We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Close-Up Magic For Kids DVD - Bill Abbott (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fingers_Fidge
View Profile
Regular user
England
123 Posts

Profile of Fingers_Fidge
I see the above DVD advertised on Hank Lee's Web Site:

For over 18 years, professional magician Bill Abbott has been developing and performing the material on this 2-disc DVD set. Watch actual, uncut and hilarious performances shot live on location in a family restaurant. Bill's focus is on original presentations that leave the audience with a truly entertaining experience.
After the performances, Bill takes you step-by-step through the construction of each routine, analyzing the props and using a non-verbal cinematic approach to explaining the technique. All of this is combined with his professional tips and information regarding audience management, creating original presentations and adapting your magic to fit you are as a performer.
* The Sponge Balls - A classic that Bill uses as a perfect opener for kids.
* The Shadow - An extremely visual card change that happens three times in the participant's own hands.
* The Autograph - A motivated card in-wallet routine that leaves a child with a true collector's item they will treasure forever.
* The Ninja Card Trick - Bill's favorite card effect that features finding a selected card at the point of a miniature ninja sword.
* The Mental Photograph - A very strong promotional tool, where a mentally thought of playing card appears on your business card being held by the spectator.
* Edwin Alonzo Boyd - A riveting tale about a real-life jail break demonstrated with a photograph of the criminal that becomes permanently altered at the conclusion.
* The Great Game - A routine with many applications limited only by your imagination A freely selected prize is predicted in advance by the performer, and is given to the child to keep at the end.
* Flash - Bill's closing effect, featuring an original presentation for the ashes on palm.
* Card On Forehead - The classic effect redesigned for young children with a hilarious finish

Not being a Childrens entertaining as such I am always looking for effects that work well for Children.

Anyone seen this DVD and can give comment / review

thanks
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1969 Posts

Profile of iamslow
I would stay away from it, theres not much new stuff here...if you want a good childrens magic dvd, get the one by Terry Herbert
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
samuelchong
View Profile
Loyal user
Penang
237 Posts

Profile of samuelchong
Dan Harlan's Kids' Birthday Party!!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
I think the last two posts may be missing the point. I believe this DVD is aimed more at family restaurant workers than the house party children's magician, hence the close up angle.

Paul.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10805 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Five minites with a pocket hankerchief, Quentin

great video for Kids

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I agree with Paul, Everyone seems to be missing the point none of the Kidshow dvds mentioned above are about CLOSE UP MAGIC FOR KIDS they are all about formal show material. I suppose you could use the pocket mouse thing. I must say though, in truth I always use my adult close up act even if there are kids at the table. I think that if the kids cannot follow the effects you are performing then they are probably too complex for many adults too (particularly when they have been drinking)

Phillip
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
So does anyone have this DVD. I ordered them on Tuesday and should have them soon. I will post what I think when I get them, but I would like to know what others think.

Tim
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Close-up walk-around for kids is much different than birthday magic indeed.

I spoke to a "pro" at a local magic shop (first time visit to a store out of the way and I thought I would get his take on anything new) and asked him for his recommendation on some close-up for kids, with intention of buying and taking something interesting home. He said "mouth coils." Didn't need to open my wallet that day.

From the explanations, I like that this DVD talks about interaction with the kids, visual magic, and take-aways.

MAGICBYTIM, I look forward to your review. I've been considering this DVD as well.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Tim:

I, too, would sure appreciate your review once you view the DVD. It looks good. Michael Close basically gave it a good review last month in MAGIC, but didn't like the knife stabbing routine because he was concerned that kids would try it at home and hurt themselves.

Ron
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
Well I have done walk around for years now but I just started a new walk around job that is on a family/kids night. I realized after I started preparing for this that I did not really have much more than sponge balls that the kids could relate to and really enjoy. I was looking for something that happened in their hands. I hope these DVD's will have some good things.

Does anyone else have any suggestion on other DVD’s or tricks for kids.

Tim
Mr Amazeo
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of Mr Amazeo
I've had Bill Abbott's dvd for several weeks now and I'd give it a thumbs up, but only for restaurant workers that have to deal with families. I work at a TGI Fridays and that's exactly my problem - I have to stow most of the adult material and entertain the kids. So it was refreshing to see a guy that knew how to taylor his material to the little ones. It gave me some good ideas, but I can't really say that I'm using any of it yet - but I'm truely planning on using a couple of these ideas.

I will say that the material isn't really groundbreaking - but it is a lot of good, easy magic that will keep kids, and by default - the adults, very entertained. Bill takes effects that we should all be fairly familiar with and turns them into good, fun presentations. Also as a side note, Bill does a great job giving proper credit for his insperation on each item.

The only thing I probably wouldn't do is some of the cards tricks with little kids (I think one of the kids was like 5 years old or close to it). They have no clue what the suits are and forget about having them remember there card (ok, maybe it's just here in the Northland). I've found that using a blank deck for ambitious card or card on forehead works just as well as a regular deck. All they have to know is that one card has their name on it, they really don't have to know the suits or values.

If you work with kids at all, I thought this dvd would give you some goods ideas about some simple effects that can truely entertain. I liked it - just my opinion.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Seems you need to stick with non-card items up until a mature 9 or a 10 year old. At that point, visual and interactive card magic works well. For example, Here then There gets their attention then Chicago Opener is a nice next trick. The reset is quick and they're both visual, interactive effects AND the magic blows away the adults as well. Could follow with a nice folded card to impossible location that has a theme. I just started doing folded card to matchbox. Seems the reaction is good so far.

For kids age 8 and younger, I stick with sponge balls, an interactive TT silk vanish routine and rabbit monte with a himber wallet, which I haven't used in a while as it's hard to top sponge balls for reaction especially with a final multiple ball revelation.

Sounds like this DVD may have some different ideas, which is always welcome Smile
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
He had some good ideas for routines but the DVD said KIDS walk around. To me these were standard effects that he performed for kids. I too could use most of my routines for both adults and kids; I was expecting a little more "Childishness" to the routines. If you don't know how to use the same card trick you use for an adult group for a family group then this will help you see how. Overall I think this DVD is good with some good ideas. When I said more "Kiddish" I did not mean it in a bad way. I would best compair "kiddish" to a style of persenting. This DVD is not, lets say a David Ginn style, a known kids performer and that is what I though when I first saw "For kids". I expected a more kid stlye I do how ever recommend this DVD just don't let the "For kids" mislead you.

I think a better title would be "How Bill Abbott performs these effects for kids"
When working for kids the more important thing to remember is how you entertain not what you use to entertain. I use card tricks all the time for small children. I have seen some very good magicians flop when working with kids. I have heard a load of comments about how they have seen another magician at another restaurant and how the kids where board. This DVD will give you a good look on how to do standard type card routines for kids. That it self is worth the price of the DVD

PS a lot of people had a hard time getting this to play on their player.
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of T.House
I have this dvd set, and enjoyed watching it, though I cannot really say that I learned as much as I thought I would.

You do get to see some nice presentations of standard effects in a real restaurant setting.

flourish dude mentions that people have had trouble getting this to play. I returned one set because disc 1 skipped so much (disc 2 was fine). In the replacement set, disc 1 also skipped. There appear to be some scratches on it, and cleaning helped somewhat.

As to the effects themselves:

* The Sponge Balls - Nothing really new here.
* The Shadow - Requires some card sleights somewhat beyond the beginner level..
* The Autograph -Celebrity autographs with a Mullica wallet
* The Ninja Card Trick - Card stab through a paper bag. I liked this a lot.
* The Mental Photograph - Where does that hindu boy go to when he vanishes from the top of the rope?
* Edwin Alonzo Boyd - Hey Buddah, can you spare a (paper) dime?
* The Great Game - Very nice presentation for a standard card trick, invented, I think, by Nick Trost.
* Flash - Bill's closing effect, featuring an original presentation for the ashes on palm. Nice presentation, but you will need some equipment.
* Card On Forehead - The classic effect.
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of T.House
I forgot to mention that a complete review of these dvds can be found on Visions at http://www.online-visions.com/reviews/0410closeupkids.html
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Real quick review as I just saw the DVDs this past week. I think they're the best child oriented walk-around magic routines on DVD I've seen to date. I'm not one for "kids party magic" and this isn't such, it's walk around magic that plays in a restaurant or similar venue. I also liked Bill's approach to magic a lot as it mirrored my own, so there's my bias.

I'm typically not one for kid's party magic and didn't like 5 minutes with a hankie (whatever) as I prefer to use magic as a tool for interaction rather than a "look at me" type performance experience. His magic capitalizes on that sort of interaction. I particularly like the card to wallet routine as I really like the Mullica handling but was in limbo on a routine that made sense. This will be the one I use.

The Shadow is great, Mental Photography, Edwin Alonzo Boyd, Flash and Card on Forehead are all very usable and workers, which to me is the highest criteria, and will be astonishing to kids. I though the Great Game was a tease to kids where they could win these great things and were stuck with a small prize and could create a negative reaction.

Although I liked the Ninja Card trick as well, I agree with the previous comments about the risk of someone doing it at home as I would have done so if I was a kid (still so easy for me to think back) but even so said, I would consider doing this parlour style for kids if with the right group.

I give this DVD set an "A." Really liked the material, presentation, framing and Bill's manner and style.
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1638 Posts

Profile of Futureal
It's not a DVD its a home-burnt DVD-R. Beware, these won't play on some players.
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
Hi,

Not true (anymore).
The original run (which went to all the reviewers and many dealers) were DVD-R's.
All of the current discs in circulation (about 1200) have been professionally duplicated and are encoded for world-wide viewing on any player.
If you have one of the original DVD-R's you have a collector's item...that may not play on
your DVD player. Mail the old discs to me and I will send you two of the new ones and a gift
for your hassle.

Cheers

Bill Abbott

P.S. PM me for my mailing address.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
I know I am rezzing and old post but , These DVDs are a great source of solid performance info for a family restaurant worker. good stuff bar none.
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Close-Up Magic For Kids DVD - Bill Abbott (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL