The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing Mentalism for Young Minds "Scrabbled" (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
I have been asked to perform (with our local ring) for a group of 5-10 year olds. I like "scrabbled" but was wondering if anyone has performed it for such a group and how it went?

Thanks.

John
PsiDroid
View Profile
Inner circle
2164 Posts

Profile of PsiDroid
5 to 10 years ??

why not some "children coloring book" ??
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Due to circumstances beyond my control (time limits, pros in the ring, etc...) I get one trick and coloring book is taken...I like the concept of scrabbled but didn't know if anyone here had performed it.
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Most kids that age will not comprehend the first thing about mentalism. There's so much that's new and unknown, especially towards the younger ages, that almost anything is just some cool stuff they haven't seen yet. About the only thing I can think of is Danny Archer's Animental.

Ed
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Most of this isn't mentalism in reality it is more mental magic, especially in the environment of it being performed in conjunction with magic.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, Ed_Millis wrote:
Most kids that age will not comprehend the first thing about mentalism. There's so much that's new and unknown, especially towards the younger ages, that almost anything is just some cool stuff they haven't seen yet. About the only thing I can think of is Danny Archer's Animental.

Ed

I don't think the OP is asking for mentalism routines that will play for kids, but is asking if anyone has any experience with a specific routine (scrabbled) from volume on of a two volume set dealing specifically with performing mentalism for kids.

There are some great articles and chapters in both volumes by respected/known folks like Mark Strivings, Banachek, Greg Arce and more on how to effectively perform mentalism for kids.

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Most of this isn't mentalism in reality it is more mental magic, especially in the environment of it being performed in conjunction with magic.

I agree that this is likely to be the case, but I think it has a lot more to do with routining, environment and presentation than the age group or the routines.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
"I don't think the OP is asking for mentalism routines that will play for kids, but is asking if anyone has any experience with a specific routine (scrabbled) from volume on of a two volume set dealing specifically with performing mentalism for kids.

There are some great articles and chapters in both volumes by respected/known folks like Mark Strivings, Banachek, Greg Arce and more on how to effectively perform mentalism for kids."

Yes, seadog93, that was the intent of my post. Sorry if I was unclear. I agree that it's closer to mental magic, but was wondering about that specific effect..."scrabbled". BTW, I really like the first volume and am looking for volume two.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
321 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
I have not performed Scrabbled but am considering it as I do perform a lot of mentalism routines for kids. THEY DO GET IT! I perform Guessin Gumballs from Jack Dean out of that book on every show. I think if you aim Scrabbled more towards the 9-10 year olds you will have a hit.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Young Minds in my opinion (regarding Mentalism) is for me 8-10 years as minimum. Below that the cognitive operation isn't concrete enough to understand the mysterious factor in Mentalism.

My recommendation: Perform magic tricks for them.

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Scrabble itself, let alone mentalism, isn't for five-year-olds. The recommended ages for the game by the manufacturer is 8 and up.

http://www.hasbro.com/scrabble/en_US/sho......D4:en_US
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, PsiDroid wrote:
5 to 10 years ??

why not some "children coloring book" ??

For a second there, I thought the Café had let Parmenion back in!
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I do shows for kids, and I almost always do just magic tricks.
That being said, I've done mentalism for kids plenty of times and it goes over very well, (and gone over as mentalism not magic)
Also, my 5 and 8 year olds love doing drawing dupes and hellstromism with me (although, the latter primarily because I suck at it!), and blindfold routines and kurotsuke are always a hit.

I haven' re-read it, but Mark Striving's article on effectively mentalism effectively to preschoolers was really wonderful.

I don't know anything about scrabble though; I never thought of it as a kids game, but I've never played it.
I wouldn't do spelling tricks for mostly young kids, but 5-10 is a very large difference and if the audience is mostly 10 year olds, or for whatever they were the target (e.g. this sounds like a group show and perhaps some routines are focused on younger and some on older) it might be great.

greerj,
I hope you let us know how it goes. When is it?
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, seadog93 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2015, Ed_Millis wrote:

Ed

I don't think the OP is asking for mentalism routines that will play for kids, but is asking if anyone has any experience with a specific routine (scrabbled) from volume on of a two volume set dealing specifically with performing mentalism for kids.

My apologies. I'm not familiar with these books. But they do sound good.

Best of luck!
Ed
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
The show itself is Sunday afternoon. Three magicians, me and a range of 5-10 yr olds w/ parents. The magicians are doing some silks, an ickle pickle, coils, balloon animals, etc...The "scrabble" effect I was going to do requires a kid that can take the letters M,M,E,R,H and A and spell the word hammer. We're not playing scrabble, per se, but we both get 6 letters to make one word. Blind draw. I will not be able to make a word, they will make hammer, and at the end there is a little twist. Mental magic, I know, but a little different than the usual.

The scrabble game is actually a scrabble junior game, ages 5 and up, but I understand your point Mr. Cassidy. Scrabble isn't for five year olds, but I was gearing this one thing (which is all I get) for the 8-10 crowd.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Why not pick two kids or more to work together forming a word? That way you'd reduce the chance of a single volunteer not being able to figure out "hammer."
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Why not simply do the "longer arm" trick... kids love it! I know because Parmenion and I do! Smile Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
greerj
View Profile
Loyal user
East Tennessee
283 Posts

Profile of greerj
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Why not pick two kids or more to work together forming a word? That way you'd reduce the chance of a single volunteer not being able to figure out "hammer."

Thank you. I will do that.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I think a drawing duplication would work best in this circumstance.or a blindfold routine where you describe drawings the children have made. The blindfold could add some comedy for the kids if you play it right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing Mentalism for Young Minds "Scrabbled" (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL