it is attached to edge of the table in front of standing magician. So that you can lap coins while you are standing. He uses four compartments to lap four coins without noise, they not click as they fall in different compartments.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
For a directly analogous technique, see Gregory Wilson's "Pitch and Ditch".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
I agree topits are some of the greatest yet underused devices.
PAUL 7
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of PAUL 7
TKO.By Jeff Kaylor.
It's like a Topit but you don't use a jacket. It's a good way to vanish a coin and you can do it with your sleeves up. There are many things you can do with it.
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
TKO is very good but it needs a lot of practice to make it look good. Other wise the method can telegraph quite easily
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
When not wearing a jacket you can ditch a coin in the side pocket of your trousers (not jeans).
Have two handkerchiefs in your pocket so it's standing a little open.
See Apocalypse vol 10, 1987, 1359: "The Trouser Pocket Topit" by John V. Hope.
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
There are moves using a stiff open Gibecière that are very similar to lapping.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1157 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Sylvester pitch
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Well I aint a coin guy. But here is a lil something. No gaffs. Just a guy desperately trying to stay in frame.https://youtu.be/l_4WuZJnsLw

Let me know watcha think.

Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
Looks really good! Is that an original creation?
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, FrankieF wrote:
Looks really good! Is that an original creation?

Coins across? Hardly original. The method and the lack of proving moves were what I was trying for.
Tony
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
FrankieF
View Profile
Veteran user
So Cal
334 Posts

Profile of FrankieF
That's what I was asking about the method.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Stand-up lapping (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL