The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Photos of your collections (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
I just like looking at other peoples stuff. If you want to share ... Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I hate looking at other people's stuff and I hate worshiping magic items in general.
They are our tools. Period.

We are nerdy enough as it is. If you're not sure if I'm right, check out all the YouTube videos of "here's all the **** in my close-up case" videos.

Nothing will make you want to distance yourself like a geeky nerdy magician showing off his close-up case.

They are usually 12 years old.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
O.k

I like looking at other peoples stuff.
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
I like being a nerd. Magic is the best nerdiness there is Smile

It's annoying to see the 12 year olds with their 30 different types of decks and every new gadget stuffed in there and practised with once.

However, seeing what stuff a pro keeps in his close up case is interesting - for instance, in some people's case it would be just spare decks and sharpies, some rubber bands and coins.
I keep ninja rings, rope and dye tube as this is stuff that I can perform if the audience is larger than expected.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, David Fillary wrote:

I keep ninja rings, rope and dye tube as this is stuff that I can perform if the audience is larger than expected.

I do the same thing for the same reasons. Being able to do 30 minutes with "just some stuff in your case" for a large group is a very smart thing to be prepared for.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2015, Frank Starsini wrote:
I hate looking at other people's stuff and I hate worshiping magic items in general.

We are nerdy enough as it is. If you're not sure if I'm right, check out all the YouTube videos of "here's all the **** in my close-up case" videos.

Nothing will make you want to distance yourself like a geeky nerdy magician showing off his close-up case.

Words of the century!

Some pros like Bill Malone only needs ONE deck of cards Smile and Shoot Ogawa his rings. And Michael Ammar his wand Smile and Jan Rouen his smile. And the list goes on...
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:
I just like looking at other peoples stuff. If you want to share ... Smile

Seemed like a reasonable post, sorry you got grief. I’m just a hobbyist but aside from a couple big items, all fits one case as I can only remember how to do 30 things then my head explodes...

https://app.photobucket.com/u/DoubleBell......cca6c088

Don’t be deterred, your questions are as valuable as everyone else’s.
"I didn't want him to feel that he could drive the lane with impunity."

- David Robinson
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I do collect wood props, babcock, viking, colin rose, magic wagon and others, I used to collect Cups and Balls, but sold them all.
I will try to get pics and will post
Skeleton
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
318 Posts

Profile of Skeleton
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2015, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:

Ever heard of people collecting Magic?
And also if I ever would look at my magic tricks simply as tools I would quit magic at once, because that would make me the same as say a plumber!
And I couldn't care less about what other people think about my possible nerdiness!
To infinity, and beyond!
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Quote:
Ever heard of people collecting Magic?
And also if I ever would look at my magic tricks simply as tools I would quit magic at once, because that would make me the same as say a plumber!
And I couldn't care less about what other people think about my possible nerdiness!

Thank you Skeleton! Agreed 100%.

This is a great site/forum overall but the nastiness in this particular topic is tough to read. The "We are all nerds..." early in the thread was wholly disingenuous, the context made it seem like it meant "I'm a bully."

"Magicians helping magicians" is in the dang logo, let's stick to that, friends. Enough telling people they are not sharing knowledge right.

Dave

- David Robinson
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Magic, like music, is an art form that often relies on props to create the art. Some of these props are tools, but often they go beyond mere function and become art in and of themselves. To not realize and appreciate this unique quality of magic is doing the practice a great disservice, and ignoring the beauty within the beauty.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
Agreed, Wizard of Oz. If a buddy tells me he got a new rare, expensive electric guitar, I don’t tell him to get back to me when can play it appropriately, I want to see it now!

Dave

- David Robinson
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Here are photos of a small bit of my bizarre collection. During COVID I am working a lot more from home. I bought this secretary in the photos to set up as my home work station, off of our dining room and living room. The upper hutch hold some of my collection so that when I am in hours of daily Zoom calls or computer work, I can look up and enjoy these pieces of theater that are sitting dormant until it is safe to be in groups again. Any two or three of these pieces are able to be routined together for an evening of intimate entertainment.

Here is a photo of the collection with the hutch door closed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_iqyiXE......=sharing

And here is a photo of the collection with the hutch door opened: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uy_5tnS......=sharing

Quite a number of these things will be unknown to folks outside of the Spooky forum on the Café. Happy to hear the thoughts of others as well as see collections of others.

Thanks for posing the original post, Terrible Wizard.

David
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1780 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
I heard from someone that it as difficult pulling those photos up in the links. They are pretty big files, so here are two smaller files:

Hutch closed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AG2yS1k......=sharing

Hutch open: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cQxpPYk......=sharing

PM me if there are any issues opening up these files.

Thanks,

David
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Very elegant and tasteful David. Not too much, not too little, just right.
dbolan
View Profile
Loyal user
Carrollton, Georgia
274 Posts

Profile of dbolan
I love it, David, thanks for sharing.

I also love that we’ve moved from folks being shamed at the start of this thread for sharing pictures to seeing some really unique pictures!, Wonderful!

- David Robinson
davfreeman
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of davfreeman
Thanks for sharing the photos of your collection. I especially love of your book collection. Of the names I could make out in the photos, there are a few that I would love to own.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2015, TheAmbitiousCard wrote:
check out all the YouTube videos of "here's all the **** in my close-up case" videos.

I didn't know about these videos! I've seen some "What's in my sewing bag?" but didn't know about these. Thanks, Frank! Smile

I have a bit of collection of a animal themed pieces- maybe I'll lay them out on my desk and get some pics. Or maybe a video. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I'm working on this. Here's a mysterious sneak peak of a sample of the collection for now:

Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Beautiful objects, and beautiful photo magicalaurie. Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Photos of your collections (28 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL