We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Custom Lota (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Can you direct me to someone who can help me upgrade a container to a lota?

All help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
Yours,

Ivan
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21845 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can try Nick Wenger Magic Designs.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Thanks Bill. Any more please?
Yours,

Ivan
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2446 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Doesn't it depend on the container? if metal, you'd probably need a metal worker, if ceramic, a pot maker, etc. the mechanics itself is pretty simple...
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
It's a stainless steel hip flask
Yours,

Ivan
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2446 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
They already sell one. it's called "One for the Road," one one the auction site now, probably other places. probably cheaper to buy than to pay someone to alter yours.

s
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
The quality of mine is horrible. And I need a larger one!
Yours,

Ivan
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2015, niva wrote:
The quality of mine is horrible. And I need a larger one!

I almost bought one of those, but the guy selling it talked me out of it for that reason. Not well made and the "pour" was so very little, that the further into the routine you might go, this would eventually reduce to just a few drops. More laughs from a pea can for that small amount of liquid. Ha!

Regarding making one, unless you have one that the bottom (or bottom section below the neck) can be removed, you are kind of limited to the size of the neck opening for inserting a gimmick. Metal-based epoxy like JB weld or serious-worker epoxy like PC7 will work for sealing the gimmick in place. Just for credibility, I once fixed holes in a dishwasher door with PC7 (rather than buy a new one) and it stayed watertight for as long as I owned it (several more years).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Would it be ok to drink from it after you use JB Weld?
Yours,

Ivan
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good question. I do not know.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21845 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That is the problem with constructing metal products that the contents are to be used for human consumption. Many products that originally were used are now deemed to be poisonous to humans. When it comes to metal, only metal to metal welding would be the safest method for joining parts. They do make a pluming solder that is safe for humans. Using the improper joining product is what scares off metal workers from making such products for magic.

James P. Riser was going to make the Any Drink Called for Kettle, but after much consideration, he just decided that he could not trust the owner to actually go through the cleaning process properly.

There are many stories in magic of what happened to magic apparatus craftsman when purchasers so not read and follow the instructions exactly. Many careers and lives have been destroyed by negligent owners.

What you might do is look at the many different double walled containers for keeping cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot. I did a little searching and there are a lot of different sizes and shapes of containers on the market. Maybe you can find one that can be disassembled easily and then make a container within a container. Many thermos bottles come apart.

The reference I gave earlier, Nick Wenger made the 1st models for the 1st Keller O'Neil Mystic Kettles for Keller O'Neil, but he just could not build them on a time schedule Mr. O'Neil was happy with. That is why I suggested you contact him. He knows the systems and may have answer for you, and has thought of other ways to construct what you want out of a bottle of some type or even a Flask. Pictures of his Kettle are on his website.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
I contacted Mr. Nick Wenger, but he cannot work with stainless steel.
Yours,

Ivan
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
I always thought Stainless Steel was completely safe. My dad used to work as a welder and just told me that welded SS is safe for drinking.
Yours,

Ivan
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
307 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Perhaps stainless steel is just more difficult to weld?
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2951 Posts

Profile of niva
Don't think so, if I find the right person who works on it.
Yours,

Ivan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Custom Lota (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL