The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Took Brainwave deck to work today ... (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mooimimi
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of mooimimi
I have a BD, and I (and all the spectators) love it (it can also be good on kids, but you need to emphasize certain points more than you normally would)!
You wrote about a brainwave deck without counting, but with usage such as ID usage. It sounds good to me so far, but I never had an ID - how do you use it?
Ryanhowell
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ryanhowell
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:

F) Sometimes the colour change second reveal seems to really add a noticeable punch, sometimes it barely registers. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with that, but I suspect it's my presentation or pacing. I'll work on this over the week and see if I can improve this. I might try alternative presentations to the ID 'magic' and see what happens.

Terrible Wizard - Sounds like you're having fun! Keep at it. I always find the BW and ID perfect for edging off nerves and practising on interacting with your audience without having to worry too much about the trick. Sometimes I just walked around town with a BW or ID and see how many people I can approach and perform for.

In regards to the colour of the box, no one will ever mention it. It's just something magicians notice, not lay people, forget it.

Some people feel like they need to give a reason or explanation as to why the card is a different colour back.. Here's a rough script I've used before:

'Imagine you walk into a shop, and there's playing cards on the shelves. There's blue decks and there's red decks, pick one up, remember the colour but don't tell me. Now remove the plastic wrap and throw it away. Look at the cards, in brand new deck order, you can see the Ace of Spades? The Queen of hearts? Choose a card, a completely random card, one that calls out to you. Take it out of the deck and turn it over, put it back in the deck and shuffle the deck real good... blah blah blah

Now when it comes to the reveal, I also ask them to tell me what colour deck they chose, if it's the colour they see at first, then I make a comment about it being easy as it's a 50/50 and continue with the reveal of the card. If it's the colour that will be on the back of their selected card, I don't mention it until after the reveal. I'll say, 'Oh, what colour deck do you choose again?' then tell them to turn the card over. Mind blown.
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
I prefer BW and almost always get great reactions from it.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Terrible Wizard wrote:
Quote:
I was suprised that compared to some other tricks I've done at work the reaction was not so much laughter or an instant, 'How did you do that?', but more subdued/quiet comment and looks of extreme puzzlement. At first I thought this was because the effect wasn't working or my presentation sucked, but it seems to be more that the magic is so strong that they react in shock and bewilderment. It just doesn't compute in their minds. I'll try and get more feedback to see if I'm right about this over the week. The feedback I've had so far seems to confirm this.

I'm guessing that you're correct.

A local professional magicians who had created a new act told me he took something out of his second show because it seemed to get little reaction in the first show. After the second show, multiple people came up to him who had been to the first show, and came back specifically to see the routine he had removed. They were stunned into silence by it.

Terrible Wizard wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes the colour change second reveal seems to really add a noticeable punch, sometimes it barely registers. I'm not sure exactly what's going on with that, but I suspect it's my presentation or pacing

I can also guess the answer to the "added punch."

A reversed card might be explained by sleight-of-hand, or some mechanical method. Having a different color back rules that out. Whit Hayn mentioned this aspect of Brainwave in another topic. I suspect this is the reason Dai Vernon created the Brainwave deck.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Took Brainwave deck to work today ... (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL