The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For whom should I perform? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
I´ve found that my family and friends were more interested in my magic, several months ago, when I was just starting. I think they don´t enjoy seeing my magic (except for some very few particular family members).´So, as I´m trying to progress in my showmanship side, for whom or where should I perform? Thank you
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Whatever audiences you can get and feel comfortable with. It's the amateurs dilemma; finding a large enough audience pool to not have to keep getting new tricks whilst also having a safe enough place to fail and learn.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hola Tomas!

First, get a notebook and make a list of your "repertoire". Write down every trick that you can DO. You could list them in various categories of props, such as: cards, coins, rope, silks etc. Or, list them by their general suitability: close up, parlor, etc.

From your list(s) make up a 15 minute "act" for close up and/or parlor. KEEP IT SIMPLE--MAKE IT FUN! Don't, at this point, consider stage or platform programs. Plan to use tricks that can be done ANYWHERE for ANYBODY.

The Mark Wilson "Complete Course in Magic" was written for people like yourself. And, of course, the TARBELL COURSE! Doc Tarbell will help you learn PRINCIPLES, not just tricks!

Now, rehearse that potential act. (Rehearsal is different from practice. You practice a particular sleight or technique. You rehearse the complete "act" without stopping. So, if you make a mistake, while rehearsing, continue through the whole act. Then, immediately after rehearsing the act, get your note book and, while it's fresh in your mind, write down any problems or mistakes, and consider how to correct them. If possible, run through the rehearsal, again. --and again!

Continue rehearsing until you don't make any mistakes! Each time, you will find it a bit easier.

When you have an act, that you can present, that will entertain a small group, the next project is: to find a "small group"!

"Old folks homes", children's hospitals, etc. are good places to offer to entertain. Explain to the person "in charge" that you are just beginning, and would like to perform for their group. These people are usually happy to have a show, especially when it's free!

"Book" these shows, one at a time. Try to get each appearance video taped. Review the tape as soon as possible, after the show. Again, make notes of any problems, and plan how you will correct them.

It will be helpful, if you can find a magician who will mentor you, especially if the mentor is himself a qualified performer. An ancient LATIN proverb: "NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET" (No one can give what he does not have).

The most recent book on producing an act, is "MAXIMUM ENTERTAINMENT" BY Ken Weber. It's about $40.00. It will help. Ken does not "teach" you any tricks. He discusses how to ENTERTAIN.

To put a trick into your act, there are three steps:

1. Learn how the trick is DONE.

2. Learn how to DO it.

3, Learn how to DO it, SO THAT IT ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE!!!!! (#3 is the hard part!)

Don't expect that you can "buy" some tricks, and become a magician overnight. (You can't BUY tricks! You can only BUY props and/or secrets. (Most of the secrets are found in BOOKS!)

This whole "process" is NOT EASY! (If it were easy, anyone could do it!)

If you have a problem that you can't overcome by yourself, ask in the "New to Magic" forum. Hopefully, someone will be able and willing to make suggestions.

Another ancient Latin proverb is; "FESTINA LENTE"! (Make haste slowly!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Dick: Isn't a bit daunting to do a show for an expectant group of strangers before having it showed anyone else first?
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Well Dick, you really helped me. Thank you very much
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Dick: Isn't a bit daunting to do a show for an expectant group of strangers before having it showed anyone else first?

Of course it is! Someone has to be first! I remember well, my first show! I had practiced, and rehearsed, and, it went off well (not perfect, but well.)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, TomasKancyper wrote:

"De Nada!"

Planning, preparation,and practice of your presentation make the difference. FESTINA LENTE!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2015, TomasKancyper wrote:

"De Nada!"

Planning, preparation,and practice of your presentation make the difference. FESTINA LENTE!!!
Jason Hutton
View Profile
New user
Atlantic City, NJ
36 Posts

Profile of Jason Hutton
I second Mark Wilson's complete course in magic book, it is excellent. That is really great advice from Dick. Writing your repertoire down and in sub categories really puts your magic in perspective. Just make sure that you write down what you can realistically perform and not what you wish you can. Good luck.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3965 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I know that people have different views of local magic clubs like IBM. However, I think they are a great place to practice your magic with a group of people that are interested and generally supportive. In my club, some of the pros who don't perform constantly, do the same set of tricks over and over, just to stay in practice.

KJ
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Great advice from Dick, of course. I have to second the volunteering advice. For a long time I pretty much only did volunteer magic at the local children's hospital and the VA hospital. These are great places to learn how to approach strangers, how to graciously respond to, "No, I don't want to see some magic," how to fail and recover and how to get over fear and become an entertainer. They are great places because the people you meet in these venues are generally very forgiving if you screw up and if your heart is in the right place you will want your performances to be great for these people so they can enjoy a few minutes of fun while they suffer in the hospital.

After getting my feet wet with many of these trips I did some restaurant work and some very lucrative parties, etc. Now guess what? I don't have any more desire to try and build a business out of my magic due to having to pay taxes, the limited market where I live and the time and energy it takes to grow a business while also working a steady job and supporting my family. If I'd gotten started as a younger, single guy I'd move to a better market and chase my dream, but it is what it is.

But I still have, and will continue to do, my volunteer work. I love magic and I love children. It is a blessing to me to share my magic with people who may otherwise never get to see a magician ever again. Some of these kids have cancer. For a few minutes I get to take their minds off being sick and show them something amazing. And the parents need it too; they are maybe even as much or more appreciative than the children.

So yeah, I second the volunteer work. It is great experience for becoming a better magician, maybe even a better person as you have to put others before yourself- like the days you feel tired and don't want to go, but you go anyway. I may never earn another dime as a magician, but I also don't care. I'm more than happy entertaining the people I get to see at the hospital.

May your journey be blessed!

Theodore-

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » For whom should I perform? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL