The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My Evolution as a Busker (61 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
MagicofDesperado
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of MagicofDesperado
Don't draw too many conclusions from your first three months. Then reevaluate.

Dartagnan
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
442 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
I busked around Lisbon years ago including that main shopping street you posted above. There's a big archway at the end where acrobats had set up a huge show complete with a sound system. Unfortunately, one of the acrobats hanging in the giant archway got stuck when the trapeze went sideways and the whole thing had to be called off. There's a human statue named Staticman who performs there, too. Perhaps you've met.
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2015, The Great Zoobini wrote:
I busked around Lisbon years ago including that main shopping street you posted above. There's a big archway at the end where acrobats had set up a huge show complete with a sound system. Unfortunately, one of the acrobats hanging in the giant archway got stuck when the trapeze went sideways and the whole thing had to be called off. There's a human statue named Staticman who performs there, too. Perhaps you've met.

Nice, how was your experience in terms of crowd, hat, cops, those things?

Yeah, I know Staticman, nice guy.

Helder
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
233 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
To be honest I think you cracked the hardest part - getting the people to stop. Personally I am considering land mines!
Let the Entertainment Commence!
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
For those wondering if I'm alive , yes, I still breathe, I'm a little busy with my job but will come back very soon with news.

Keep an eye here, or both. Smile

Helder
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Olä. Bom dia Helder!
I wish you well on your way,.
smiles, warmth,...some stories to tell,..
share with us.

I've no real advise to give you,
you seem to know pretty much what you're up to(!).,
Read thru these old Posts,..
it's an encyclopedia.

As I saw the photo you enclosed, of Lisboa,..
my mind wandered a bit,..
I've never been there.
[I understand, from reliable sources, the best coffee,..
and the most beautiful women in the world(!),
are to be found there!]
{{Since reporting this to my wife,
HER coffee has really improved,..hmm.}}
I wanted to share a prose from Fernando Pessoa, with you.
I pulled out "The Book of Disquiet".
Flipped to the passage,...
and discovered,..
he wrote it,..
31st of April,.. 1930.
85 years ago,... today,
in Lissabon.

"He sang with a velvet soft voice, a song from a far land. The musik allowed unfamiliar words appear trusting. It worked like Fado on the soul, had but no similarity with it.
With his disguised words and his human melody, the song spoke things out,
that the souls of all felt,...but no one knew. He sang in an art of 'captured sleep'.
His eyes went over, with, through the listeners..in a small street-esktase.
The gathered folk heard without the normal critique. The song spoke us all on; and his words
told us oriental secrets of some forgotten race. The city noise was no longer, when we listened.
Traffic rattled so close, that it brushed one of my open jackets.
But I felt the song, and heard nothing. There was a gravity(suction) in the singing of this stranger,
from what we dream of,... or shatters us.
It was an experience on the street,...
and we all noticed,.. the policeman slowly curved the corner.
With the same slowness came near. He stayed a moment long behind the young man,
as though,...rained on.
In this moment held the singer in......
No one spoke a word.
Then, the policeman grabbed him."*

welcome to the Streets,
to the Café,
Gallagher

*{from Portoguesse to German=Bernardo Soares.
German to English=,... sorry: )}.
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2015, gallagher wrote:
Olä. Bom dia Helder!
I wish you well on your way,.
smiles, warmth,...some stories to tell,..
share with us.

I've no real advise to give you,
you seem to know pretty much what you're up to(!).,
Read thru these old Posts,..
it's an encyclopedia.

As I saw the photo you enclosed, of Lisboa,..
my mind wandered a bit,..
I've never been there.
[I understand, from reliable sources, the best coffee,..
and the most beautiful women in the world(!),
are to be found there!]
{{Since reporting this to my wife,
HER coffee has really improved,..hmm.}}
I wanted to share a prose from Fernando Pessoa, with you.
I pulled out "The Book of Disquiet".
Flipped to the passage,...
and discovered,..
he wrote it,..
31st of April,.. 1930.
85 years ago,... today,
in Lissabon.

"He sang with a velvet soft voice, a song from a far land. The musik allowed unfamiliar words appear trusting. It worked like Fado on the soul, had but no similarity with it.
With his disguised words and his human melody, the song spoke things out,
that the souls of all felt,...but no one knew. He sang in an art of 'captured sleep'.
His eyes went over, with, through the listeners..in a small street-esktase.
The gathered folk heard without the normal critique. The song spoke us all on; and his words
told us oriental secrets of some forgotten race. The city noise was no longer, when we listened.
Traffic rattled so close, that it brushed one of my open jackets.
But I felt the song, and heard nothing. There was a gravity(suction) in the singing of this stranger,
from what we dream of,... or shatters us.
It was an experience on the street,...
and we all noticed,.. the policeman slowly curved the corner.
With the same slowness came near. He stayed a moment long behind the young man,
as though,...rained on.
In this moment held the singer in......
No one spoke a word.
Then, the policeman grabbed him."*

welcome to the Streets,
to the Café,
Gallagher

*{from Portoguesse to German=Bernardo Soares.
German to English=,... sorry: )}.

Mr Gallagher, thanks for your comments and poem. Fernando Pessoa was a genius.
The coffee joke it's interesting. Looks like can be applied to other things. Smile Smile Smile

PS: will try to come out to the same pitch I went on first day next Sunday. The weather looks good and I have that day off. Smile

Helder
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Helder

I am enjoying the story about your busking journey - all the best for the weekend mate.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Here's a little report of my day 3 on the pitch.

I arrive there with this in mind '' I don't care if they don't stop, I will practice.'' and I start putting the table and props in place, before I finish I was with 5 or 6 people in front of me and kids. The hat, the table and sign helps a lot stopping them. But something come to my mind to stop the first group, I was with a camera in my bag, if they don't stop, a good solution could be aproaching a group of 2/3 people with kids, with the cam and say '' do you mind taking a picture of me? '' after they do it, ''oh by the way, my name is Helder, what's yours? Have you seen the best card trick in the world? No?! Come here, I will show you.'' Will try it in the future.

With this group in front of me I start asking names and I give a deck of cards for one spectator shuffle. I said something like '' I will show you one of the best card tricks in the world but first let me show my favorite coin trick and I did my ONE COIN ROUTINE, this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCPGyNdodtg , with patter. The reactions were great, it's very strong as I expected.

Then I did my SPONGE BALL ROUTINE, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=navZM4oj9yg , another great routine with magic happening in the hands of a kid. Some problems with the wind, need to figure out a solution for this, when I put the balls on table the wind and gravity started to play with them.A possible solution can be give the balls to a kid to hold them. Need to think about it.

And finnaly AMBITIOUS CARD ROUTINE with Jay Sankey Papperclipped end.I put a presentation on this as one of the best tricks in the world. Here I get back the deck I give at the first group, so there's less change they leave, because they are holding a prop, also the idea is overlapping the routines, for the same reason, I give the card on paperclip to a kid before I finish the sponge ball routine.Same problem with wind, need to figure out how I will solve this on ambitious card.

One thing that I start doing here was asking names, and envolving a lot of spectators. It can be only shuffle the deck or sign this card but helps a lot on connecting with them, but need a lot of work yet on this.

As you see, I don't did the cups today, especially because I realize that one of my mistakes on first day was show too long for a newbie. So today I did half of the time, only these 3 tricks, more or less, 8 minutes. I think next time I can do this sequence:

One Coin Routine

Sponge Balls ( with a kid )

Cups and Balls

Changing the Ambitious card for Cups and Balls I solve the problem with wind easily. And I will make them clap and cheer before the cups, at the end of sponge ball routine. In terms of presentation the cups will be the show and the other routines the warm up.

What I learn today? Thanks for asking.

I learn that what I was thinking that could be more difficult, stopping them, becomes the easy part. The hard part now is organize them in a semi circle and connecting more with them. Step by step I get there. It just a matter of keep doing it, I think. The hats lines I did before revealing that the sign card was the card on paperclip. With the card in my hands I said something like ''before I reveal why this is one of the best card tricks in the world let me say something...HAT LINES'' The hat lines need a little more work too, but not bad at all.

Thanks

Helder
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Sounds like a good day as you have learnt a lot from it.

How long were you out on the streets today?
How was the hats?
Is there many people in that area/at your pitch?

Thanks for the updates, I'm enjoying reading it.

Rich
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Helder

Thanks for the update - I like how you are working through what is best for your situation.

I enjoyed watching the videos - yes the sponge ball routine (which had great moves) would be an issue in the wind - I am sure you will work through this for the busking application. Clearly the coin routine has no issues with wind.

So - how many shows did you do and BTW were the hats ok???????

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob). Smile
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Good to see your evolution as a busker...
As I told before, e really love that freaking hat, looking at it, it's impossible not to give you a smile even for a serious person... The painting in the bottom of table is a nice bit too... if I busk more in the future maybe I will try your idea, obiviuously with a diferent aproach... your magic is impecable and I don't have anything more to say about it... Hope you don't share here any of those secret bits I told via facebook, I know some of them are hard to believe, but if you give a try, you will see that is pure gold... Smile
Don't bother to much about displaying them correctly... there are some moments when you should stop to be a magician, and pass to your lion tamer vein, and them come back to the magician...
waiting for more of you...
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
Sounds like a good day as you have learnt a lot from it.

How long were you out on the streets today?
How was the hats?
Is there many people in that area/at your pitch?

Thanks for the updates, I'm enjoying reading it.

Rich

I stay about an hour on the pitch. It was too hot the weather.
Yes, the hats were good.
The people on that area, more or less 15 adults and 10 kids.

How about you, have you already started busking?

Helder
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2015, troppobob wrote:
G'day Helder

Thanks for the update - I like how you are working through what is best for your situation.

I enjoyed watching the videos - yes the sponge ball routine (which had great moves) would be an issue in the wind - I am sure you will work through this for the busking application. Clearly the coin routine has no issues with wind.

So - how many shows did you do and BTW were the hats ok???????

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob). Smile

Thanks for watching mr. Bob. I did one show with a good crowd, then I did bits and pieces for 2/3 spectators. When I finish my first show come to the table a girl with her mother, I did the coin routine, when I finish it, without I said anything about money, she start taking the wallet, in my mind " ok , do it, I will not stop you" . And basically I did it until I leave the pitch. Now that I look back, a nice thing would be make the first crowd clap and cheer when I finish the Ambitious Card routine and end with Cups and Balls. The conditions were good for a bigger show.

Helder

PS: the hats were good. Smile
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2015, Eduardo wrote:
Good to see your evolution as a busker...
As I told before, e really love that freaking hat, looking at it, it's impossible not to give you a smile even for a serious person... The painting in the bottom of table is a nice bit too... if I busk more in the future maybe I will try your idea, obiviuously with a diferent aproach... your magic is impecable and I don't have anything more to say about it... Hope you don't share here any of those secret bits I told via facebook, I know some of them are hard to believe, but if you give a try, you will see that is pure gold... Smile
Don't bother to much about displaying them correctly... there are some moments when you should stop to be a magician, and pass to your lion tamer vein, and them come back to the magician...
waiting for more of you...

Thanks for your words my friend. Always good learn with you, listen your advices.

PS: I will make sure I don't mess up with you. With that Chuck Norris avatar and Veteran written below we never know.

Helder
Rui
View Profile
New user
Tavira, Portugal
19 Posts

Profile of Rui
Hey man,

This is a great read. I got a couple of questions:

Do you take a friend or two, to take the pictures, or you always get some potential spectator to take them for you?

Do you use a regular paperclip on "paperclipped", or a bigger (more visual) prop like a clothes peg (mola de roupa in portuguese)? I think Denis Behr did a version with a clothes peg, and in the street a bigger clamp for the card might be a good ideia.

Anyways, always good to hear from you.

Cheers,

RG
helder
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
958 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, Rui wrote:
Hey man,

This is a great read. I got a couple of questions:

Do you take a friend or two, to take the pictures, or you always get some potential spectator to take them for you?

Do you use a regular paperclip on "paperclipped", or a bigger (more visual) prop like a clothes peg (mola de roupa in portuguese)? I think Denis Behr did a version with a clothes peg, and in the street a bigger clamp for the card might be a good ideia.

Anyways, always good to hear from you.

Cheers,

RG

Hi, thanks for posting my friend. When I go with friends like 1st day they take pictures of me and the crowd, when I go alone like last day I don't do it. In this case I just ask one spectator to take this one and he took one with me too.

In Pappercliped I use this:

It's a piece of ribbon with about 25 inches +/- . A kid hold it high. I use this because I want it very visible when they are holding it and when I remove from the card they can see very clear that I remove the ribbon without mention anything.
I know those options you mentioned but I prefer these.

Hope you like it

Helder
Rui
View Profile
New user
Tavira, Portugal
19 Posts

Profile of Rui
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2015, helder wrote:

It's a piece of ribbon with about 25 inches +/- . A kid hold it high. I use this because I want it very visible when they are holding it and when I remove from the card they can see very clear that I remove the ribbon without mention anything.
I know those options you mentioned but I prefer these.

Hope you like it

Helder

I do like it. A lot. We never talked about this, but I had a feeling you would end up with a good solution.

Cheers,

RG
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1468 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I would tie the ribbon to a stick so that it is even more higher.
SugarRayRick
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of SugarRayRick
Hi Helder,

When you had only 2 or 3 participants. Did you still hat them? Or just used it as an opportunity to practice?

I'm hoping to hit the streets in the next month or so. I still have to pick up a table.

Rich
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My Evolution as a Busker (61 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL