The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic palm (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I was just wondering if using moisturizer helps or hurts your classic palm?
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
It just depends on you. Different things for different preferences. I personally need a good grip. When I sweat, or it's humid outside, I have a lot better control of my coins. Days where it gets colder and it's dry out, my hands tend to dry out and though toughen up a little, everything kind of seems to slide off. For those situations, I use a spray bottle of Rosewater and Glycerin and that gives my hands a lot of traction, making it much easier to handle cards and coins due to weather changes where I lose my grip. I highly recommend tracking some of it down. Someone gave it to me as a gift, so I don't know where to buy it. I wouldn't imagine that lotion would damage your ability to classic palm though. As long as afterwards, you maintain a good grip. That's whats important for me anyways.

Good luck!
Ferran Rizo
View Profile
New user
Murcia
39 Posts

Profile of Ferran Rizo
From my point of view it s better to palm without any kind of wax. With dry hands is worst to Palm buy is a matter of practice and exercise hands muscles until you find the best way... The bad part of using lotions is that it give you a false palm...
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1490 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Someone on the Café once recommended pure glycerine, from the baking section of a supermarket. You only need a tiny drop and it works well.

If you're having trouble with the palm, try a differently-sized coin. I find large coins to be easiest.

Barry
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of drmagico
It depends on your hands...some people palm better with dry hands and some not..for myself I need to have my hands moist so I use Papercreme which makes my hands moist without being sticky and leaves nothing on the coins...Howard
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Ferran Rizo wrote:
From my point of view it s better to palm without any kind of wax. With dry hands is worst to Palm buy is a matter of practice and exercise hands muscles until you find the best way... The bad part of using lotions is that it give you a false palm...

Pure bull. It doesn’t matter how well-practiced you are, if you have truly dry skin you will not be able to handle coins adequately at all. I'm not talking about mildly,annoying dry skin, but clinical very dry skin. when the humidity an temperature drop come winter, my hands dry out and crack to the point of bleeding in several places. Coins, cards, rings - they all squirt out of my hands as if slipping on ice. The only benefit is that I can do a pumpkin seed squirt with a coin or ring and send it 15' into the air straight up! (No exaggeration). Also my Muscle Pass doubles in distance. But seriously, I cannot hold on to anything smooth or metal. Any moisturizer I use is not sticky and does not permit a "false" classic palm in any way. All I look for is to make my hands have about the same moisture content as most other people so I can handle coins normally.

Just so you don’t think that this is an uncommon problem, here's a list of some pretty well-known magicians who also had dry-hands problems and what they used to help them palm:

Gary Oullet.........Had his own mix sold on Camirand Academy web site
Ed Marlo............Used and recommended Chamberlain's Golden Touch; has it in the cover art of his book "Marlo Without Tears"
Harry Lorayne.......Always keeps a wet hanky next to him on stage
Martin Nash.........Uses SortKwik
Dai Vernon..........Used Chamberlain's Golden Touch
Martin Lewis........Uses Chamberlain's Golden Touch
Frank Garcia........Marketed his own called" Frank Garcia's Manipulation Lotion", said to be same as Chamberlain's Golden Touch
David Roth..........Markets his own brand of bow rosin
Geoff Williams......Uses "Tacky Fingers", similar product to SortKwik
Scott Guinn.........Uses "Pretty Feet and Hands" followed by mixture of equal parts of rose water, glycerin and alcohol
Michael Skinner.....Used "Skinner's Edge Crème", made by SortKwik and originally called "Paper Crème"; carried it in his sock and used it religiously
U. F. Grant.........Sold his own Manipulation Crème, also similar to Chamberlain's Golden Touch

Jim
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I Also Have Dry hands And use Golden touch! It works Great!!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Ferran Rizo
View Profile
New user
Murcia
39 Posts

Profile of Ferran Rizo
He does not speak about critic situations as winter or clinic hands he ask mousturize hands or not to c p.

In winter I have dry hands and it meds difficult to Palm. But I use gloves to warm hands and under gloves I classic Palm coins. Whit glove hands became warm and you can classic Palm. I use normal hand cream but not for Palm only because as I say have dry hands. From my point of view is better not accustomed to use any kind of mosturize but practise Palm with apropiate coins with appropriate size and apropiate rims. Most of the people who says that couldn't Palm atribuite to dry hands but it is because the have not properly developed the muscle palms. I not says that is the case of our fellow. Same happens with people that say that has small hands and couldn't palm properly and In fact is a matter of correct position of the card.

My point of view is not bull is.my opinion based on my long experience with my dry hands not in what I read in a book or seeying in a DVD. And it is I repeat not accustomed to use mosgurize. My opinion it is as valid as yours.

Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2015, Ferran Rizo wrote:

Pure bull. It doesn’t matter how well-practiced you are, if you have truly dry skin you will not be able to handle coins adequately at all. I'm not talking about mildly,annoying dry skin, but clinical very dry skin. when the humidity an temperature drop come winter, my hands dry out and crack to the point of bleeding in several places. Coins, cards, rings - they all squirt out of my hands as if slipping on ice. The only benefit is that I can do a pumpkin seed squirt with a coin or ring and send it 15' into the air straight up! (No exaggeration). Also my Muscle Pass doubles in distance. But seriously, I cannot hold on to anything smooth or metal. Any moisturizer I use is not sticky and does not permit a "false" classic palm in any way. All I look for is to make my hands have about the same moisture content as most other people so I can handle coins normally.

Just so you don’t think that this is an uncommon problem, here's a list of some pretty well-known magicians who also had dry-hands problems and what they used to help them palm:

Gary Oullet.........Had his own mix sold on Camirand Academy web site
Ed Marlo............Used and recommended Chamberlain's Golden Touch; has it in the cover art of his book "Marlo Without Tears"
Harry Lorayne.......Always keeps a wet hanky next to him on stage
Martin Nash.........Uses SortKwik
Dai Vernon..........Used Chamberlain's Golden Touch
Martin Lewis........Uses Chamberlain's Golden Touch
Frank Garcia........Marketed his own called" Frank Garcia's Manipulation Lotion", said to be same as Chamberlain's Golden Touch
David Roth..........Markets his own brand of bow rosin
Geoff Williams......Uses "Tacky Fingers", similar product to SortKwik
Scott Guinn.........Uses "Pretty Feet and Hands" followed by mixture of equal parts of rose water, glycerin and alcohol
Michael Skinner.....Used "Skinner's Edge Crème", made by SortKwik and originally called "Paper Crème"; carried it in his sock and used it religiously
U. F. Grant.........Sold his own Manipulation Crème, also similar to Chamberlain's Golden Touch

Jim
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
A lot of the magicians in the above list used lotions to help in handling cards, not coins, although there are obviously people who have problems with both.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5114 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
A lot of the magicians in the above list used lotions to help in handling cards, not coins, although there are obviously people who have problems with both.

True, I also find that Chamberlins Golden Touch works great for my card work but not so much with coins (where I need to sometimes use rosin or a "wet powder" for climbing or weightlifting I once found).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Ferran,

I didn't see where you were speaking to your own experience with dry hands. Almost every time we have a thread about dry hands there are a few who claim that using dry skin treatments are just an excuse for not practicing enough. Gets a little annoying, and it felt like you were heading that way. If not then.... Sorry about that!

@Ray: I believe I referred to coins, cards, and rings in my post. Dry does affect them all!

Jim
Ferran Rizo
View Profile
New user
Murcia
39 Posts

Profile of Ferran Rizo
Mac

Thanks for your reply it was all a misenderstanding.

Regards

Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, J-Mac wrote:
Ferran,

I didn't see where you were speaking to your own experience with dry hands. Almost every time we have a thread about dry hands there are a few who claim that using dry skin treatments are just an excuse for not practicing enough. Gets a little annoying, and it felt like you were heading that way. If not then.... Sorry about that!

@Ray: I believe I referred to coins, cards, and rings in my post. Dry does affect them all!

Jim
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jim, when you mentioned cards, coins, and rings, you were referring to your hands. Your case seems severe. I was referring to the list of magicians and that the reason most of them used lotions was for handling cards, not coins. For instance, as far as I know, Harry Lorayne does not, as a rule, do coin tricks.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8470 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Obviously, cards are my first love, but - the very first item I ever had in print was in 1952 and it was a coin trick! And, you might want to check out Cointrol, One-Hand Coin Vanish and Vanishing Dust in Vol. 2 of my "Best Ever" DVD set, and also Han Ping Chien Finesse in Vol. 4.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Hi Harry.

Ray: I doubt there's any category of magic that Harry hasn't practiced, performed, and most likely taught!

Jim
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I didn't say Lorayne "never" does coin tricks. I said "as a rule." I should perhaps have said "not often." Harry, do you need to use a wet handkerchief for your coin work as well as your card work?

I too have dry hands, but it only affects my card work, not coins.

And I think a lot of the magicians listed above used lotions for card work, but not coins.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5325 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
What's your point here, Ray? That dry hands are more - or only -beneficial for card magic?

Wow - how do I get into these inane conversations in the first place?!

Bye!
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4841 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Well I use it for Coin work!!! And all Year round!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1841 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jim, please don't put words in my mouth. I don't even know what it is you claim I am saying. I'm talking specifically about the list of magicians above, why they, in particular, used lotion--or wet hankies. I say it was mostly, but of course not exclusively, for card work.

But no matter--let us drop this inane conversation.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
My palms were blessed sweaty Smile So CP for me was perhaps easier to learn than for others.
I've found that if I'm dehydrated, my palms dry out, and I can't classic palm as well.
I can still CP a single, but multiple coins becomes more risky.
Coin magic has made me realise how often we get dehydrated, as I can tell that I am at some point most days.
If I'm going to perform at a gig, I make sure to drink lots of water throughout the day.

Perhaps just something to consider...

Also, as an impromptu solution, am I the only one who gives their palm a little lick? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Classic palm (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL