The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » SPECTRE by Prof BC (259 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I have it in my hands. What a beautiful piece of work it is. I will be reading through the book looking for an effect then when I'm done I shall read the instruction manual.

The aging is perfect. The customer service and delivery was outstanding. Cannot say enough good things about Prof BC's effects and Gemini Artifacts.

Thanks for making this available to the community.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Silvertongue wrote:
I have it in my hands. What a beautiful piece of work it is. I will be reading through the book looking for an effect then when I'm done I shall read the instruction manual.

The aging is perfect. The customer service and delivery was outstanding. Cannot say enough good things about Prof BC's effects and Gemini Artifacts.

Thanks for making this available to the community.

Be sure to read the book cover to cover before reading the instruction manual. No skipping!

My book is in a sorting facility in Miami. Patience.
Lo Pan
View Profile
Special user
Haven't slept in weeks - but I now have
753 Posts

Profile of Lo Pan
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, bartleby wrote:

Be sure to read the book cover to cover before reading the instruction manual. No skipping!

You Sir are hilarious! Just made my morning....

Mine has just arrived in Honolulu - the anticipation builds!
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
I purposefully held off on going deep into the manual until I spent some time with the book. Having now went through and randomly opened it to dozens of spots to read and look for the pattern, I have to say: this thing is stunningly encoded. The right/left is a bit evident, but a lay person would never catch on. The rest, I didn't even notice/catch on even though I was well aware that something was encoded in there. I can't imagine the massive amount of time that goes into rewriting/encoding all this--truly impressive.

The cover, feel, and heft of the book is gorgeous, and fits in beautifully with the rest of the Dopps collection. If I had one wish regarding the aging, it'd be that all the pages were edge-treated a la the other Dopps as opposed to just the first few pages, but I also realize that would mean us waiting weeks (if not months) of additional time for everyone to receive their books.

After fully reading through the manual now and doing a few mock page openings and working with the stones myself, I'm really digging that this is a "reading"-focused book. While I obviously love the Dopps concept, I see myself getting more mileage out of Spectre and would love to see more books in this vein. Fantastic thinking in this throughout!

A surprising extra effect in the manual to read was the integration of Bobby Hasbun's C0dex V technique. Without a doubt, I'll be making up the suggested materials (which is a fantastic take on it by the Prof) and using that concept when doing a reading with the book. I also noticed the multiple references in that section to a "forthcoming book" that will continue the C0dex vein (but, disappointingly, didn't mention more info!) It figures... my wallet is recovering from this purchase, and I'm already dying to lay down money for whatever this mentioned forthcoming book is.

I still don't know how sold I am on the written title chart, but the beauty of this book is that it lends itself to any number of creative ways to facilitate a reading. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this one, and can't wait to see what additional concepts/methods people come up with (on the Dopps forum, perhaps?) to further the reading possibilities. I am very, very happy with my purchase of Spectre.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
When I ordered SPECTRE, I wasn't quite sure what I was getting, other than "a book used to do readings." I ordinarily would have little interest in such a thing (I don't do readings) but, in light of Prof BC's involvement and the interesting backstory, I decided to take a chance. I'm glad I did.

My interest in SPECTRE increased when I read the excellent performance manual and saw that, not only is it coded on a par with Doppelganger, it also links to those books in ways I hadn't expected.

Impressed as I was by the manual (which I printed out and had bound), I held off on commenting here until I had the actual SPECTRE book in my hand. It looks good! The aging is subtle, which I like- I would much prefer to present a "well preserved old book" than one which looks like it had been fished out of a sewer.

I said I don't do readings but SPECTRE may change that (for entertainment purposes only, of course). The book's provenance and connection to a specific spirit make it far more compelling than the generic tools typically used by readers.

SPECTRE looks like another winner from Prof BC! I'd say more but I'd only be repeating much of what Pasteboard Alchemist said in the previous post.

Note on the COA: It took me a heck of a long time to find my # on the COA. In case you haven't found yours, it should be written across the middle of the little lady standing on the Ouija board. My COA only says "#11 of, " though. There's no # following the "of."

Another note: I almost threw away the packaging before retrieving the sack of stones. If you're thinking "What stones?" go check your wastebasket! Smile
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Fished out of a sewer hahaha
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Just received my copy. As noted by MG, the aging is spot on; the reading system is very clever and the concept/handling of having the spirit providing the reading rather than you is wonderfully convincing. And hat's off to Vic / GeminiArtifacts for an outstanding purchasing experience:

Thu. 9/3, received email that Spectre will be available for order on 9/4
Fri. 9/4, 7am, received email with link to order, and notifying me that books will start shipping 9/8
Fri. 9/4, 7:45am, sacrifice to the god PayPal performed, order placed
Fri. 9/4, 7:46am, received link to download a copy of the performance manual
Sun. 9/6, received tracking # for the shipment
Thu. 9/10, mysterious apport in my mailbox in the form of a book (and stones)
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
TheHauntedOne.com
Assembly11.com
Aurum
View Profile
New user
Wiltshire, UK
75 Posts

Profile of Aurum
A UK customer here... I've lost count how many times I've checked the tracking details! The package has made it to Miami - I'm guessing it'll be in my hands by Tue / Wed of next week.

In the meantime, it's great reading the posts from those who've received their order!
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, TH1 wrote:
Just received my copy. As noted by MG, the aging is spot on; the reading system is very clever and the concept/handling of having the spirit providing the reading rather than you is wonderfully convincing. And hat's off to Vic / GeminiArtifacts for an outstanding purchasing experience:

Thu. 9/3, received email that Spectre will be available for order on 9/4
Fri. 9/4, 7am, received email with link to order, and notifying me that books will start shipping 9/8
Fri. 9/4, 7:45am, sacrifice to the god PayPal performed, order placed
Fri. 9/4, 7:46am, received link to download a copy of the performance manual
Sun. 9/6, received tracking # for the shipment
Thu. 9/10, mysterious apport in my mailbox in the form of a book (and stones)

Great customer service!
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2156 Posts

Profile of RCP
"Another note: I almost threw away the packaging before retrieving the sack of stones. If you're thinking "What stones?" go check your wastebasket! Smile "

Thank you, I did too.
bartleby
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of bartleby
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Aurum wrote:
A UK customer here... I've lost count how many times I've checked the tracking details! The package has made it to Miami - I'm guessing it'll be in my hands by Tue / Wed of next week.

In the meantime, it's great reading the posts from those who've received their order!

Yes. I suspect USPS may consider my IP is conducting a denial of service attack.
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1250 Posts

Profile of reese
Worth every shekel. An item that will be well used. My gratitude to all those involved in its creation.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
not only is it coded on a par with Doppelganger...

What are you talking about, MG? The coding on SPECTRE is even more extensive than Doppelganger, resulting in potentially eleven different phases (as the manual points out)! This may make SPECTRE slightly more difficult to master but, given the additional number of possible hits, I'd say it's well worth any extra effort.

Considering the amount of editing and coding necessary to create this book, it's amazing that Prof BC didn't go cross-eyed and/or insane in the process. SPECTRE is an achievement.

The more I study the book and manual, the clearer it becomes to me that, given the proper setting, the proper buildup, and the proper sitter, SPECTRE could be extremely powerful. I can only hope that owners of this book choose to use it for good. In the wrong hands, this could be dangerous!

If you're still on the fence about this, I suggest hopping off. My own personal spirit guide tells me that, one day, second-hand copies of SPECTRE will fetch the same kind of prices Gh*st now goes for. Smile
reese
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell
1250 Posts

Profile of reese
I dislike folks advocating buying an effect because it might be a good investment on the resale market. For a few reasons.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5455 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
If you're still on the fence about this, I suggest hopping off. My own personal spirit guide tells me that, one day, second-hand copies of SPECTRE will fetch the same kind of prices Gh*st now goes for. Smile

I love this quote as it unintentionally makes light of the often bizarre nature of this bizarre art. "Second-hand copies" of a new book...which was designed to look old, but now potentially resold as a used prop.

Logic should dictate that the "used" version of this prop is in fact better, as it's been aged naturally over the course of many hours of manipulation and handling, which is a far more time-consuming process than chemical aging.

It's getting late so I ramble, and think about such things.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Quote:
On Sep 10, 2015, reese wrote:
I dislike folks advocating buying an effect because it might be a good investment on the resale market. For a few reasons.

That's not what I meant. I'm saying you may want to buy it now because if you don't, one day you may have to pay through the nose for a second-hand copy. People do resell these things (whether or not you or I dislike it) and they seldom go for less than the original price. I don't own Gh*st and the last time I saw one up for sale on eBay, it sold for a price beyond my budget.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5455 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
MG is spot on.

Forget the back-and-forth, this effect/prop is a keeper. MG's not advocating investment, but trying to let those who have been early fans of these artists, know that this may be the time to put some 3D green on the 2D artists they've been supporting. Or, they may have to pay more later because others have already realized the value.

For all involved, this is not a bad place to be.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
NoT a DuCk!
View Profile
New user
All the cool people have
19 Posts

Profile of NoT a DuCk!
Received yesterday. Amazing in every way. Still awake and excited. I don't want to fully review this until I decide how much I don't want anyone else to have it. Smile
docdazzal
View Profile
Veteran user
San Tan Valley, AZ
343 Posts

Profile of docdazzal
Greetings All...

I received my copy...and printed out the manual, now, with both in hand I am ready to dive deep into the depths of the adventure and secrets that await me. Thank you Vic and Professor BC...the service from Vic was outstanding, always a pleasure doing business with both Vic and the Professor.

Continued Success,
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Psychic & Paranormal Entertainment
www.drdanandco.com
horus1
View Profile
Special user
639 Posts

Profile of horus1
Yes! Got mine!
Thanks Prof and Vic.
What a wonderful release. Brilliance as usual from the Professor.
And Vic - thanks so much for the aging and super quick shipping.
Joy!!
Looking forward to diving into this.
If there are any copies left... cheers to whoever snags this gem!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » SPECTRE by Prof BC (259 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL